Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Beast PC or save Money ARRRGH!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Beast PC or save Money ARRRGH!

JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

i know theres gonna be many trolls with this one ,

im running a older i7 5820k
32GB ram
1080TI
2x NVME Disk

its a ageing pc and considerding a New PC

looking at a i9-12900k
32GB DDR5
4x M2 Disk
1000 Watt PSU
Same GPU (Until i can find new one Damm Scalpers) GPU is a must have as do a lot of gaming and rendering.

specced a new one up and its close to 2k

im comptemplaying should i just hang out for the new 40 series GPUS or bit the bullet and get a new PC , current pc got many expansion cards to keep it running as USBS & Sound all failed:(

been on my head for many days !

my bank wont like me but ill have a fresh pc hmm Let HELP ME !

sorry for the rant

Comments

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

I will wait another year and get the 13th gen.

I don't much of a improvement on 12th gen other than the DDR5 RAM.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2021

Do you need the power? If it's just for gaming no.

I used to have and want the best powerful PC, but around 2 years ago I sold my high end PCs and switched to a laptop. Now I have a 13.4" laptop that has a Ryzen 8c/16t (cheaper than a full tower build), and an RTX 3070 eGPU. Can do literally anything I want, play high end games on ultra 1440p, and it's super small and lightweight so it's awesome to travel with. Will never go back to a tower PC.

Ofc everyones wants and uses are different, but spending thousands on a high end PC with not so much of a good use isn't good.

Thanked by 2Ympker doughnet
  • I will say the following, and I mean no disrespect or to insult your way of life and what you prioritize in said life, nor do I know where you call home: We are currently living in a very "interesting" time in human history, struck with a pandemic that is ever evolving and is probably not going away in 2022. Just because some people have been untouched by its influence so far, does not mean it will remain that way. 2000 euros/usd is not nothing and may help you get through next year, who knows what the future holds in that regard. When in doubt, you should plan for the worst. Unless said computer is an investment and is making you money, I would wait for this storm to pass. And I didn't even mention the Russians on the Ukraine border (again I don't know where you are).

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Save money and buy next yr.

• my take: not worth it.

you probably won't even see a considerable difference. sure the cpu is faster, but that's about it. maybe it all will feel a bot faster/responsive - because you most likely also setup everything from scratch, but if being honest that's more likely not related so much to the 'upgrade' itself then.

I am with a pretty similar setup and also thinking over it from time to time... also gaming a lot, but if I'd want a boost on that, I'd rather need a better GPU and nothing else ;-)

feel you though, tempting to spent money just for the numbers and feeling. stay strong!

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Jasonhyperhost said: its a ageing pc

In that case my old AMD FX4100 is well overdue a replacement ;)

• vovlervovler Member
    edited December 2021

@MikeA said:

I used to have and want the best powerful PC, but around 2 years ago I sold my high end PCs and switched to a laptop. Now I have a 13.4" laptop that has a Ryzen 8c/16t (cheaper than a full tower build), and an RTX 3070 eGPU. Can do literally anything I want, play high end games on ultra 1440p, and it's super small and lightweight so it's awesome to travel with. Will never go back to a tower PC.

Ofc everyones wants and uses are different, but spending thousands on a high end PC with not so much of a good use isn't good.

How are you connecting the eGPU? M.2 slot?

Ontopic: Don't, unless you need it for work reasons. Still running a 4790k here.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2021

I run a gen 3 i5 for gaming, all my 6 laptops of which 3 mining ethereum and running virtual machines, 2 monitors, network gear, etc. usually stay below 400 watt total due to the many crazy tweaks I have done to them. At peak (all things up, monitors, displays on, charging phones and tablet, accumulators (AA and AAA) it reached at times 500 Watt.
    Back on topic, NO! Wait the chip crisis to wind down. Save in something not exposed to inflation and wait.

• Because of the unpredictable economic future we are facing I would say unless the current pc is unbearable don't replace see at least until the chip crissis is hopefully over in a few months.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2021

@niknar1900 said: 2000 euros/usd is not nothing and may help you get through next year, who knows what the future holds in that regard.

Reflects on my 10k call options loss this or last month I don't remember. I could use a new PC.

I recommend you spend that money now or you will get less next year. Inflation is already at 10% at least https://tradingeconomics.com/commodities

Some genius at the fed thought it was a good idea to airdrop money for people to spend while at the same time telling them to stop producing goods and stay at home :D

I would buy a Risen 5600x, or a 16GB MacBook Air to use as a desktop and PC. Then play most games via geforce now

• @ezeth said:
    ...or a 16GB MacBook Air to use as a desktop and PC. Then play most games via geforce now

as he stated that his main usage scenarios are gaming and rendering, buying MB Air 16GB would be complete waste of money, as it is useless for gaming, and have no chances with high power dedicated GPU and twice system RAM in rendering graphics (do not confuse with video editing)

• save money

Thanked by 1niknar1900
  • As someone who has just upgraded last month, it's hard to tell you not to. Especially if your mobo is dying, because your mobo is dying if your USB slots and sound died. And I feel you, that shit can be frustrating lol.

$2k does seem like a lot, though, as I think even $400-500 for an i5-11400 setup would already be an upgrade for your PC. Maybe settle for a $1k build on 11th gen? Will the 2k build perform 2x faster than a 1k build? I mean, that $2k build is going to depreciate fast.

PS
    My upgrade last month was from a Q9650 with a third dying 775 board, to a used Ryzen 5 2600. Which I'm kicking myself for because I got the system itself for cheap ($300 for CPU, B350 board, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 500w PSU, case) and a whopping $200 on air freight. I could have built pretty much the same on NEW i5-11400 parts if I knew the freight was going to cost $200. Fuck lol.

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:

I guess it depends on the type of work you're doing, but I've always found laptops to hurt my productivity. More difficult than having a triple monitor setup to have lots of screen real estate :D

• @speedypage said:
    I guess it depends on the type of work you're doing, but I've always found laptops to hurt my productivity. More difficult than having a triple monitor setup to have lots of screen real estate :D

Same, I can stand a slow CPU but small screens and shallow keys suck. By the time I add a monitor and keyboard to the laptop, I'm wondering what I'm doing with a laptop.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Go big! You deserve it.

• Personally id just wait for next gen everything. What you have is honestly fine for now. Probably be new stuff both cpu/gpu related within 8months

• @MikeA said:

What laptop do you have?

• emreemre Member, LIR

@Jasonhyperhost said: im running a older i7 5820k

32GB ram
    1080TI
    2x NVME Disk

buy a new GPU

sell your old one

not a good time to upgrade ram/mainboard/cpu

new ryzens are on the door,

intel still sucks

ddr5 is too new and expensive

all you need is a new gpu

buy an amd RX6800XT and be happy.

• @SirFoxy said:
    What laptop do you have?

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

Thanks Guys Defo Helped me not waste money, will do just the GPU for now when i can find one ,it can be so tempting to just splurge a load of money on a New PC , it works just a little slow , can still play latests games on Medium-High

did really want Ryzen with DDR5 which i belive is comming on the 6th gen ryzen chips but as far as i know theres no release date for that yet

Thanked by 1Logano

@Andrews said:

@SirFoxy said:
    What laptop do you have?

@Andrews my laptop is a HP Omen , Ryzen 7 2x 1TB m2 disk and 32gb ddr4 memory with a 3070 gpu

• @Jasonhyperhost said:
    did really want Ryzen with DDR5 which i belive is comming on the 6th gen ryzen chips but as far as i know theres no release date for that yet

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-to-reveal-some-details-on-zen4-architecture-at-ces-2022

...Zen4 architecture (DDR5 & PCI-e Gen5), those are not currently expected to launch sooner than the third quarter of 2022

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited December 2021

@Jasonhyperhost said:
    looking at a i9-12900k
    32GB DDR5
    4x M2 Disk
    1000 Watt PSU
    1080TI

specced a new one up and its close to 2k

This is pretty close to what I use.

I have an i9, 64GB RAM, 2070 with 4xM2 for my main desktop. Cost me 1.6k at the time.

And an i9, 32GB RAM, 2070 with 3xM2 for my main laptop. Cost me 2k at the time.

1080 TI is awesome, no sense replacing it unless you need RTX for something. In my experience the difference (although benchmarkable) isn't really noticible for most practical scenarios.

I think you will notice a difference and get better longevity with the upgrade - most games are actually more likely to be CPU locked in practice. Lots sure are GPU focused but in reality, most things we do it in a day are actually CPU driven so I think you'll actually notice that upgrade quite a bit.

If you use it for work, it pays itself off very quickly. But even if not, it's well suited to keep you in a good state for quite a long time. And no reason you can't move to an RTX when and if they become available. We do at times buy prefabbed units right now as it's the only way to reliably get RTX fast, in bulk and with a healthy warranty (work computers). I do have one i9 with 3080 TI and 64GB RAM at the office (new Alienware) but I doubt I'd notice the difference from a 10x or 20x unless I was explictely looking for it. The i9 gen 12 you will notice compared to an i7 gen 5.

Besides, it's just money. We don't keep it when we die. So I'll go against the grain here and say spend it. Most of us use a computer all day and night for work and play. So it makes sense to make it a priority investment at all times. Most probably use them more than their 50k car.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • Follow your heart, if you really need a new one, you won't ask.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@SirFoxy said:

@MikeA said:

What laptop do you have?

Newer ROG Flow x13 (Ryzen 3900HS, RTX 3050), with the ASUS XG Mobile eGPU for ports. Have two 1440p monitors hooked up with my keyboard, mouse, etc. Just unplug eGPU for on the go.

• Price of 32GB DDR5 is like 4x DDR4 prices. That would make me wait until next year.

think im gonna save till the new ryzen series 6th gens are out and support ddr5 and pci 5

still hunting for a GPU for now :smiley:

• for latest hardware, its better to wait a while as prices drop pretty fast, especially since DDR5 is at a premium now.