Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner vs Soyoustart
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner vs Soyoustart

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the two?

Comments

• Soyoustart is longer

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited December 2021

Hetzner better support and upload speed

SYS server-grade hardware (costs a premium outside of hetzner auction), IPMI, cheap IPv4 and automatic hardware replacements while you are asleep etc

• Off-topic, but, for native English speakers, how does "So you start" sound/look like? Because, to me, SYS looks good, but the acronym less.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Hetzner is better all around except for DDoS protection.

• @SteveMC said:
    Off-topic, but, for native English speakers, how does "So you start" sound/look like? Because, to me, SYS looks good, but the acronym less.

First impression from the name when they launched was bad, now that they have built the brand I’m indifferent. It is memorable from how unusual it is

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Only reason to pick OVH is if you need better DDoS Protection or more locations. After their black friday offers I moved 80% of my servers from Hetzner to OVH and its been fine.

• @SteveMC said:
    Off-topic, but, for native English speakers, how does "So you start" sound/look like? Because, to me, SYS looks good, but the acronym less.

At first I thought it was a bit weird but then saw it abbreviated SYS and thought hey, that's neat.

Thanked by 2darkimmortal SteveMC
  • @Wicked said:
    Only reason to pick OVH is if you need better DDoS Protection or more locations. After their black friday offers I moved 80% of my servers from Hetzner to OVH and its been fine.

Or more ip's Hetzner are way to expensive right now ....

• @Wicked said:
    Only reason to pick OVH is if you need better DDoS Protection or more locations. After their black friday offers I moved 80% of my servers from Hetzner to OVH and its been fine.

Value for money hetzner seems to be the best pick though don’t you think?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Both are bottom barrel hosts, meant for poor folks such as us.

Does it matter? No, it does not matter which.

The only difference is that one is the Germans. The other is the French. Both love to set things on fire. That's all I know.

Thanked by 3pbx allthemtings Calin
  • SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited December 2021

@deank said: Both love to set things on fire.

Strasbourg was in Germany for a long time, it might explain things. (bad joke)

By the way, all is a matter of finding the right offer for your needs.

Thanked by 1fixxation
  • GodSpeedGodSpeed Member
    edited December 2021

The Germans are, in general, rigorous and guaranteed. The French are romantic, but they also lose quality and efficiency as a result.

So I think it's hetzner

• Hetzner have more things you’re not allowed to do than SoYouStart.

Hetzner have actual cancellation polices that you need to be aware of.

Hetzner have never had a DC burn down.

These are the factors that matter to LET’ers.

• @GodSpeed said:
    The Germans are, in general, rigorous and guaranteed. The French are romantic, but they also lose quality and efficiency as a result.

So I think it's hetzner

Horrific national stereotyping.

Thanked by 2webcraft Ouji

I'd like to point out that Hetzner has Katie also.

The only real female around the wasteland as far as I know.

• GodSpeedGodSpeed Member
    edited December 2021

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

So I think it's hetzner

if you've actually been exposed to them, you should know that it's not stereotypical prejudice.

both France and Germany have their own cultures and strengths.

germany is good at manufacturing, engineering.

france is in culture and economics.

the education systems between them are not at all the same.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

I think it's a lot easier to make a high availability k8s cluster with hetzner.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited December 2021

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

So I think it's hetzner

Let's alter it a bit (from my having lived substantially in both countries):
    The Germans are, in general, stressful and rigorous.
    The French are, in general, relaxed and cheaters.

Baguette vs. Brötchen - tough choice.

Like I said, the French has a long history of setting important things on fire.

So, no surprises there. It's just what they do.

• @GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

So I think it's hetzner

if you've actually been exposed to them, you should know that it's not stereotypical prejudice.

I have, and I disagree, based on my personal experience of working with engineering teams in both locations.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

So I think it's hetzner

I have, and I disagree, based on my personal experience of working with engineering teams in both locations.

The point of view I'm stating is just my opinion and I don't expect you to understand it.

There are both good and bad people in a country, and this is the same all over the world. I'm just saying that this is their distinguishing characteristic.

So don't reply, do you understand?

• This thread didn’t go down the way I expected 🤯

• @allthemtings said:
    This thread didn’t go down the way I expected 🤯

Welcome to LET :tongue:

However, as i said, if you find the offer which matches your needs and budget, no matter with which you go.

Thanked by 1allthemtings
  • @SteveMC said:

@allthemtings said:
    This thread didn’t go down the way I expected 🤯

Welcome to LET :tongue:

However, as i said, if you find the offer which matches your needs and budget, no matter with which you go.

Thanks boss I’ll keep an eye out, any experience using the hetzner auction?

• @GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

So I think it's hetzner

The point of view I'm stating is just my opinion and I don't expect you to understand it.

There are both good and bad people in a country, and this is the same all over the world. I'm just saying that this is their distinguishing characteristic.

Fucking hell, you’re a joyless prick.

• @Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

So I think it's hetzner

Hahahaha, pissed off bastard. ;)

• @GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

So I think it's hetzner

I love it here

• @GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

So I think it's hetzner

I don’t think you know me that well, sunbeam.

• @Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

@Nekki said:

@GodSpeed said:

So I think it's hetzner

I don’t think you know me that well, sunbeam.