Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can all offer threads be Sink?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can all offer threads be Sink?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited August 2021

Can all offer threads be disallowed, and all providers banned?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

As I get older I start to see things and go "That's annoying" like I always did, but the new part of it is that I then ask myself "Why am I annoyed by this?" Most of the time I don't have a reason other than some strange desire to be in control of something that I'm not and probably shouldn't be.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I love having new offers pop up every day.

I do not want to see old offers.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I like seeing new offers but I also like seeing what is 'popular' based on engagement

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Nigh is the new end.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@deank said: Nigh is the new end.

Or, is end the new nigh?

I like seeing offers, both new and old to gage prices.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:

I shall forever cry now that you have publically disowned me ;(

• @yoursunny said:

+1 on this, also unban GoogieHost and then ban him again.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • darbdarb Member

While you are at it, lets just ban all of the ads also. They interfere with my experience when I come here. If I cant have it my way, I could be tempted to leave and start my own forum.

Thanked by 2yoursunny dahartigan
  • has the multiple ryzen threads finally sunk?

• New offers should be 1st seen in top 5 or 10 of the places.

Offers old than 6 months, if generates new comments, should be certainly on the 1st page but should be placed at the end/bottom of the page. So those interested can check it for what's happening in older threads.

It's less annoying for everyone.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Or just disallow what's really annoying: Commenting order numbers to obtain some free upgrade. If something is free, then include it in the offer.

Then threads will automatically sink if there's no ongoing discussion. As long as there is some meaningful discussion around an offer, I want to read it. But reading through oder numbers is just boring.

• Happened again. Main poll thread has been closed.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@chocolateshirt said:
    Happened again. Main poll thread has been closed.

What a great thing! LET is active - and enjoying what RackNerd has to offer.

• The amount of sour grapes from people and providers is really pathetic.

It seems like everyone is either hardcore on the spectrum and can't just ignore the distraction, or seem genuinely butthurt that there are players in the game who play to win for keeps not just fun.

• Just install anti-cisnero addon and be done with that. Ezpz. I sleep very well after I done that.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Why did Virmach get sunk again @jbiloh?

There's no automatic sinking, you've admitted to that in another thread, which means someone went and sunk his BF threads. His latest replies were only 2 - 3 hours ago, he should hold on the homepage for at least a day.

Francisco

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Francisco said:

There's no automatic sinking, you've admitted to that in another thread, which means someone went and sunk his BF threads. His latest replies were only 2 - 3 hours ago, he should hold on the homepage for at least a day.

Francisco

Link me to the Virmach thread you are referring to please.

@jbiloh said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Link me to the Virmach thread you are referring to please.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3276872#Comment_3276872

Francisco

Because there seems to be genuine community engagement in this thread I have removed the sink. We are in the process of getting some analytics stuff setup so we have proper logging for moderation changes.

@jbiloh said:
    Because there seems to be genuine community engagement in this thread I have removed the sink. We are in the process of getting some analytics stuff setup so we have proper logging for moderation changes.

2nd time its happened to him though.

He's the only provider getting sunk. I can go dig up some UptimeVPS thread from 6 years ago and it'll be frontpage probably.

Everyone should have the same shot at selling. If you want this place to be a spam fest of 'thanks have some bandwidth' and crap like that, fine.

Given Virmach's public statements against CC though makes it out like you got a vendetta against him. Maybe you do.

Francisco

• edited September 2021

@dustinc said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    Happened again. Main poll thread has been closed.

What a great thing! LET is active - and enjoying what RackNerd has to offer.

FULL with somebody posting ticket number, and you replied it by quoting one by one comment to bump the threads.

@LTniger said:
    Just install anti-cisnero addon and be done with that. Ezpz. I sleep very well after I done that.

You can not do that on mobile browser.

• I use Greasemonkey addon with that script to hide a "specific" provider. I feel scrolling is much more easier on LET now.

I also disabled all ads on LET with uBlock Origin, because I started to not like this new admin and what he did to Virmach. I feel Vanilla is much more cleaner now.

@default said: I also disabled all ads on LET with uBlock Origin, because I started to not like this new admin and what he did to Virmach. I feel Vanilla is much more cleaner now.

Wish you'd unblock the ads.

• @jbiloh said:

@default said: I also disabled all ads on LET with uBlock Origin, because I started to not like this new admin and what he did to Virmach. I feel Vanilla is much more cleaner now.

Wish you'd unblock the ads.

Wish you'd treat providers equally, and respect the voice of community from the poll you organized. Vox populi, vox Dei.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited September 2021

@Francisco said:

@jbiloh said:

2nd time its happened to him though.

He's the only provider getting sunk. I can go dig up some UptimeVPS thread from 6 years ago and it'll be frontpage probably.

Everyone should have the same shot at selling. If you want this place to be a spam fest of 'thanks have some bandwidth' and crap like that, fine.

Given Virmach's public statements against CC though makes it out like you got a vendetta against him. Maybe you do.

I'm split between the malice and incompetence explanations. Malice, because Virmach seems to be the only one being affected by it, but incompetence too, because jbiloh seemingly won't do simple stuff like disabling the WAF on Cloudflare, that only takes a click of a button while allowing the community to post code-block based tutorials.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@default said: Wish you'd treat providers equally, and respect the voice of community from the poll you organized. Vox populi, vox Dei.

Maybe you'll reconsider in the future then. Ad revenue is critical to supporting everything that goes into our community.

@stevewatson301 said: I'm split between the malice and incompetence explanations. Malice, because Virmach seems to be the only one being affected by it, but incompetence too, because jbiloh seemingly won't do simple stuff like disabling the WAF on Cloudflare, that only takes a click of a button while allowing the community to post code-block based tutorials.

I am not sure who previously sunk that thread or for how long or when it happened. But as mentioned earlier, it is no longer sunk and we will continue to monitor the activity in the thread.

As for the WAF, I've spent a non immaterial part of my life defending LET from all sorts of attacks -- that said I take the security of the platform seriously and am always hesitant to make changes that expose a greater part of LET to potential risks. I've made a few tweaks on the WAF to try to avoid the code situation you mentioned. Please let me know if it's any better.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

@jbiloh said:

@default said: Wish you'd treat providers equally, and respect the voice of community from the poll you organized. Vox populi, vox Dei.

Maybe you'll reconsider in the future then. Ad revenue is critical to supporting everything that goes into our community.

Just start charging spammy/heavy marketing host(s) so that their offer threads don't sink. Each thread - $150/week.

10 spammy offer threads - $1500/week

$1500 x 4 = $6000/mo

LET won't require to survive on ad income then ;)

Modern problems, require modern solutions B-)

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited September 2021

@jbiloh said: As for the WAF, I've spent a non immaterial part of my life defending LET from all sorts of attacks -- that said I take the security of the platform seriously and am always hesitant to make changes that expose a greater part of LET to potential risks. I've made a few tweaks on the WAF to try to avoid the code situation you mentioned. Please let me know if it's any better.

The attacks that you see are volumetric DDOS attacks, not request payload based attacks (unless there are bugs in Vanilla), so I don't see the point.

Anyway, people can't still post code blocks that contains more than some defined threshold of special characters like backticks (required for code sections) or braces, and the words "NULL" and "0x" (required for configuration files and straces)

@stevewatson301 said: The attacks that you see are volumetric DDOS attacks, not request payload based attacks (unless there are bugs in Vanilla), so I don't see the point.

We see all types of attacks.

@stevewatson301 said: Anyway, people can't still post code blocks that contains more than some defined threshold of special characters like backticks (required for code sections) or braces, and the words "NULL" and "0x" (required for configuration files and straces)

When did you last test this?