Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel, Plesk or DirectAdmin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel, Plesk or DirectAdmin?

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hello all,

Currently here at Coast Hosting we run cPanel however are starting to look at other options to offer reduce license costs.

From a consumer point of view does the control panel defer you from signing up with a service?

All feedback welcomed.

Comments

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2021

@davenz said
    From a consumer point of view does the control panel defer you from signing up with a service?

Nope. I literally never visit it unless there's a problem once I install wordpress.

Recently switched some 100 sites from Cpanel over to new control panel. No one complained

It's like asking do you care if the VPS management panel is solusvm or Virtualizor? No. How often do you need to go to the control panel anyway? You manage your VPS via SSH just like you manage wordpress via wp-admin

• deankdeank Member, Troll

99.666% of end-users won't ever visit their control panel.

• Directadmin of course! It's as good if not better than cPanel and you don't need to pay a lot. Simple pricing.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Users on cPanel don't like being moved to other panels. Drives me nuts, but it's true. Pisses them off nearly every time. The kind of user that's happy to drop cPanel generally is the one not signing up with someone who uses it. On the other hand, it's probably worth losing them for the savings. And on that note, don't pick plesk because that's like migrating from BlueHost to HostGator. DirectAdmin it is.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Take a look at ApisCP, otherwise directadmin

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2021

I like DirectAdmin compared to cPanel now and run my own server, purely for the backup and the speed.

If there was a reseller backup script for DirectAdmin like WHMeasybackup @DA_Mark id move a reseller account over as well. A lot of hosting providers seem to disable the backup for end users / resellers.

• Keyhelp

Simple and functional.

Thanked by 1Tony40
  • directadmin would be my #1 out of those options

• Directadmin, though I'm a built salty that I wasn't able to double my lifetime license when it was available. ApisCP is great, too.

• Is there shell access on directAdmin to execute CLI commands for php composer and npm and stuff like that?

• DA has gotten a lot easier to navigate for casual users like me, but it still has a lot of missing features and helpful information displayed IMO. Has weird quirks, too. Like as a reseller account, I had no way of resetting my password without knowing my current one. Also had trouble resetting passwords for email accounts IIRC. So I idled the account until RackNerd came into view, and I am happily back to playing with cPanel for just as cheap.

• From the 3 options provided DA has my preference ..

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

In my personal opinion and this also might be cause I've been a cPanel user since a very long time, I quite like it and I'm very used to it. Only recently have I been in the need to migrate to other panels but it's nothing that'd make the service a deal breaker for me. I'm used to it and it's cool and all, But in the end, It's just a "good to have" not a "need".

I've tried many panels and plesk is just plain confusing and their DNS manager is out of my head. If I see a web hosting service using plesk, I becomes a deal breaker for me because I don't understand it and it's simply not something I'd like to get into any time soon. I think this is the same for many people too.

AS for DirectAdmin, So far, I've loved everything about it, still getting used to it and there are a few things I don't like which are requested features for a long time but the devs don't seam to care about them (talking about separate subdomain folders outside of the public_html of the root domain) but it's something that can be fixed with some custom scripting or doing it manually, No one makes new subdomains everyday anyways.

Web Hosting is just something to setup once and then never log into the control panel unless you need to make edits, changes, SSL upgrades or setup a new domain and stuff. Only very occasionally does a user have a need to mess around the control panel.

What control panel a host uses doesn't really matter unless it's either really bad, has serious security issues or is just plain confusing which might take more than just googling.

With the recent actions of cPanel, seeing the direction it's going in, I think DirectAdmin is the new way to go. Would definitely give it a shot. (They even have a theme which looks very similar to the old cPanel theme, Should make the transition a bit easier.)
    _
    Just my $0.02_

• nikozinnikozin Member
    edited December 2021

I'd jump to any control panel which has following:

• Fail2ban, Web Application Firewall with OWASP or any other updated rules with recent vulnerabilities fixes
    • Latest PHP with NGINX+Apache Proxy.. (ughh lightspeed? not sure about it)
    • Easy mail configuration and setup.

License fee <$5 per month with unlimited domains, users

Bonus Points:

• Python/NodeJS/Git support

Like above comments said, control panel should be setup and forget. It must also use stable linux packages so no bugs.

Notable mentions:
    -CyberPanel had a promising start, good ambition but was managed by just 1 person.
    -KeyHelp is another, but due to closed source, I am reluctant

• cPanel untill directadmin will create something like "Live transfer" like cpanel has.

edited December 2021

@edoarudo5 said:
    Directadmin, though I'm a built salty that I wasn't able to double my lifetime license when it was available. ApisCP is great, too.

Haha you own like every owned license there is?

I think Cpanel is garbage and direct admin is just a copy of that garbage. I really like the OS like file manager in direct admin but that's about it

I am also very bias towards ApisCP now since I own some 6 lifetime licenses

• @ezeth said:

@edoarudo5 said:
    Directadmin, though I'm a built salty that I wasn't able to double my lifetime license when it was available. ApisCP is great, too.

I think Cpanel is garbage and direct admin is just a copy of that garbage. I really like the OS like file manager in direct admin but that's about it

I like collecting lifetimes licenses (and services), I keep my eye out on lifetime licenses especially if it also comes with lifetime updates, it doesn't have to come with support. I have an educational license for cPanel (which is also lifetime) but I let it expire (should be always used, disabled if inactive for 3 months) because I prefer using my directadmin license over it, LOL. I love ApisCP, I just wish it had openlitespeed or nginx support.

• @ezeth said: direct admin is just a copy of that garbage

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, do you?

edited December 2021

@edoarudo5 said:

@ezeth said:

@edoarudo5 said:

I like collecting lifetimes licenses (and services), I keep my eye out on lifetime licenses especially if it also comes with lifetime updates, it doesn't have to come with support. I have an educational license for cPanel (which is also lifetime) but I let it expire (should be always used, disabled if inactive for 3 months) because I prefer using my directadmin license over it, LOL. I love ApisCP, I just wish it had openlitespeed or nginx support.

Same here. I never got the chance to collect DirectAdmin licenses so I'm trying to catch up with ApisCP. I think ApisCP is better since there is no need for cloudlinux like it is with DirectAdmin, and cloudlinux has no lifetimes.

Cpanel and DirectAdmin is built on the need to have 3rd party integrations. Cloudlinux. Litespeed. One click installer. garbage.

• Apiscp

Thanked by 1nem
  • @ezeth said:

@edoarudo5 said:

@ezeth said:

@edoarudo5 said:

Same here. I never got the chance to collect DirectAdmin licenses so I'm trying to catch up with ApisCP. I think ApisCP is better since there is no need for cloudlinux like it is with DirectAdmin, and cloudlinux has no lifetimes.

Cpanel and DirectAdmin is built on the need to have 3rd party integrations. Cloudlinux. Litespeed. One click installer. garbage.

My biggest regret in life was spending about $5000 on a mobile game called Castle Clash (but at least I got rank 1 in the world at some point), I wish I spent that money buying more directadmin licenses and other lifetime licenses like softaculous when it was available.

• ApisCP is a good panel and like where it’s going. I use it for some personal projects but would I use it in a commercial environment. No. The biggest problem it has is a single point of failure in only one dev.

• @ezeth said:

@edoarudo5 said:

@ezeth said:

@edoarudo5 said:

Directadmin alson can limit ressource per account in their pro pack like cloudlinux does

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited December 2021

@jar said: Users on cPanel don't like being moved to other panels.

true. After using cPanel for nearly 8 years, I migrated to direct-admin. It is indeed feature-rich like cPanel but once you use cPanel then its cPanel forever.

But people are like this new DA. those who have tight budget, and have never used cPanel can definitely like directadmin or plesk.

Also, rest of the panels are only for techies. novice users will not like it. So stick to cPanel, plesk or directadmin.

• stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2021

Trying to cut corners or pinch pennies is not the way to go unless you really have to. cPanel is standard, best and most well known by everyone and actually a very solid product and worth the cost.

• lifehost360_comlifehost360_com Member, Host Rep

we´re working with ISPConfig, which is free of any licensing. only if you need a billing module our easier relocation, you can buy available scripts for small money.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@LeonDynamic said:
    ApisCP is a good panel and like where it’s going. I use it for some personal projects but would I use it in a commercial environment. No. The biggest problem it has is a single point of failure in only one dev.

It's good to have strong direction for development. If anything were to happen to me there's a wife with an island in her future and a list of suitors that would love to take the reins, but in any other capacity it wouldn't be the same product from what I've encountered. This industry needs time to learn there are alternatives to cPanel. It's slow progress, although I'll let time be the judge of it all.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Absolutely, Thanks for everyone's feedback, for the most part we will stick with cPanel as things develop we may adopt DA as a separate service.

• serversupportzserversupportz Member, Host Rep

@davenz said:
    Hello all,

Currently here at Coast Hosting we run cPanel however are starting to look at other options to offer reduce license costs.

All feedback welcomed.

Let's take cPanel and DirectAdmin. Both panels offer a modern GUI. Both are quite modern and facilitate server and domain management via a friendly, easy-to-use interface.

But DirectAdmin's interface seems to be a bit easier in regard to the number of ports and access levels.

• For what it's worth, as a casual who has used cpanel for over a decade and am currently trying out some direct admin accounts.... I really miss the email tracking feature that cpanel has and apparently Direct Admin requires Pro Pack to have something like it (the smtp in/out isn't quite the same). Apparently the hosting (2 DA accounts) I picked up this black friday are not pro-pack enabled DA accounts.