Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password Managers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Password Managers

With the recent leak, I would love to start using different passwords at different services... I feel its time to use a Password manager...

Any recommendations? I am OK with a paid option - just need it to be reliable.

If I can have multiple users (atleast 2) with multiple client options (desktop/ ios/ android/ web) it will be ideal.

If there is a life-time option, I am open to that. I understand Lifetime has a bad rep - but I am willing to explore.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• You're not using password manager?

Lastpass, works very well for me.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Bitwarden, you can use it for free/$10 per year/selfhost.

• If you're using Chrome on both mobile and desktop, log in to your Google Account on both devices and have them auto-save and sync passwords.

Same deal if you're in the Apple ecosystem, use Safari on both devices and sync via iCloud.

Alternatively, if you would like to manage passwords outside of a browser, use Keepass(Windows), KeepassXC(Mac), KeepassDroid(Android), Strongbox(iOS) and have them sync via WebDAV or GDrive.

Thanked by 2plumberg mohamed
  • suutsuut Member
    edited December 2021

Bitwarden
    1Password
    Enpass
    KeePass
    LastPass
    Remembear
    Dashlane

Thanked by 2plumberg StevenZhu
  • I recommend Bitwarden

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Bitwarden free + Firefox sync

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Bitwarden

Although some functions will be unavailable in Firefox private tabs. Kinda annoying but other than that, it's the best one out there.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • I was using LastPass, had no issues until they limited one device usage for free accounts.

Now using Bitwarden. Happy with it, only issue being not able to enter details by clicking on input fields as LastPass does.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Bitwarden self-hosted (Docker) only accesable from 1 IP address. Your Bitwarden server doesn’t have to be available/online if you want to login somewhere (the browser plugin and/or mobile app caches everything locally) but it has to be if you want to save new credentials etc.

Thanked by 2plumberg commercial
  • bitwarden B)

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • fredo1664fredo1664 Member
    edited December 2021

I use Dashlane (no ref link), it's a bit pricey but it's working great for me, especially the auto-fill function that just works on both Windows and Android. Fairly sure all serious password managers work great but that's the one I've been using for years.
    Here's also a ref link if you want free premium for 6 months (for me too).

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @plumberg said:
    Any recommendations?

Program your own as a website and host it on a public server with a free hosting panel.

Thanks in advance!

There is no need for thanks. Just share the drama here on LowEndTalk.

Thanked by 3plumberg t0m Logano
  • Bitwarden and KeePass as a backup for me

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • vaultwarden

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • lastpass

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Bitwarden. Switched from LastPass as their app had issues often.

Thanked by 2plumberg Logano
  • Keepassxc is pretty great

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Definitely Bitwarden or alternatively Vaultwarden.

Thanked by 2plumberg GetParanoid
  • Sticky Password is good, works with Apple and Windows Computers. They have apps for Android and iOS both works great. They have lifetime license too. Shop around and you will see good deals.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Bitwarden is the best, their paid plan is also cheaper than self hosting, but self hosting is also very easy with vaultwarden

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • I don't really find online password managers trustworthy. That's why I like keepassxc

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • PASS by Jason A. Donenfeld

Password management should be simple and follow Unix philosophy. With pass, each password lives inside of a gpg encrypted file whose filename is the title of the website or resource that requires the password. These encrypted files may be organized into meaningful folder hierarchies, copied from computer to computer, and, in general, manipulated using standard command line file management utilities.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

I use a piece of paper

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@bruh21 said:
    I use a piece of paper

Now that reminds me of when I was in Junior School where I'd write all of my friends' home phone numbers on a piece of paper, folded up really small to fit in my wallet :smiley:

Thanked by 2plumberg Logano
  • @oriend said:
    Definitely Bitwarden or alternatively Vaultwarden.

100% agree. Vaultwarden is what made me swap.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Unless you need to use multiple browser, the built in password manager is enough. Both chrome and Firefox support it. Along with the bookmarks sync. And it's free. I don't really see what's the use of 3rd party extension.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • ceterceter Member
    edited December 2021

Not a full-fledged password manager for every scenario, but this tool is still quite useful if your main goal is avoiding leaks https://www.guerrillamail.com/tools

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • I use 3 simultaneously. I love it.

Lastpass.
    KeyPassX
    Abine Blur - https://dnt.abine.com/

14 years using password managers.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • brejskibrejski Member
    edited December 2021

What I use is:
    Virtual Machine with Bitwarden on the home server (I am sure that no one will do anything on it), HTTPS traffic forwarded by Nginx on Oracle Cloud Instance. VM is connected to OCI through Wireguard of course.
    VM specs: 2vCore, 4GB RAM

You can make it for free - get OCI Always Free Instance (2 Ampere Cores + 4GB RAM is enough) and use Vaultwarden.
    Or get any cheap VPS with at least 2GB of RAM (for me, BW didn't work on LXC container!), install Docker and Docker-compose, and set up Bitwarden there.

@GetParanoid said:

@oriend said:
    Definitely Bitwarden or alternatively Vaultwarden.

100% agree. Vaultwarden is what made me swap.

Vaultwarden is easier to set up - nice to use on Aarch64 platform

Thanked by 1plumberg