Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtfusion - SolusVM/Virtualizor killer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtfusion - SolusVM/Virtualizor killer?

TejyTejy Member
edited January 2022 in General

I've found this amazing piece of software, which seems to be created by the old SolusVM founder.

Pricing: 15$/month with unlimited VMs. Which seems a bit high, but seems logic with features, and beautiful UI.

Compatible with Blesta and WHMCS! :D

That's a new game challenger, on a specific market where a middle-budget and reliable software was missing.

Amazing UI, looks like based on Tailwind.

Comments

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

What so special about it?

SolusVM/Virtualizor is already dinosaur.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • looks nice but does it work?

virtualizor looks nice too but still said to be much buggy

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

Looks good 😮

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Am I missing something here?

What's there to kill? Those two you mentioned are pretty much already dead.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Debian 11 hypervisor setup

Currently, VirtFusion only supports simple bridge networking and requires a network bridge named br0.
    Various other networking types are planned for VirtFusion with priority for routed and Open vSwitch controlled.

This means routed IPv6 isn't there, and therefore VirtFusion is junk until this feature is added.

• @deank said:

It does such a great job that it's already killing something that's already dead!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Wow, that's like beating a dead horse, ain't it?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2022

@deank said:
    Wow, that's like beating a dead horse, ain't it?

I hate you.

How did I not see it coming.

• @Shakib said:
    What so special about it?

SolusVM/Virtualizor is already dinosaur.

What do you mean dinosaur ? Are they 'dead' or something ? Sorry I dont follow

• @deank said:

Could you please list me equivalent "modern" software?
    Except SolusIO and @fleio I can't see another real competitor in this specific segment?

• Exclusive early adopter Products.

These products are only available while VirtFusion is in its infancy. Base prices are locked for the lifetime of the license and are only subject to inflation-based price changes.

Yeah no. That means price hike will follow as soon as things picks up or you have to pay for “features” that are included with “new license”.

I don’t mind paying for it but by quickly glancing their website, I can easily tell that the vision is to charge per instance. Nah thanks.

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

I've been using VirtFusion over the past couple of weeks, assisting the main developer in testing new features and I can say this will be a killer of SolusVM v1 and Virtualizor. He is extremely competent and knows what providers need/demand. We are switching to it full time on Jan 28th.

The software is still being actively developed, and as such pricing won't be absolutely final as @seriesn has mentioned but it won't be a case of $5 per core like SolusIO as you have assumed. I've already asked this and it will be within the range of companies on LET being able to afford, i.e $20-$30 per month per hypervisor. Which in my opinion is entirely within what should be charged for the level of quality. You pay $10 per month for Virtualizor but it's falling apart at the seams, this will be a complete and WORKING product. It is worth the extra money.

The VF team is extremely contactable and have already introduced certain features we needed to make the switch. It's right that they charge more than $10 per month for the feature set it already provides, and what it will provide into the future.

Thanked by 1georgedatacenter
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@yoursunny said: This means routed IPv6 isn't there, and therefore VirtFusion is junk until this feature is added.

How do you get to that conclusion? One can route from the router over the L2 domain that is bridged? The routed IPv6 on our platform, e.g. what is used for MicroLXC NL, is not routed to the hypervisor either and simply uses ordinary bridged to access our VLANs ;-)

@RickBakkr said:

@yoursunny said: This means routed IPv6 isn't there, and therefore VirtFusion is junk until this feature is added.

How do you get to that conclusion? One can route from the router over the L2 domain that is bridged? The routed IPv6 on our platform, e.g. what is used for MicroLXC NL, is not routed to the hypervisor either and simply uses ordinary bridged to access our VLANs ;-)

Yes you could setup routes on the router, but VirtFusion cannot automate this setup so it's still not good.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @speedypage said:
    I've been using VirtFusion over the past couple of weeks, assisting the main developer in testing new features and I can say this will be a killer of SolusVM v1 and Virtualizor. He is extremely competent and knows what providers need/demand. We are switching to it full time on Jan 28th.

The software is still being actively developed, and as such pricing won't be absolutely final as @seriesn has mentioned but it won't be a case of $5 per core like SolusIO as you have assumed. I've already asked this and it will be within the range of companies on LET being able to afford, i.e $20-$30 per month per hypervisor. Which in my opinion is entirely within what should be charged for the level of quality. You pay $10 per month for Virtualizor but it's falling apart at the seams, this will be a complete and WORKING product. It is worth the extra money.

The VF team is extremely contactable and have already introduced certain features we needed to make the switch. It's right that they charge more than $10 per month for the feature set it already provides, and what it will provide into the future.

How speedy are they with their support responses?

That so far is my major pet peeve with virtualizor as we have patched majority of their bugs in house. But some stuff still requires them to explain what is broken.

@seriesn said:

@speedypage said:

How speedy are they with their support responses?

That so far is my major pet peeve with virtualizor as we have patched majority of their bugs in house. But some stuff still requires them to explain what is broken.

Pretty fast, it is worked on full time during UK day time so I would expect a reply pretty instantaneously during this period, and delayed overnight. I imagine this will change as it grows and hires actual support staff. The difference is though, you won't have to open tickets to patch bugs in the first place! :D

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can't seem to find information about who's behind this? Phil?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@AlexBarakov said:
    I can't seem to find information about who's behind this? Phil?

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13728698/officers

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Interesting, one would think there was a longer non-compete. Phil is cool, I guess the project might be a good thing afterall.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2022

Any code audits by recognized/known third party?
    Is Phil the same Phil from Blesta?

• HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

"* Lifetime early adopter monthly discounted pricing." which is still higher than what competitors offer. Secondly I'm satisfied with virtualizor. It pretty much does what it says. So switching launching an expensive option with no real advantage doesn't seems like a good marketing penetration strategy.

• @Hxxx said:
    Any code audits by recognized/known third party?
    Is Phil the same Phil from Blesta?

That's Paul Phillips and no.

@HostMayo said:
    "* Lifetime early adopter monthly discounted pricing." which is still higher than what competitors offer. Secondly I'm satisfied with virtualizor. It pretty much does what it says. So switching launching an expensive option with no real advantage doesn't seems like a good marketing penetration strategy.

That's my take. I get it that they want to be the replacement for Solus/Virtualizor, but their price point doesn't seem to really make it attractive to give it a try.

Early on, a product like this hasn't been "tested" yet. I think it might be useful for them to offer an introductory price/tier to make it easy for people to onboard and "get a feel for the place" before asking for the full $20/month "discounted" price. Like their biggest argument is to try and be the better solution than Solus and Virtualizor but they're not pricing it where it's attractive for people who already have built their system inside those solutions to really give them a try just based on pricing.

Thanked by 1HostMayo
  • CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@speedypage said: Virtualizor but it's falling apart at the seams

Lol? Where? I use virtualizor for like 3-4 Years and i never got problem with this panel. Super user Friendly. The only one problem was the RDNS but fixed in like 2-3 hours.

Paying $ 15-30 per server is really too high a price. Think Proxmox system which is free ahahha

@CiprianoOscar said:

Lol? Where? I use virtualizor for like 3-4 Years and i never got problem with this panel. Super user Friendly. The only one problem was the RDNS but fixed in like 2-3 hours.

Paying $ 15-30 per server is really too high a price. Think Proxmox system which is free ahahha

Virtualizor is unable to display IPv4 default gateway.
    Virtualizor is unable to automate routed IPv6 setup.
    Virtualizor doesn't allow administrative actions when rescue mode is enabled.

Thanked by 2webcraft cybertech

@CiprianoOscar said:

Their installer is a perfect example of the quality workmanship of Virtualizor:

Thanked by 2yoursunny lentro
  • SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

@speedypage said:

Their installer is a perfect example of the quality workmanship of Virtualizor:

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I'm always open to seeing new/more options for providers. But the above gives you a pretty clear error, could be related to DNS nameservers on the host being improperly set or not resolving the host where the license file is downloaded from.

If simply having an installer fail is enough to deem a company's workmanship bunk, then RHEL/CentOS has poor workmanship, Canonical has poor workmanship, etc. Because I've had instances where all these installers fail for numerous reasons.

Being excited about a new product doesn't mean you have to bash an existing product. These things can coexist and make each other better.

Just my two cents.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yep, competitors welcome.

• If creator is the same as solusvm, than history will repeat - create, attract, sell.

Thanked by 3webcraft steny caracal
  • @Swiftnode said: Being excited about a new product doesn't mean you have to bash an existing product. These things can coexist and make each other better.

Agreed. At the end of the day that means we, as customers (or users of the tools to sell to our clients), win. Better quality products due to increased competitions.