Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ionos.com Scam - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ionos.com Scam

2»

Comments

• BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited October 2021

@bikegremlin said: I agree. But I don't see that info contradicting (or dictating) the cancellation policy between a client and the registrar.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en
    https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2017-10-10-en

It might give some ideas.

I also believe ICANN (and other regulating bodies) also see it similarly - wouldn't otherwise ionos have been prohibited from doing domain registration?

Registrars often get restricted on certain actions(new reg/renew/etc) when they are in breach. In serious cases ICANN terminates accreditation. But not everybody knows these rules and report to ICANN and registrars take chance of that. But if you can show registrar that(certain action by registrar) is prohibited by ICANN they will immediately let you pass.

If you look through ICANN docs you will find all the answers.

• @Boogeyman said:

@bikegremlin said: I agree. But I don't see that info contradicting (or dictating) the cancellation policy between a client and the registrar.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en
    https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2017-10-10-en

It might give some ideas.

I also believe ICANN (and other regulating bodies) also see it similarly - wouldn't otherwise ionos have been prohibited from doing domain registration?

Registrars often get restricted on certain actions(new reg/renew/etc) when they are in breach. In serious cases ICANN terminates accreditation. But not everybody knows these rules and report to ICANN and registrars take chance of that. But if you can show registrar that(certain action by registrar) is prohibited by ICANN they will immediately let you pass.

If you look through ICANN docs you will find all the answers.

We obviously have a different understanding of those written articles.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

I also didn't find a clear statement, that registrar is prohibited to charge for transferred out domain (too obvious?), but well, if one takes money for something he doesn't provide with, isn't this a scam?

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited October 2021

@vero said: No other items were present in aforementioned "contract" .

exactly same here. I received one for expired domain! I mean, a novice user may think, ah! their domain is back into the account and will pay for it but in reality it is gone to public!

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited October 2021

Nothing to be free on exchange to your Credit Card data. If you open your bank to them by yourself there no scam.

• @JasonM said:
    ionos 1and1 may not be scam but they are too greedy to send invoices for already expired domain. Once a domain is expired, it gets back to registry and available for public to register. There's no reason for Ionos to send invoice for its renewal.

cheap tricks.

30 days after expiry. It's common for the registrar to hold onto the domain for 30 days in case the customer forgot and intended to renew it. They make their money in additional renewal fee.

• @vero said:
    I also didn't find a clear statement, that registrar is prohibited to charge for transferred out domain (too obvious?), but well, if one takes money for something he doesn't provide with, isn't this a scam?

Fraud, yes.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2021

@JasonM said:

@vero said: No other items were present in aforementioned "contract" .

exactly same here. I received one for expired domain! I mean, a novice user may think, ah! their domain is back into the account and will pay for it but in reality it is gone to public!

So? Even if it went back to public availability, paying the invoice would buy/renew the domain again.

Where one has a legit beef is if you've transferred out and paid the next year with the new registrar and still got invoiced from old registrar. That would be 100% fucked up.

• If this has been happened in 2021 and happened to me again in December 2022 this company is obviously in the habit of doing this. This very same thing happened to me and believe the law needs to have a serious look into this company as they could imitate emails using your domain name since they have access to your email accounts.

I registered my email domain with them, one week later they locked my account on a Friday evening at 3pm citing they needed passport and personal information by 4:30om or I would have to wait all weekend for their security team to review it on Monday. This was after their support agent opened the account for me via a telephone call and said everything I provided was enough. After hours of back and fourth that evening I canceled my account but they still charged me $14.50 one week later, canceled my account and held on to my domain saying I have to wait until the redemption period ended in 4 weeks. After the 4 weeks they still held on to the domain and called it a "premium" domain charging $5420 one time payment or $11 for 10 years. This company is dangerous, they keep you holding on for a long and this entire scheme seems to be something they have very well planned because directly after the redemption period a new host said they still held on to my domain. I told IONOS this over the phone that the new host can see they are still holding it, they made me hold on for 10 minutes then said someone else purchased the domain. After we refreshed the page the host I wanted to move to could see they moved the domain to another hosting provider. Do not trust this company!

• I’m never using Ionos/1&1 ever again after they sent debt collectors after me for €0.99 - I transferred a domain away from them, after a year with the other provider they inform me that even though I transferred the domain out I still need to cancel the “contract” or else I still owe them for the service they aren’t providing me with any more. Shady stuff

• @bluehairminerboy said: sent debt collectors after me for €0.99

PayPal does the same. I know people that are being harassed over the phone by "debt collectors" for similar amounts - for years now.

• @bluehairminerboy said: I still need to cancel the “contract”

It's a ~10 page adventure and even after that, you have to call them to confirm

Please confirm your cancellation by calling customer service

For your protection, we ask that you confirm your cancellation by calling our customer service department within 14 days.

If you do not confirm your cancellation by phone to our customer service within this timeframe, the contract will remain active.