Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtfusion - SolusVM/Virtualizor killer? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtfusion - SolusVM/Virtualizor killer?

2»

Comments

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@speedypage said:

@CiprianoOscar said:

@speedypage said: Virtualizor but it's falling apart at the seams

Lol? Where? I use virtualizor for like 3-4 Years and i never got problem with this panel. Super user Friendly. The only one problem was the RDNS but fixed in like 2-3 hours.

Paying $ 15-30 per server is really too high a price. Think Proxmox system which is free ahahha

Their installer is a perfect example of the quality workmanship of Virtualizor:

just open the logs and check what is the problem and fix it by yourself.... is not that hard. The virtualizor support still fast to reply

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

@Swiftnode said:

@speedypage said:

Their installer is a perfect example of the quality workmanship of Virtualizor:

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I'm always open to seeing new/more options for providers. But the above gives you a pretty clear error, could be related to DNS nameservers on the host being improperly set or not resolving the host where the license file is downloaded from.

If simply having an installer fail is enough to deem a company's workmanship bunk, then RHEL/CentOS has poor workmanship, Canonical has poor workmanship, etc. Because I've had instances where all these installers fail for numerous reasons.

Being excited about a new product doesn't mean you have to bash an existing product. These things can coexist and make each other better.

Just my two cents.

I agree! However I think there has been some form of misunderstanding as my screenshot was a direct reply to someone saying that Virtualizor works perfectly and that there is no need to pay more for VirtFusion than $10 per month. This also isn't my screenshot, it's from the LET Discord as there was numerous people complaining of broken features following an update on that day.

I am all for competition! There's not enough of it in the VPS control panel market but at the same time it's expected to pay a bit more for a product that doesn't have bugs you have to fix yourself... as a paying license end user.

• Just try this
    theres bug here and there.
    no auto create bridge with hypervisor kvm (Cannot get interface MTU on 'br0': No such device\n") <- this one not going to label with fail task.

the error not self explanatory, should be more clear.
    control button (rebuild, restart, etc) going disable when the vm are build for first time. weird. must have remove "disable" from inspect element :lol:

the vm it self created from "user" area, in admin area just setting up its resource.
    so it must be impersonate user at first time.

no option for root password, just ssh key. its ok for me, maybe others just need old fashion root/password style.

using php and mariadb/mysql, just like virtualizor.

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

@zenks said:
    Just try this
    no auto create bridge with hypervisor kvm (Cannot get interface MTU on 'br0': No such device\n") <- this one not going to label with fail task.

control button (rebuild, restart, etc) going disable when the vm are build for first time. weird. must have remove "disable" from inspect element :lol:

the vm it self created from "user" area, in admin area just setting up its resource.

no option for root password, just ssh key. its ok for me, maybe others just need old fashion root/password style.

Auto bridge creation is in development I believe, not sure how you're getting that error though sounds like you have created the bridge incorrectly.

Just wanted to post to clarify the root password thing, it does offer a root password - just it shows a message when you click create to say we are emailing you the password rather than setting it directly in the panel.

• What is the advantage above Proxmox except for the customer front-end?

• I got a quick test/feel of the client-side experience of VirtFusion thanks to our wonderful community member @speedypage. Thank you for letting me check it out.

First opinion:

It's very clean and nice. Functionally I like it and the process/workflow is nice. I like most of the design decisions the developer took to building this product. I really don't have a lot of suggestions and even then, I don't

Suggestion 1: Icons for "Copy to Clipboard" and "Edit Server Name" are too small. Text is huge compared to the icon and the icons are selectable to execute each task. Having them bigger/larger makes it easier to select the actual menu items as well as helps people understand "this is an action you can perform". A screenshot below as an example.

Suggestion 1.1: Trying to "copy to clipboard" the generated SSH Key from the server provisioning page sucks. You can't "Ctrl+A" that text box and instead it selects texts from the entire page. The "copy to clipboard" icon is the only saving grace but it's also tiny and too light to be quickly recognizable as an option.

Suggestion 2: I think the "Progress" bars in the Logs/Tasks list (bottom of the server page) is a bit redundant/not as useful. It looks nice, but I don't think it brings much utility or value. What might be interesting is replacing that with "who" initiated the task, especially since you have server-sharing via tokens available.

It doesn't have all the features SolusVM has right now, but that's not important. The core/critical components seem to be very functional and works very well on the client side. I don't know about the administrator's side but as a client, I'd definitely be happy with this control panel. There's still a few UI elements/designs that I'm a bit iffy on, but further conversations with @speedypage has helped me understand what's still in progress, what's on the roadmap, and what I might have missed.

Also, from the looks of it I think the author may be reading this thread. Hello! I'll say congratulations on putting so much work into such a lovely panel. It feels well made and I'll be keeping an eye on it for the next few months in anticipation.

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    I got a quick test/feel of the client-side experience of VirtFusion thanks to our wonderful community member @speedypage. Thank you for letting me check it out.

First opinion:

It's very clean and nice. Functionally I like it and the process/workflow is nice. I like most of the design decisions the developer took to building this product. I really don't have a lot of suggestions and even then, I don't

Suggestion 1: Icons for "Copy to Clipboard" and "Edit Server Name" are too small. Text is huge compared to the icon and the icons are selectable to execute each task. Having them bigger/larger makes it easier to select the actual menu items as well as helps people understand "this is an action you can perform". A screenshot below as an example.

Suggestion 1.1: Trying to "copy to clipboard" the generated SSH Key from the server provisioning page sucks. You can't "Ctrl+A" that text box and instead it selects texts from the entire page. The "copy to clipboard" icon is the only saving grace but it's also tiny and too light to be quickly recognizable as an option.

Suggestion 2: I think the "Progress" bars in the Logs/Tasks list (bottom of the server page) is a bit redundant/not as useful. It looks nice, but I don't think it brings much utility or value. What might be interesting is replacing that with "who" initiated the task, especially since you have server-sharing via tokens available.

It doesn't have all the features SolusVM has right now, but that's not important. The core/critical components seem to be very functional and works very well on the client side. I don't know about the administrator's side but as a client, I'd definitely be happy with this control panel. There's still a few UI elements/designs that I'm a bit iffy on, but further conversations with @speedypage has helped me understand what's still in progress, what's on the roadmap, and what I might have missed.

Also, from the looks of it I think the author may be reading this thread. Hello! I'll say congratulations on putting so much work into such a lovely panel. It feels well made and I'll be keeping an eye on it for the next few months in anticipation.

Hey! thanks for trying it out. Pleased you like it, I'll take the feedback onboard.

Re the progress bars in the client side.. you may be right, they are more informative if you are an admin (they are clickable and display debug information).

Anyhow - it's good to be back.

Phill

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

Planning any tools to make it easy to migrate from existing solutions @VirtFusion?

• @stratagem said:
    Planning any tools to make it easy to migrate from existing solutions @VirtFusion?

Yes but all in good time. No matter what, a migration path from any of the current solutions is going to be complex. Transferring the data is one thing but the actual VM has to be compatible aswell.

Thanked by 1stratagem
  • Phill

I'm the kind of asshole that will never look at this purely because he spells his shorter name with two L's. >:)

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • @speedypage said:

@zenks said:
    Just try this

Auto bridge creation is in development I believe, not sure how you're getting that error though sounds like you have created the bridge incorrectly.

Just wanted to post to clarify the root password thing, it does offer a root password - just it shows a message when you click create to say we are emailing you the password rather than setting it directly in the panel.

i do following that documentation
    for Almalinux, ifcfg-br0 not detect after restart network manager
    so i create bridge with nmcli , and it works.

The UI i agree, its clean and nice.

• niyyieniyyie Member, Host Rep

@VirtFusion

I see you now support ClientExec in addition to WHMCS and Blesta. Any plans to support HostBill? Just curious.

Does the system support Windows OS? Are Windows OS ISO only or do you have templates for those?

What virtualization technologies are you supporting? KVM? Which other(s)?

Keep up the good work.

Thanked by 1VirtFusion
  • VirtFusionVirtFusion Member
    edited February 2022

Yeah, it's been a chaotic few weeks. I didn't expect so much interest this early on. I've not even officially advertised VirtFusion yet.

@niyyie said: I see you now support ClientExec in addition to WHMCS and Blesta. Any plans to support HostBill? Just curious.

I've sent an email to Kris but have not had a reply yet.

@niyyie said: Does the system support Windows OS? Are Windows OS ISO only or do you have templates for those?

Yes, it supports Windows. We have a set of packer scripts that are used internally for testing. We'll most likely get them on Github so you can build your own templates.

@niyyie said: What virtualization technologies are you supporting? KVM? Which other(s)?

Currently, it's only KVM - we want to make sure it has a decent (and reliable) feature set before moving on to anything else.

^Phill

• niyyieniyyie Member, Host Rep

@VirtFusion said:
    Yeah, it's been a chaotic few weeks. I didn't expect so much interest this early on. I've not even officially advertised VirtFusion yet.

Goldfish have no hiding place. :-)

I'd give VF a spin soon. I noticed a European cloud hosting service announced on LET they'd be using it.

Thanked by 1VirtFusion
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Waiting for Phil to work on this product, make it big & then sell it to "investors" who will kill the product, thus making the folks in the hosting industry cry over the remnants of once a good software.

Then, after few years, make another similar product, repeat the process.

• HybulaHybula Member, Patron Provider

@niyyie said:

@VirtFusion said:

Goldfish have no hiding place. :-)

I'd give VF a spin soon. I noticed a European cloud hosting service announced on LET they'd be using it.

That would be us? :smiley:

@BlaZe said:
    Waiting for Phil to work on this product, make it big & then sell it to "investors" who will kill the product, thus making the folks in the hosting industry cry over the remnants of once a good software.

Then, after few years, make another similar product, repeat the process.

We have been working quite closely with Phill and we also discussed this, he seems to have learned from this and he is really dedicated to VF.

Besides that; this is always a risk you should take care of in your business plan.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

$15 is early adopters price, means he think that every VM or hosting provider has deep pockets will pay much more later ?

Currently its pretty much work-in-progress and yet at premium, he should rather start with some smaller packages to get more users on-board, polish it and then think anything else.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited February 2022

I am sorry, but considering 15$ per month a premium, considering you'll be basing your whole business on this piece of software is odd. In today's world, I'd say it's not even remotely premium.

If someone is in business already and has customer base, its could be fine but still, may be not fine considering the price to feature / quality ratio.

Secondly, for someone, there are plethora of expenses apart of licensing, including hardware, billing , backups and what not.

What about cheaper option to start, $5 for 10 VM or more. But who am I to say, there are big guys here, will buy anything. Perhaps, cpanel, solus and WHMCS target those deep pockets. But then there are LET guys .. are they ?

• It could be easier to setup and natively support network for Kimsufi and OVH (ipv6)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

It looks nice and seems to be better for users - but still, I'd like to see (a) a proper official release, and (b) some serious production usage without problems (~ironed out) first.

And btw, I trust nothing written in PHP, at least nothing relatively close to the metal (as opposed to say a blog or forum script).

• @ugurz said:
    It could be easier to setup and natively support network for Kimsufi and OVH (ipv6)

Yeah, I agree. Using Libvirt routed networking was the quick approach to support OVH/Hetzner. Although it's pretty solid, it puts the configuration on the admin as opposed to in panel.

I will follow up with a more refined solution later in the year.

@jsg said: and seems to be better for users

That's the aim. It needs to be user-friendly. I do have plans for a "power user" mode later in the roadmap.

@jsg said: I'd like to see (a) a proper official release

We are 15 official releases in - or are you referring to an official announcement of the product itself? If so, probably in a week's time. There are a couple more features I'd like to add to the panel beforehand.

@jsg said: And btw, I trust nothing written in PHP, at least nothing relatively close to the metal

I feel the same with most languages, especially when higher privileges are required to do specific tasks. Nowadays with the help of CI, most of the configuration is run inside the VM - It's far less invasive than it used to be.

@jsg said: some serious production usage without problems (~ironed out) first.

I'm pretty proactive and all hosts that have adopted or are considering adopting have direct access to me. So far it's been a pleasure working with all that have. We've ironed out what minor issues have been found pretty quickly.

Thanked by 1jsg

@jsg What is wrong with PHP about trust ?
    Generally if there is a issue, its mostly with the programmer that how much secure he / she makes his product, not with language itself. And we talk about language itself, like with any other language, vulnerabilities are fixed very quickly.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@AlexBarakov said:
    I am sorry, but considering 15$ per month a premium, considering you'll be basing your whole business on this piece of software is odd. In today's world, I'd say it's not even remotely premium.

That's relative. Per server price, but if that said VM host server costs 50$ per month to begin with, 15$ is a huge deal.

So it means bigger servers need to be used, with more VMs.
    Not much else, but for those who have little control over the hardware they utilize (ie. whatever hetzner, ovh, leaseweb happens to offer) it can be a big deal.

Also if one host goes down potentially more VMs down too, unless there is a HA setup done, and i don't think any low cost provider has this as it would add a lot of cost ...

@Saahib said:
    Generally if there is a issue, its mostly with the programmer that how much secure he / she makes his product, not with language itself. And we talk about language itself, like with any other language, vulnerabilities are fixed very quickly.

This. PHP gets a lot of hate for no reason other than probably a lot of beginners started with PHP, released their stuff and made buggy, slow messes. Like they would with any other language, but more beginners a language attracts, the lower their reputation gets.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2022

@PulsedMedia said:

@Saahib said:

This. PHP gets a lot of hate for no reason other than probably a lot of beginners started with PHP, released their stuff and made buggy, slow messes. Like they would with any other language, but more beginners a language attracts, the lower their reputation gets.

No. Just think TurboPascal.

Plus, I think we can agree that facebook isn't a nobody but a heavy-weight and one that did have tons of code in PHP - but also one that created their own VM and less crappy PHP dialect ("Hack"). That's how crappy PHP is.

Nothing or very little to do with "beginners a language attracts, the lower their reputation gets". Everything to do with being a horrible language. facebook had to spend tons of money to make it at least less dangerous.

I suggest to cut it here because the use of PHP can not really be defended - but it seems Phill / @VirtFusion is a nice guy and with quite a lot of experience and I'm hence assuming that he uses that language as responsibly as is possible.

Thanked by 1VirtFusion
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@jsg said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@Saahib said:

No. Just think TurboPascal.

Plus, I think we can agree that facebook isn't a nobody but a heavy-weight and one that did have tons of code in PHP - but also one that created their own VM and less crappy PHP dialect ("Hack"). That's how crappy PHP is.

Nothing or very little to do with "beginners a language attracts, the lower their reputation gets". Everything to do with being a horrible language. facebook had to spend tons of money to make it at least less dangerous.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Hence show me where FB said it's very dangerous?

FB made a lot of performance enhancements, which did not get pulled to mainstream. They have vast budget to do things out of spec to their specific needs.

Plenty of high profile things operate using standard PHP.

It's the programmer's job to make things secure. For a novice (which FB has plenty) just typecasting might be something they do not understand. FB has huge workforce, and plenty of inept people are sure to get through, that's true.

Does not mean the language is bad. You can do tons of damage with C/C++ as well. Does that make C/C++ bad because a shitty coder can do absolute bullshit?

If we are talking about "grammar" or "dialects" here, then C/C++ is sure to loose as well, plenty of obscure function names there :)

Thanked by 2iKeyZ cybertech
  • I really like panel and update cycle
    Could you add a video about how to create server for kimsufi?
    I couldn't understand adding IPV6

• @ugurz said:
    I really like panel and update cycle
    Could you add a video about how to create server for imsufi?
    I couldn't understand adding IPV6

I don't think you can use Kimsufi. According to their docs, you only have a single IPv4 and IPv6 and can't order more.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

While you get a single IP-address with Kimsufi, the whole /64 is kept for you. You can just install ndppd and 'pull' in the routed /64 that way. Hacky, but surely works :-)