Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can all offer threads be Sink? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can all offer threads be Sink?

Comments

• @jbiloh said:

@stevewatson301 said: Anyway, people can't still post code blocks that contains more than some defined threshold of special characters like backticks (required for code sections) or braces, and the words "NULL" and "0x" (required for configuration files and straces)

When did you last test this?

Sept 9th

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said:

@stevewatson301 said: Anyway, people can't still post code blocks that contains more than some defined threshold of special characters like backticks (required for code sections) or braces, and the words "NULL" and "0x" (required for configuration files and straces)

Sept 9th

Please try again now.

• @jbiloh said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said:

Sept 9th

Please try again now.

It's still that way, try posting lines 1-30 of the following paste: https://paste.ee/p/ncFwr

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said:

Sept 9th

Please try again now.

It's still that way, try posting lines 1-30 of the following paste: https://paste.ee/p/ncFwr

Jon's right to keep the site pretty locked down for this stuff.

The site got popped many years ago where everyone had administrator. It's actually how everyone found out that CC owned the site.

Francisco

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @Francisco said: The site got popped many years ago where everyone had administrator. It's actually how everyone found out that CC owned the site.

Link to the relevant thread?
    I suspect I might not have enough popcorn to go along with it.

@stevewatson301 said: Link to the relevant thread?

I suspect I might not have enough popcorn to go along with it.

Doubt i could find it, by now it's likely deleted.

Maybe see if you can find any threads from "SysAdmin".

Francisco

• edited September 2021

7 purple spammy threads on first page. He is really doubling everyone's spam.

Changes are coming ™

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

Hang on, so the thread Jon created to get everyone's opinions on is now closed? Is that because he didn't like the people's opinion? The very people who give him views and hits on his ads.

Hmm interesting to see that Virmach are getting sunk though, funny enough there are only four people who can now sink threads, and that's the admins. So we can all guess who's doing it can't we, there's only one who works for CC.

Isn't Virmach leaving CC? 🤔

• @NobodyInteresting said:
    Changes are coming ™

Soon™

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

@jmgcaguicla said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Changes are coming ™

Soon™

Thanks for posting Soon, I've doubled your bandwidth for bumping my sales thread. Nobody else will care but I'm adding this reply days after your post, bumping it again.

I'm psyched that we have such great engagement.

• @Jord said:
    Hang on, so the thread Jon created to get everyone's opinions on is now closed? Is that because he didn't like the people's opinion? The very people who give him views and hits on his ads.

Hmm interesting to see that Virmach are getting sunk though, funny enough there are only four people who can now sink threads, and that's the admins. So we can all guess who's doing it can't we, there's only one who works for CC.

Isn't Virmach leaving CC? 🤔

Its a bad breakup I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited September 2021

@Jord said: Hmm interesting to see that Virmach are getting sunk though, funny enough there are only four people who can now sink threads, and that's the admins.

Can you confirm jbiloh has actually unsunk the thread? Looking at the posting timestamps of the Virmach thread and comparing them with the thread homepage, I don't think he has done it.

@Jord said: Isn't Virmach leaving CC? 🤔

Yes, they are. But the conflict of interest started right when LET came under CC ownership.

• @jackb said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Changes are coming ™

Soon™

Thanks for posting Soon, I've doubled your bandwidth for bumping my sales thread. Nobody else will care but I'm adding this reply days after your post, bumping it again.

What a great thing! LET is active - and enjoying what RackNerd @jackb has to offer.

Thanked by 1jackb
    edited September 2021

@NobodyInteresting said: Its a bad breakup I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

No, this is like Virmach is sleeping on the couch, but they're still sharing the same house.

If you want to see a bad breakup you should look into VortexNode. CC went out of their way posting in their threads to get their users to migrate directly to them.

Francisco

@stevewatson301 said:

@Jord said: Hmm interesting to see that Virmach are getting sunk though, funny enough there are only four people who can now sink threads, and that's the admins.

Can you confirm jbiloh has actually unsunk the thread? Looking at the posting timestamps of the Virmach thread and comparing them with the thread homepage, I don't think he has done it.

@Jord said: Isn't Virmach leaving CC? 🤔

Yes, they are. But the conflict of interest started right when LET came under CC ownership.

I can't confirm as I have no access to unsink/sink offer threads since Jon removed it from mods last Black Friday.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@stevewatson301 said:

Yes, but that thread was 2018 and it is kinda off-topic from time to time... and is personal blog for some @imok

• @jackb said:

I'm psyched that we have such great engagement.

*some pleasantries that could've been expressed by Thank-ing the post instead of bumping the thread*. I appreciate you.

• @FAT32 said:

@stevewatson301 said:

Yes, but that thread was 2018 and it is kinda off-topic from time to time... and is personal blog for some @imok

So...a black Friday thread from last year, full of "your junk has been doubled" is not considered off-topic, but if its coming from a different provider - it is? :confusion:

Thanked by 2chocolateshirt WSWD
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@NobodyInteresting said:
    So...a black Friday thread from last year, full of "your junk has been doubled" is not considered off-topic, but if its coming from a different provider - it is? :confusion:

I don't have a clear stand on this but the VirMach one is 2018 BF which is a lot older... However, since Jon are ok with un-sinking them (including VirMach ones) then I am fine with it

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2021

Once upon a time there was a vote where only 17% voted NO, but that minority had more money than the rest of voters, so votes don't really matter - just like in real life.

Just looked at why the other thread has been closed.

May I add Jon only discussed with one admin, not his other admin/mod team. I know why, he wouldn't have gotten the response he wanted 🤔

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@NobodyInteresting said: So...a black Friday thread from last year, full of "your junk has been doubled" is not considered off-topic, but if its coming from a different provider - it is? :confusion:

Cases like this will occur as we work towards a singular application of policy on threads and community engagement.

@stevewatson301 said: Can you confirm jbiloh has actually unsunk the thread? Looking at the posting timestamps of the Virmach thread and comparing them with the thread homepage, I don't think he has done it.

The thread was unsunk when I advised so yesterday.

@Jord said: Hang on, so the thread Jon created to get everyone's opinions on is now closed? Is that because he didn't like the people's opinion? The very people who give him views and hits on his ads.

I commented specifically laying out the position of LowEndTalk on that thread twice. As mentioned in the thread we will continually evaluate the current policy and make adjustments as needed. The feedback received from all community members (users, moderators, etc) has been and will continue to be considered.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited September 2021

Wdym I love seeing 6 to 7 dustin threads in the top 10, just cause dustin decided to reply to all of them at the same time /s

• @vovler said:
    Wdym I love seeing 6 to 7 dustin threads in the top 10, just cause dustin decided to reply to all of them at the same time /s

Plot twist: is it possible to revive all his threads, and make the first page of LET entirely about him?

Thanked by 3Edmond WSWD skorupion
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

i feel like maybe the provider's most recent thread should be the only one that you can bump

• @bruh21 said:
    i feel like maybe the provider's most recent thread should be the only one that you can bump

The best solution is in that poll: start sinking after 7 days, but He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is a featured and special provider, therefore mortal rules (like bumping, necro, sinking) don't apply to him.

Thanked by 1WSWD
    edited September 2021

@default said:

@bruh21 said:

The best solution is in that poll: start sinking after 7 days, but He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is a featured and special provider, therefore mortal rules (like bumping, necro, sinking) don't apply to him.

See, i guess it comes down to how much @jbiloh wants to sell on here.

Hetzner has their 'talk' thread, right? so allow providers to have just 1 like that. Want certain providers to feel special? Super limited amount of 'pinned threads', 1 per parent corporation for $XXX/month.

Parent corp is important so we don't get 'wootrack', 'alphanerd', and 'racknerd' each with their own pinned threads.

Maybe he won't sell many, but even if he just sells 2 -3 spots for $150/month/ea, he'll make more than stuffing home brands into the ad spots.

I think Hetzners chat thread is a great idea. Allow that to be bumped, the offer threads all sink. Want to do it for free to really promote talk on here? Awesome. Want to make some cash and sell it as pins? Fine. Want to do both? Even better probably.

Francisco

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Lots of excellent proposals here!

• @default said:

@vovler said:

Plot twist: is it possible to revive all his threads, and make the first page of LET entirely about him?

But would the admins sink those threads though is the question…. Probably not.

• Give an option to every forum user obliterate/hide/remove a post from their view forever - any new comment etc on that doesn't really matter (even a direct reply to the user which will anyway will turn up in their notification)
    • Do not give old posts same weightage as active/recent posts
    • Limit active offer posts by a user to very nice number 1 (provider, or anything)
    • More importantly - have sections (not just tags in the one section): OFFERS, OFF-TOPIC, CHIT-CHAT, BS, INTIMATE, SWEET-NOTHINGS, whatever.
    • Let a user decide what will on their home/front page - you can always override that for notice/announcements
    • Charging some token or reasonable amount from offer posters maybe?

There are forum softwares already for this I guess - some of them are FOSS.

@jbiloh said: Maybe you'll reconsider in the future then. Ad revenue is critical to supporting everything that goes into our community.

Hey, what about removing tracking and invasive elements from the ads? Ads are never good but the most of the issues don't come from the ads itself but the tracking behind it.

@Francisco said: If you want this place to be a spam fest of 'thanks have some bandwidth' and crap

Thanks for saying that.

I always looked at those decades old (hyperbole) threads suddenly on the front page (sometimes for days and weeks) thinking ah looks like there's offer update only to find out people are talking about their cats, hamsters, and weather in an imaginary location inside a FPS game aka spam/crap.