Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got an email about a topic regarding buyVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Got an email about a topic regarding buyVM

Got an email from here, subject '[LowEndTalk] pielies mentioned you in Calling all BuyVM members', but when I click the link it gives a permission error. I'm out of the loop, what happened there?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

What the fuck? Why the PMS would you click that link?

Seriously. What the hell?

• @deank said:
    What the fuck? Why the PMS would you click that link?

Seriously. What the hell?

't was the first mail I got from LET this year, probably someone metioned me in a topic: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/174504/calling-all-buyvm-members - but I can't access is anymore... Which is why I'm curious what happened there.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Basically someone mass mentioned people to spam their inboxes.

Francisco

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2021

There was a LET post made, but it has since been deleted. Someone tagged a bunch of LET members in it. Was gone before I got around to seeing it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• @Francisco said:
    Basically someone mass mentioned people to spam their inboxes.

Francisco

Oh that explains a lot. I'm a happy buyVM customer since 2012, so no worries there. 10/10, but such a topic on LET does get my interest, especially when it's forbidden when I open the email link.

I would never click any links from an email unless I am absolutely sure that it is safe.

• @deank said:
    I would never click any links from an email unless I am absolutely sure that it is safe.

I've got a specific unique email for Lowendtalk, so if that is used I'm quite sure it's from here. Google/mail thinks it's okay, so thats another guarantee and I do have a a forum message here regarding the same topic.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited October 2021

deanWinchester doesn't even click on the "Quote" button here, let alone links from an email.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

I got mentioned on LET & LES.

Someone knows what it was about?

My email on LET is a dud, so I wouldn't get any emails from LET.

But personally I would never trust any email from LET itself, let alone any link.

@Shakib said:
    I got mentioned on LET & LES.

Someone knows what it was about?

Just someone scraping usernames off both forums and then tagging everyone in some random thread.

Thanked by 3Shakib ariq01 level6
  • @DP said: Just someone scraping usernames off both forums and then tagging everyone in some random thread.

Looks like I am not everyone, no e-mail here (-:

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

/tinfoilhaton
    This is orchestrated by Francisco for advertising reasons.
    /tinfoihatoff

@JabJab said:

@DP said: Just someone scraping usernames off both forums and then tagging everyone in some random thread.

Looks like I am not everyone, no e-mail here (-:

This was pertaining to the notifications of being tagged on the forums.

Not about being the recipient of the phishing/spam email.

• @DP said: This was pertaining to the notifications of being tagged on the forums.

I know. No tag for me, no e-mail from LET. No big enough to get auto-tagged from spammer, FeelsBadMan.

• @Maounique said:
    /tinfoilhaton
    This is orchestrated by Francisco for advertising reasons.
    /tinfoihatoff

Dude... try going a month without typing "Fran".

• @Raymii said:

Google/mail thinks it's okay, so thats another guarantee and I do have a a forum message here regarding the same topic.

Quite an assumption. I wish you well

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said: Dude... try going a month without typing "Fran".

I think last month didn't, but was ill, moving house and had a deadline for a book.

• I got the email too. Has someone leaked the BuyVM customer list?

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited October 2021

@seikan said:
    I got the email too. Has someone leaked the BuyVM customer list?

Someone just mass Tagged people here at random which triggered the email from LET that you got.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2021

@seikan said:
    I got the email too. Has someone leaked the BuyVM customer list?

Yes, including BuyVM's official list of LET users. People have been after the list of LET users that are BuyVM customers for years, this breach will definitely be on CNN.

• I got the email too :/

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Looks like increasing mentions and mention notifications may be a good way to increase user retention @jbiloh

• I feel a bit privileged to be part of this exclusive club. Are we going to have a secret handshake or BuyVM pre-BF coupon code?

• @arsend is tinyweasel's rereg

• I'm not very good at sign language, but I take that as a yes.

• @Crab said:
    I'm not very good at sign language, but I take that as a yes.

um, no, that was sarcasm

• I also got an email. May it be related to these other scam emails I just received?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Giulio said:
    I also got an email. May it be related to these other scam emails I just received?

Yeah there's someone that has been scraping emails from our discord/users githubs/youtubes/etc and mass emailing them phishing attempts.

Thats been going on for a few weeks.

Francisco