Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Managed or Unmanaged VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Managed or Unmanaged VPS?

Hello All,
We mainly use Unmanaged VPS and Managed VPS.

Will you share with us, when you buy Unmanaged VPS and when you Managed VPS?

You can also share your thoughts about your preferred control panel for Managed VPS.

All feedback welcomed.

Comments

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2021

Edited..

• I never got a managed VPS as they are ridiculously expensive for me. If I ever feel I need one, I need to take a step back and wonder why I'm still buying VPS after all

Thanked by 1hosterplan
  • You don't know about panel pricing? Ask your provider before buying about pricing and full details feature. Also ask them how much they will charge you for your server management. Not all provider same at all, but some provider charge too much. :(

@Ouji said: ridiculously expensive for me

• Always unmanaged,
    because I only need to run YABS.

• It depends on the situation, but using an Unmanaged VPS on a personal basis is sufficient.

It's not that Unmanaged VPS doesn't really do anything, it's because most providers help when Server failure.

Of course, if some really don't know anything, it would be better to use a Managed VPS even if be pay more.

Apart from this, I don't understand people who complain that Managed VPS is too expensive compared to Unmanaged VPS.

Unless using a free open source panel, Have to think about Web Panel Pricing.

Thanked by 1hosterplan
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited December 2021

@frog said:
    No provider tag and no WHMCS license.
    The end is nigh.

Also @hosterplan given this is LET (where we penny pinch every service from the lowest cost providers) who would trust let alone pay for a managed service? I would expect the response to be primarily unmanaged. I’m not sure the value of asking this question unless it is a cloaked attempt at marketing.

Thanked by 2hosterplan Logano
  • Unmanaged

I've used the service managed but can't install something lol

• @hosterplan said:
    Hello All,

You can also share your thoughts about your preferred control panel for Managed VPS.

All feedback welcomed.

How do you mainly use Unmanaged VPS and Managed VPS in the same time?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I've been summoned.

The end is nigh.

• With Keyhelp web panel, it is easy to manage a VPS.

https://www.keyhelp.de/en/

Thanked by 1hosterplan
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@KermEd said:

@frog said:
    No provider tag and no WHMCS license.
    The end is nigh.

Also @hosterplan given this is LET (where we penny pinch every service from the lowest cost providers) who would trust let alone pay for a managed service? I would expect the response to be primarily unmanaged. I’m not sure the value of asking this question unless it is a cloaked attempt at marketing.

Sounds normal nowadays, the summer / winter or what ever BS host without a valid license for customer portal and WHMCS is useless, reported a few times and on average WHMCS helpdesk reply within 1 month.

Thanked by 1hosterplan
  • @KermEd said: Also @hosterplan given this is LET (where we penny pinch every service from the lowest cost providers) who would trust let alone pay for a managed service? I would expect the response to be primarily unmanaged. I’m not sure the value of asking this question unless it is a cloaked attempt at marketing.

Sorry for this issue. It's mainly WHMCS license checking problem. If we forced to update license from our end then automatically fixed the issue.
    Don't think we are using unlicensed WHMCS. Thanks for noticed the issue.

• @SpeedTest said: How do you mainly use Unmanaged VPS and Managed VPS in the same time?

>

Yes , cause I have multiple server. ;) Some server I just using without any control panel. But if need to use a panel for personal work then I use AAPanel, CyberPanel, CWP and something like that which is free. But for business production I always use cPanel and DirectAdmin.

• hosterplanhosterplan Member
    edited December 2021

@Tony40 said: With Keyhelp web panel, it is easy to manage a VPS.

I didn't use KeyHelp Web panel but as per my experience AApanel and Cyberpanel is more user friendly and secured.

• @hosterplan said:
    Yes , cause I have multiple server. ;)

No, cause you have to pick one, managed or unmanaged, which one you use mainly

• hosterplanhosterplan Member
    edited December 2021

@SpeedTest said: No, cause you have to pick one, managed or unmanaged, which one you use mainly

Okay, then I'll choose managed vps. Because it saves me time and gives me comfort.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited December 2021

Only managed. Provider makes sure they idle properly.

Thanked by 3Ouji WSWD miroc
  • @farsighter said: Only managed. Provider makes sure they idle properly.

Great! Which panel has your provider set up with your VPS?

• @hosterplan said:
    Hello All,

All feedback welcomed.

When I was not so familiar with linux I would use a fully managed VPS.

Over the years I came to realize that I hardly needed the support because I learned enough Linux and took a course that allowed me to fix most common issues.

Now any personal projects I use an unmanaged VPS.

But for client sites I would still want limited support in the event I don't know what the problem is and have to google or that I am unable to handle the problem at the moment for what ever reason.

Thanked by 1hosterplan
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited December 2021

There is no word for Unmanaged VPS and Managed VPS

There must be as cheap as possible

• @hosterplan said:

@KermEd said: Also @hosterplan given this is LET (where we penny pinch every service from the lowest cost providers) who would trust let alone pay for a managed service? I would expect the response to be primarily unmanaged. I’m not sure the value of asking this question unless it is a cloaked attempt at marketing.

Sorry for this issue. It's mainly WHMCS license checking problem. If we forced to update license from our end then automatically fixed the issue.
    Don't think we are using unlicensed WHMCS. Thanks for noticed the issue.

really?

Thanked by 1Logano
  • I prefer mismanaged. Nobody assumes management. This is free, as in freedom of worrying about whos managing what.

• Never ordered a managed server. Prefer un-managed.

• @niceboy said:
    Never ordered a managed server. Prefer un-managed.

Why you suggest us to never order a managed server? Any strong reason there?

• @CheepCluck said:
    I prefer mismanaged. Nobody assumes management. This is free, as in freedom of worrying about whos managing what.

Yeah, but for using a unmanaged/mismanaged server you need to learn more about technical term of vps server. Also, you can use open source or free server management panel like vestacp, aa panel, cyberpanel. 😊

• @hosterplan said:

@CheepCluck said:
    I prefer mismanaged. Nobody assumes management. This is free, as in freedom of worrying about whos managing what.

Yeah, but for using a unmanaged/mismanaged server you need to learn more about technical term of vps server. Also, you can use open source or free server management panel like vestacp, aa panel, cyberpanel. 😊

I just set up a cronjob to run mail -s "Mismanagement Running" [email protected] < /dev/sda
    Its good enough for me

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • @CheepCluck said:

@hosterplan said:

@CheepCluck said:

I just set up a cronjob to run mail -s "Mismanagement Running" [email protected] < /dev/sda
    Its good enough for me

Aww! Then it's ok for you. But not for us my friend. 😐

• @hosterplan said: Aww! Then it's ok for you. But not for us my friend. 😐

Why not? All my friends see my sda. Would you prefer if I showed you my fd0?

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • @CheepCluck said:

@hosterplan said: Aww! Then it's ok for you. But not for us my friend. 😐

Why not? All my friends see my sda. Would you prefer if I showed you my fd0?

All right, you can show me. Hope I like it.

• @hosterplan said: All right, you can show me. Hope I like it.

Its not very big (1.35), but its thought that matters.

Thanked by 1WSWD