Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much bandwidth do you typically use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much bandwidth do you typically use?

What is the max bandwidth you've used on your VM/server? Whats the typical monthly usage like and what do you use it for?

Thanked by 1devp

Comments

• On the server I'm using the most I have 87 GB since the beginning of this month. I'm using most of my servers only for myself, the services I need or want to play around with. I still want all servers I have to have at least with fantastic billions of BW :smiley:

Thanked by 2Logano devp
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited January 2022

Just wanted to say when buying a server one of the questions you should ask is do they allow the purchase of more bandwidth, because if you anticipate the need for more bandwidth, some of these server companies will just tell you to upgrade to a higher package,

I'm already experiencing this with one company and I think I'm going to have to let the servers go,

I was even asked why do I need the extra bandwidth, which I don't see why that would be any of their business, as long as I'm not disrupting the network.

Thanked by 2niknar1900 kkrajk
  • Anyone want to share their Plex server bandwidth usage?

• @BarkingIron said:
    Anyone want to share their Plex server bandwidth usage?

I have a 100 TB BW server that I'm using for plex I only share it with friends and family.

And that is not related to the issue I posted above.

Thanked by 1Astro
  • @painfreepc said:

@BarkingIron said:

I have a 100 TB BW server that I'm using for plex I only share it with friends and family.

And that is not related to the issue I posted above.

How much bandwidth do you typically use on that?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

This is like asking how hot you are.

Thanked by 2Astro devp
  • @deank said:
    This is like asking how hot you are.

No party like a Tinder party.

And asking how hot you are would be what's your GB5 score.

Thanked by 1devp
  • OsirisBlackOsirisBlack Member
    edited January 2022

7$ 6$

Thanked by 1Astro
  • Less than 100G.

Thanked by 1Astro
  • @OsirisBlack said:
    7$ 6$

God damn it. I wanna take my thanks back.

• niknar1900niknar1900 Member
    edited January 2022

I don't have a Plex server but a media server, and I think I just barely got over 500GB last month. It's been working out great, no need for transcoding, super fast. I have a funny story about HostSolutions though. I accidentally left an Apache folder with an open index, and I didn't even think about putting a password on it. Well, good ol' Google indexed me and somehow I went over my 10TB limit and was suspended lol! DOH!

• @niknar1900 said:
    Google indexed me and somehow I went over my 10TB limit and was suspended lol! DOH!

Just automatically suspended no warning?

• I have a Server as an VPN and actually I used this month 3TB Traffic 1,5 up and 1,5 down.

• @painfreepc said:

No warning, I mean, it was cociu. And it was my fault anyway, on top of it probably happening over a couple days lol.

edited January 2022

@niknar1900 said:

@painfreepc said:

No warning, I mean, it was cociu. And it was my fault anyway, on top of it probably happening over a couple days lol.

Yeah I was using a few of his servers but I got rid of the service long before the fiasco I got tired of tickets taking forever to respond to,

None of the things I do is mission critical so I didn't mind the occasional downtime, but it shouldn't take a week or more to fix the issue or respond to a ticket.

• These are 3 different servers.

• @karanchoo said:

These are 3 different servers.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • jahrincjahrinc Member
    edited January 2022

Last month

8de6c0e43a69d32ebdd6f1618d5aa28b.png

File hosting/sharing

Thanked by 2niknar1900 donko
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Most actively used servers consume around 1GB RX+TX per day per server.
    Backup storage server uses less.
    VPN server may use up to 6GB in a day if I'm watching movies (direct connection to PulsedMedia is too slow so I need VPN).
    PulsedMedia account uploads 50GB per day.

Residential network consumes 2~8GB per day, across all my phones and computers.
    10~20% of this traffic is IPv6.

Thanked by 1devp
  • @painfreepc said:

@BarkingIron said:

coughbullshitcough

edited January 2022

@TimboJones said:

@painfreepc said:

@BarkingIron said:

coughbullshitcough

whats BS thats it's only for friends and family?
    i don't sell copy righted shit.

i did not say it's used 100tb per mo,
    most has been 30TB plus,

i have a lot of friends and family.

as usual someone looking to start drama.

• @painfreepc said:

@TimboJones said:

@painfreepc said:

@BarkingIron said:

coughbullshitcough

whats BS thats it's only for friends and family?
    i don't sell copy righted shit.

i did not say it's used 100tb per mo,
    most has been 30TB plus,

i have a lot of friends and family.

as usual someone looking to start drama.

Then 30TB was the only answer and the point of this thread. Whether you have a 50TB or 100TB server isn't relevant.

edited January 2022

@TimboJones said: Then 30TB was the only answer and the point of this thread. Whether you have a 50TB or 100TB server isn't relevant.

so your comment of "coughbullshitcough"
    was that i did say how much BW i use, sorry i forgot to say, answer is 35TB
    and the op did ask what it's used for

"What is the max bandwidth you've used on your VM/server? Whats the typical monthly usage like and what do you use it for?"

answer is Plex, are we good now.. lol

now go back and comment "coughbullshitcough" to all that did what it's used for.

• Less than 10Gb/ month

Just running yabs then idling one year.

Anyone know how to spend bandwidth usage 😄

• @blackeye said:
    Anyone know how to spend bandwidth usage 😄

Here you go https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/175131/vps-bandwidth-unused-how-to-use

Thanked by 1blackeye
  • ~1Tb per month

• Home Proxmox cluster:

• I'm running the fediverse software myself using a VPS and it's about 300GB a month.
    With the Time4VPS C4 plan, I can use up to 4TB per month on a 100Mbps line, so don't have to worry about the upper limit of the transfer amount for my case.
    (In Time4VPS, if I exceed the upper limit of the transfer amount, the line speed will drop to 1/10, but it seems that it is not completely limited.)

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

For a personal website, about 20TB~. That seems to be about what our YouTube proxy site uses: https://incogtube.com