Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ionos.com Scam
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ionos.com Scam

weircoweirco Member
edited October 2021 in Providers

Be aware of ionos.com, they tried to steal my money from their trial offer.

they offer $100 credit of their dedicated server. so when order, you will got usd0 billing, asked to register by paypal account.
before do order I confirm with their live support. they seems welcome, and force me to do the register ass soon as possible.

I do register, got link to paypal payment. the billing is right usd0, do the payment, then redirect to ionos.com website, try login with the email and password, but failed. suddenly got email with $30 automatic payment from ionos.com, then got $10. its sems from their reccuring payment, I didn't know how, because I only confirm $0 payment subscription before.

Check paypal to declined to payment. thanks God, paypal held the $30 payment, while the $10 in pending. after a hour, it become canceled both.

check in my reccuring payment on paypal, then cancel the preapprove payment from ionos

Thanked by 1DSTech

Comments

• Claim Paypal and get your money back.
    I work with them for years and got no problem so far.

• @dzungbb said:
    Claim Paypal and get your money back.

who are "them"? If "them" = ionos, you're lucky, very lucky

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@comXyz said: "them" = ionos

I have a consulting customer hosting PHP web apps them for over 15 years. Their stuff works, albeit LET hosts are cheaper with better products (their panel is garbage and slow).

• @lentro if you keep your services continue at ionos, then most likely you won't have problems. People usually get problems if they want to stop using ionos, domains, hostings.. etc

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@comXyz said: People usually get problems if they want to stop using ionos, domains, hostings.. etc

Yep, had to contact their support two times. But they are by no means a "scam" and don't try to "steal money." They are legit.

Thanked by 2Ympker sayem314
  • @lentro said: Yep, had to contact their support two times. But they are by no means a "scam" and don't try to "steal money." They are legit.

Register a domain at ionos, then transfer it away, and you might see

Thanked by 2eingress Daniel15
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Scam? No. Evil? Yeah.

• JioJio Member

did you're buy windows ? because its pricing says winodws and other addons are not included in the $100 credit and the amount matches

• ionos 1and1 may not be scam but they are too greedy to send invoices for already expired domain. Once a domain is expired, it gets back to registry and available for public to register. There's no reason for Ionos to send invoice for its renewal.

cheap tricks.

• I've had them re-enable auto-renew on domains and then send to collections for non payment despite having cancelled the billing agreement, which is illegal.

I've had them invoice for domains that were transferred away.

They had a period after rebranding to Ionos that they didn't try these things but have reverted to the old 1&1 tricks.

Avoid like the plauge.

Thanked by 1chedenaz
  • Had bad experiences with them in the past, years back (with 1&1). Had some pretty shady tactics in the past, doesn't seem like much has changed.

• Many of my clients are hosted at IONOS. They are not a scam. Not sure what went wrong in your case, but I never ran into much trouble with them. Only one time, I had to call them since their installation tool somehow installed WP on the temporary domain rather than on the actual domain path. Other than that, no issues.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • They took my $3.87(promotional) for an .org, never got the domain.

They have history like godaddy to not let people transfer their domain elsewhere, deleting domains, take away domains like that is their own property.

• @comXyz said:

@lentro said: Yep, had to contact their support two times. But they are by no means a "scam" and don't try to "steal money." They are legit.

I did this (even took screenshots for a tutorial).
    No problems whatsoever.

• @bikegremlin said:

@comXyz said:

@lentro said: Yep, had to contact their support two times. But they are by no means a "scam" and don't try to "steal money." They are legit.

No problems whatsoever.

I'm sure it's OK for some, but a lot of people have issues relating to domains. A quick google for IONOS/1&1 shows a lot.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

That's what I received in 5 days after transferring below pointed domain out from IONOS:

Dear ***** *****,

You will find your invoice of $10.99 for contract 40****** attached.

Among other items, the invoiced contracts include the following domains:

*****.com

The amount will be deducted within the next 7 days by means of the payment method specified on the Payment Details page.

No other items were present in aforementioned "contract" .

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @iKeyZ said:

@bikegremlin said:

@comXyz said:

No problems whatsoever.

I'm sure it's OK for some, but a lot of people have issues relating to domains. A quick google for IONOS/1&1 shows a lot.

I take most feedback with a grain of salt (do likewise with mine).
    People often don't report things exactly as they had happened.

For one - I know that some German companies insist on service cancellation at least 30 days before the next payment is due. Did the people complaining of those charges wait until that deadline had arrived?

Ionos is not my cup of tea for hosting or domain registration, but I don't regard them as scammers.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@bikegremlin said:

For one - I know that some German companies insist on service cancellation at least 30 days before the next payment is due.

In case with domain names that is nonsense - what, we have to plan domain transfers ahead? That charge is just a penalty for those who are not aware of these specific rules. Why even risk registering domains with them.

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited October 2021

@vero said:

@bikegremlin said:

For one - I know that some German companies insist on service cancellation at least 30 days before the next payment is due.

In case with domain names that is nonsense - what, we have to plan domain transfers ahead? That charge is just a penalty for those who are not aware of these specific rules. Why even risk registering domains with them.

I don't. Not anymore.
    But I was made aware of that policy by the company while I was using the service.
    It's not a scam if you don't like a policy - and are made aware of it. At least not in my book.

Registered a few domains for $1 per year - then migrated because they had relatively high renewal prices, poorly designed control panel, and that renewal policy which I didn't like. Still doesn't make them scammers.

• @dzungbb said:

PayPal automatically declined the payment.

• @comXyz said:

@dzungbb said:

who are "them"? If "them" = ionos, you're lucky, very lucky

When I check, the two payment got declined by PayPal.

• BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited October 2021

@bikegremlin said: I don't. Not anymore.
    But I was made aware of that policy by the company while I was using the service.
    It's not a scam if you don't like a policy - and are made aware of it. At least not in my book.

Registered a few domains for $1 per year - then migrated because they had relatively high renewal prices, poorly designed control panel, and that renewal policy which I didn't like. Still doesn't make them scammers.

It's scam according to ICANN & registry rules. Domain name registrations/renewals don't work that way.

• It's scam according to ICANN & registry rules. Domain name registrations/renewals don't work that way.

I saved few domains after contacting ICANN, will never use ionos for anything again

• Most people don't go to ICANN and lose their domain names hoping they will register it after expiry(in their dream). I have multiple cases with multiple registrars when they say something is not possible. When I show them ICANN rules they pee on their pants.

• @Boogeyman said:

@bikegremlin said: I don't. Not anymore.

It's scam according to ICANN & registry rules. Domain name registrations/renewals don't work that way.

Do you have an ICANN link/document explaining this?

edited October 2021

@bikegremlin said: Do you have an ICANN link/document explaining this?

Google ICANN RAA 2013 and see all the procedures(transfer rules/whois abuse/how your previous registrar gets a refund from registry in case of renew grace period transfer) and how you can create any dispute.

Just an example: https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/registrar-advisory-concerning-registration-transfers-within-the-auto-renew-grace-period-6-6-2002-en

• @Boogeyman said:

@bikegremlin said: Do you have an ICANN link/document explaining this?

Google ICANN RAA 2013 and see all the procedures(transfer rules/whois abuse/how your previous registrar gets a refund from registry in case of renew grace period transfer) and how you can create any dispute.

Just an example: https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/registrar-advisory-concerning-registration-transfers-within-the-auto-renew-grace-period-6-6-2002-en

What does it say about registrar business policies?
    Does it regulate their prices, renewal prices and cancellation periods?
    I can't find that defined.

• I purchased a domain with them years ago, and canceled it after a year. Around 5 years later I got a letter in the mail from a collections agency saying I owned Ionos hundreds of dollars in unpaid bills, all for this one domain. This was a real collections company, I called them and told them I canceled this service years ago, and their response was "sorry, this happens all the time with Ionos, I'll go ahead and delete your file". The collections agency had better support and was more reputable then Ionos. I'm not sure if this was intentional by Ionos or not, but either way, I would stay away.

Thanked by 2eingress iKeyZ
    edited October 2021

@bikegremlin said: What does it say about registrar business policies?

I don't have any factory that produces eyes. ICANN doesn't regulate prices at registrar level. ICANN regulates what registrars and registries can do and cannot. No fucking registrars can make anything on their own(cancellation periods) that breaches ICANN policy. It doesn't work that way.

• @Boogeyman said:

@bikegremlin said: What does it say about registrar business policies?

I don't have any factory that produces eyes. ICANN doesn't regulate prices at registrar level. ICAAN regulates what registrars and registries can do and cannot. No fucking registrars can make anything on their own(cancellation periods) that breaches ICANN policy. It doesn't work that way.

I agree. But I don't see that info contradicting (or dictating) the cancellation policy between a client and the registrar.

I also believe ICANN (and other regulating bodies) also see it similarly - wouldn't otherwise ionos have been prohibited from doing domain registration?