Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password Managers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Password Managers

2»

Comments

• @stevewatson301 said:
    If you're using Chrome on both mobile and desktop, log in to your Google Account on both devices and have them auto-save and sync passwords.

Same deal if you're in the Apple ecosystem, use Safari on both devices and sync via iCloud.

Alternatively, if you would like to manage passwords outside of a browser, use Keepass(Windows), KeepassXC(Mac), KeepassDroid(Android), Strongbox(iOS) and have them sync via WebDAV or GDrive.

This is best for one user, but not for two users.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • dgc1980dgc1980 Member
    edited December 2021

I use a self hosted VaultWarden on a Oracle Cloud free 1GB instance for myself and a few friends.

also use a selfhosted AnonAddy for email aliases per site

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @dgc1980 said:
    I use a self hosted VaultWarden on a Oracle Cloud free 1GB instance for myself and a few friends.

That could go away anytime! Some people reported that Oracle suddenly without notification disabled their accounts.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • LoganoLogano Member
    edited December 2021

Bitwarden's free tier allows sharing between up to 2 people (so you and someone else) as part of a 2-person "organization".

Bigger families up to 6 people have to pay $3.33/mo., which still isn't bad for a family plan.

Over the years, I used:
    KeePass (couldn't put up with all the work)
    StickyPassword (app was slow as fuck)
    nothing (got pwned)
    LastPass (liked it, not loved it)
    now Bitwarden (love it)

Between LastPass and Bitwarden, I felt LastPass was better at prefilling things, but the UI was slow and clunky, so when I did need to go into the app to generate passwords or copy/paste things, it was frustrating every time. Bitwarden is sooo much snappier.

Thanked by 2stoned plumberg
  • @Logano said:
    Bitwarden's free tier allows sharing between up to 2 people (so you and someone else) as part of a 2-person "organization".

Bigger families up to 6 people have to pay $3.33/mo., which still isn't bad for a family plan.

Over the years, I used:
    KeePass (couldn't put up with all the work)
    StickyPassword (app was slow as fuck)
    nothing (got pwned)
    LastPass (liked it, not loved it)
    now Bitwarden (love it)

Between LastPass and Bitwarden, I felt LastPass was better at prefilling things, but the UI was slow and clunky, so when I did need to go into the app to generate passwords or copy/paste things, it was frustrating every time. Bitwarden is sooo much snappier.

That's not bad. I have Lastpass since 2010 or so, and seems to work well enough. It is a bit slow.

Thanked by 2Logano plumberg
  • @stoned said:
    That's not bad. I have Lastpass since 2010 or so, and seems to work well enough. It is a bit slow.

If you ever decide to move, I think it was as simple as exporting and importing a CSV file.

Thanked by 2plumberg ChefJoe
  • Putting in another vote for Bitwarden, $10/year for the extra perks as well as supporting the project is great. Pretty much makes self-hosting it pointless for my use case.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • MGarbisMGarbis Member
    edited December 2021

Vaultwarden and KeePass before it.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • edited December 2021

Try Bitwarden. It's open source, which means anyone is free to review all the code to make sure it doesn't do anything nasty. You can even self-host it using either the official server or an unofficial server. (The latter one is much less resource-heavy.)

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • I recommend Keepass2Android for Android device.
    The database can be saved/synced at Gdrive, not locally on the smartphone.
    The Android app is also free.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • keepassxc & keepassdx,
    use OneDrive to sync encrypted data

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Was using LastPass before but switched to Bitwarden now. Works great!

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • +1 for KeepassXC, been using for a few years and browser integration is decent.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • iCloud Keychain is da best for me.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

Get the cheapest Raspberry pi that you can find, get bitwarden working on it, and just use that. It has clients for many browsers and all major platforms. It'd be the best secure and free (other than the few cents a month electricity cost and cost of the pi) way. I do it and it works great for it at this moment.

I'm an ex-lastpass user btw, switched cause of the recent change.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @typicalGtaTG said:

what was the recent change? Thnx

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

@plumberg said:

@typicalGtaTG said:

what was the recent change? Thnx

they made it so you can't use it on more than 1 device, so basically became useless for me since I have loads of devices that I use.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

Bitwarden!

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • 1Password + Dropbox sync. Although there is a limit on the number of devices you can sync at the same time, it is fine for my use case.

For my family, I self-host VaultWarden locally (non-public accessible) since they do not normally get out of the house.

Seriously, if you have family members that do not use a password manager in 2022, you need to convince them to have one now.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Apparently everyone is wrong, Lastpass now say there was no breach:
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/28/22857485/lastpass-compromised-breach-scare
    ;)

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • I've just dumped Lastpass and moved to Bitwarden. Painless transfer and peace of mind.

To be honest I've had no issues with Lastpass - but they are getting so much bad press at the moment which doesn't give me much confidence in their product.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Of course Bitwarden, I use family plan where I can share password, cards, notes with my family.

I used bitwarden for about 3 years, previously used Enpass (good one too), 1password, lastpass.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Bitwarden here also.... used to have Dashlane... back when they were reasonably priced and my work paid for a 5-year license 1 year before they jacked up the price.