Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting IPv6 with an ISP that doesn't support it.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Getting IPv6 with an ISP that doesn't support it.

skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

What do i have:
512 MB slice (BUYVM)

How can set up a VPN that will work on IPv4 and get an IPv6 connection?

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

doesn't work...

• I just used it the other day. do you by chance using Debian 11 ?

• Hurricane Electric or similar tunnel broker, connected from the VPS where the VPN is installed?

@mezoology said:
    I just used it the other day. do you by chance using Debian 11 ?

yes? maybe I should try with Debian 10?

@Master_Bo said:
    Hurricane Electric or similar tunnel broker, connected from the VPS where the VPN is installed?

Having ipv6 on a VPS is not the problem. The problem is connecting the VPS with my PC.

• im using WireGuard and can detect ipv6

• @skorupion said:

@mezoology said:
    I just used it the other day. do you by chance using Debian 11 ?

yes? maybe I should try with Debian 10?

or even ubuntu 20, Debian 11 have a newer version of a dependency package needed by iptables. and iptables don't like it.

• @skorupion said:
    Having ipv6 on a VPS is not the problem. The problem is connecting the VPS with my PC.

Create the tunnel for the system you connect from?

@Master_Bo said:

@skorupion said:

Create the tunnel for the system you connect from?

I don't have a static IP, so it would break after a while.

@yoursunny maybe could help?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Sorry but why not just implement IPv6 directly on your PC with HE's Tunnel Broker?

It'll still work even if you don't have a static IP address, just that you'll need to update your IPv4 endpoint if and when your IP changes.

Thanked by 1tux
  • @skorupion said: doesn't work...

It works for me on a 512MB slice from BuyVM

@comXyz said:

@skorupion said: doesn't work...

It works for me on a 512MB slice from BuyVM

with what script?

• @skorupion
    You can use HE tunnelbroker to get IPv6 in your PC only.

Login to tunnelbroker.net then go to the tunnel, then to the Advanced tab,

You'll find some info there, in the example update URL, you will see a link like this

https://XXXXX:[email protected]/nic/update?hostname=ZZZZZZ

X is your login username
    Y is your tunnel password
    Z is your tunnel ID

Now edit the following link accordingly and bookmark it, then you can use it every time your IP changes.

https://ipv4.tunnelbroker.net/nic/update?username=<Your-Username>&password=<Tunnel-Password>&hostname=<Tunnel-ID>

Thanked by 2yoursunny user123

@AmirGT said: Now edit the following link accordingly and bookmark it, then you can use it every time your IP changes.

Yes, or you can just schedule it to run/check every X minutes/hours/days and update your IP automatically with curl and crontab if you're on Linux, or Task Scheduler if you're on Windows.

Thanked by 1AmirGT

So let me tell you something:
    I DON'T wanna go thru the hassle of enabling a firewall in my router to enable ICPM, I DON'T wanna run a command to go to a web page every x days because my ipv4 changed. I have the 512 BUYVM slab for a reason. And it's reason is to act as a VPN for me. I wanna configure a tunnel between it and my computer via something like wireguard or any other app that will work.

• @skorupion said:
    I DON'T wanna go thru the hassle of enabling a firewall in my router to enable ICPM, I DON'T wanna run a command to go to a web page every x days because my ipv4 changed. I have the 512 BUYVM slab for a reason. And it's reason is to act as a VPN for me. I wanna configure a tunnel between it and my computer via something like wireguard or any other app that will work.

Use Wireguard/OpenVPN then? I don't see the problem.

@AmirGT said:

@skorupion said:

Aight so I'm going kinda crazy but what install script for it should I use???
    Nyr script doesn't work.

@skorupion said: Nyr script doesn't work.

When you say something doesn't work, at least explain what doesn't work, or the errors you're getting.

If you're running Debian 11, @Nyr's script already supports Debian 11.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • @skorupion said:

@AmirGT said:

@skorupion said:

Aight so I'm going kinda crazy but what install script for it should I use???
    Nyr script doesn't work.

Try Debian 9 or 10 for example. If not then try its fork here.

edited December 2021

@DP said:

@skorupion said: Nyr script doesn't work.

When you say something doesn't work, at least explain what doesn't work, or the errors you're getting.

If you're running Debian 11, @Nyr's script already supports Debian 11.

I tried to use Debian 10 & 11 + Ubuntu 20.04
    IPv4 connection works, but not IPv6

• @skorupion said: with what script?

Yes

Thanked by 1mycosys
  • zxrlhazxrlha Member
    edited December 2021

Do you mean create a wireguard between your PC and buyVM VPS,
    so that you can access the internet using IPv6?
    I'm doing the same way,
    and it is simple: in wireguard configurations you just need to specify ipv6 address in addition to ipv4 address.

Server configuration:

[Interface]
    Address = 10.10.10.1/24
    Address = fd00:11:12::3/64
    SaveConfig = true
    PostUp = iptables -A FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE; ip6tables -A FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; ip6tables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
    PostDown = iptables -D FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE; ip6tables -D FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; ip6tables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
    ListenPort = [ServerPort]
    PrivateKey = ******************************************

[Peer]
    PublicKey = **************************************
    AllowedIPs = 10.10.10.2/32, fd00:11:12::9441/128

Client configuration:

[Interface]
    Address = 10.10.10.2/24
    Address = fd00:11:12::9441/128
    MTU = 1280
    SaveConfig = true
    PrivateKey = *********************************************
    [Peer]
    PublicKey = ****************************************
    AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0, ::/0
    Endpoint = [ServerIP]:[ServerPort]

Replace [ServerIP] to the public ip of your server, and [ServerPort] to a port you choose,
    and put your keys there.

Allright so i realised that for some reason IPv6 isn't enabled (server side) (the hell @Francisco)

Thanks for your help @zxrlha at least I have a local ipv6 address.

Finally got it working. Needed to create a ticket but at the end it's all good.

• If you didn't want to or need to go the VPN route and just wanted to use it like you would a SOCKS proxy to tunnel from IPv4 to IPv6, SSH tunneling is also an option that would help you do this.

• Cloudflare for Teams free plan -> Cloudflare Tunnel -> Setup SSH

Simple and works.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2021

@user123 said:
    If you didn't want to or need to go the VPN route and just wanted to use it like you would a SOCKS proxy to tunnel from IPv4 to IPv6, SSH tunneling is also an option that would help you do this.

VPN is a lot simpler for this use case, since it's literally what a VPN is designed for. You can configure the WireGuard VPN to only tunnel IPv6 traffic (and leave IPv4 traffic untouched) just by changing the AllowedIPs on the client-side to AllowedIPs = ::/0. This sounds like what the OP wanted.

You don't need any install scripts on Debian 11... WireGuard is built into its kernel so you already have WireGuard out-of-the-box. Just do apt install wireguard to install the tools like wg and wg-quick, create the config file at /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf (there's a lot of tutorials for this, but it's pretty straightforward and you really don't need one once you get the hang of it), then do sudo systemctl start wg-quick@wg0 to start it then sudo systemctl enable wg-quick@wg0 to enable it on boot.

BuyVM has routed IPv6 /48 so you could likely do something fancy with that (have your router connect to the VPS, and then every device on your network could get its own IPv6 address within that range, but I have no idea how to do that.

Thanked by 1user123

@Daniel15 said:

@user123 said:
    If you didn't want to or need to go the VPN route and just wanted to use it like you would a SOCKS proxy to tunnel from IPv4 to IPv6, SSH tunneling is also an option that would help you do this.

VPN is a lot simpler for this use case, since it's literally what a VPN is designed for. You can configure the WireGuard VPN to only tunnel IPv6 traffic (and leave IPv4 traffic untouched) just by changing the AllowedIPs on the client-side to AllowedIPs = ::/0. This sounds like what the OP wanted.

You don't need any install scripts on Debian 11... WireGuard is built into its kernel so you already have WireGuard out-of-the-box. Just do apt install wireguard to install the tools like wg and wg-quick, create the config file at /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf (there's a lot of tutorials for this, but it's pretty straightforward and you really don't need one once you get the hang of it), then do sudo systemctl start wg-quick@wg0 to start it then sudo systemctl enable wg-quick@wg0 to enable it on boot.

BuyVM has routed IPv6 /48 so you could likely do something fancy with that (have your router connect to the VPS, and then every device on your network could get its own IPv6 address within that range, but I have no idea how to do that.

So the problem was that for some reason ipv6 on buyvm is by default disabled. And you then need to configure it manually. Got it solved with a ticket.