Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting IPv6 with an ISP that doesn't support it. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Getting IPv6 with an ISP that doesn't support it.

2»

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Turns out "nobody needs IPv6 by default" turns into a terrible user experience when people actually need it. Who would have thought.

• I am doing this with a VPS from Hetzner. Only requirement is the VPS need a routed /64 subnet (not on-link as some providers seem to do).

Assuming your VPS has the IPv6 subnet of 2a01:a:b:c::1/64

First, change the IPv6 subnet mask on the VPS from /64 to /128, so this leaves you with the rest of your /64 range usable for other clients than the VPS itself:
    ip addr del 2a01:a:b:c::1/64 dev eth0
    ip addr add 2a01:a:b:c::1/128 dev eth0

Next, create a Wireguard config:
    On VPS:

[Interface]
    Address = fe80::1/64
    ListenPort = xxxx
    PrivateKey = xxxx

[Peer]
    PublicKey = xxxx
    AllowedIPs = 2a01:a:b:c::/64, fe80::2/128
    Endpoint = [IPv4 of home router]:yyyy

On your home router:

[Interface]
    Address = fe80::2/64
    ListenPort = yyyy
    PrivateKey = xxxx

[Peer]
    PublicKey = xxxx
    AllowedIPs = ::/0
    Endpoint = [IPv4 of VPS]:xxxx

Now on your home router, you can add the IPv6 subnet on your eth0 interface:
    ip addr add 2a01:a:b:c::2/64 dev eth0

Wireguard should automatically have added the default route, but if not you can add it manually on the router:
    ip ro add default via fe80::1 dev wg0

A separate rule is needed so that your home router is able to find your VPS:
    ip ro add 2a01:a:b:c::1/128 via fe80::1 dev wg0

After this you can install radvd on the home router to assign clients IPv6 automatically.

• @rm_ said:
    Turns out "nobody needs IPv6 by default" turns into a terrible user experience when people actually need it. Who would have thought.

I have 2 VM with @Francisco with IPv6 /64 + /48 on each. You need do settings for IPv6 from control panel. The OP knows using the panel?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@bsh said:

@rm_ said:

I have 2 VM with @Francisco with IPv6 /64 + /48 on each. You need do settings for IPv6 from control panel. The OP knows using the panel?

You need to do it in panel + in config inside of the VPS. Solved it with a ticket.

• bshbsh Member
    edited December 2021

@skorupion said:

@bsh said:

@rm_ said:

Solved it with a ticket.

Why to need a ticket? There was not any IPv6 for configs?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bsh said: Why to need a ticket? There is not any IPv6 for configs?

Maybe he needed some guidance on the next-hop setup :)

Stallion has controls for routing the /48 to whatever IPV6 address you want.

Francisco

• @Francisco Your Stallion is easy to go, enough to use (nothing missing, nothing out of usage). I'd love the way it lets me set rDNS by our own ns.

@bsh said:
    @Francisco Your Stallion is easy to go, enough to use (nothing missing, nothing out of usage). I'd love the way it lets me set rDNS by our own ns.

Yeah we have some old school IRC people that really love the delegated NS records for their public BNC servers. They can freely add/remove RDNS whenever they want :)

I think the next thing I want to add for IPV6 would be some sort of auto configuration (SLAAC/DHCPv6). Some helpful people from the LET discord gave me some ideas for that.

Francisco

Thanked by 1bsh
  • @Francisco said:
    I think the next thing I want to add for IPV6 would be some sort of auto configuration (SLAAC/DHCPv6)

IMHO, I don't like auto-configuration for IPv6. Do you, @yoursunny ?

@bsh said: IMHO, I don't like auto-configuration for IPv6. Do you, @yoursunny ?

It'd be a toggle :)

We wouldn't want to thrust V6 on people if they don't know what it is, or don't want it.

We have tutorials but we do get a handful of people very month that ticket needing help because they were expecting SLAAC/DHCPv6 for it, just like v4.

Francisco

Thanked by 3bsh bulbasaur yoursunny
  • @Francisco said:
    It'd be a toggle

Great. Let it toggle. But will DHCPv6 cost you more of resources? I think yes.

Thanked by 1stevenruidigao

@bsh said: Great. Let it toggle. But will DHCPv6 cost you more of resources? I think yes.

I'd rather do it via SLAAC to be honest. DHCPv6 doesn't provide the gateway route so we'd still need to run radvd, or have our routers broadcast the route in 'managed' mode (I think that's how it goes).

Francisco

Thanked by 1bsh
  • edited December 2021

There is a commercial offer with wireguard on https://IPv6VPN.ch.

@bsh said:

@skorupion said:

@bsh said:

@rm_ said:

Solved it with a ticket.

Why to need a ticket? There was not any IPv6 for configs?

yep needed to add a few lines in etc networking

• @skorupion said:
    Allright so i realised that for some reason IPv6 isn't enabled (server side) (the hell @Francisco)

Just one reason: you don't know how to control your VM

Thanked by 2brueggus bulbasaur

@bsh said:

@skorupion said:
    Allright so i realised that for some reason IPv6 isn't enabled (server side) (the hell @Francisco)

Just one reason: you don't know how to control your VM

when I'm sleep deprived and uncaffinated I don't know how to do anything mate