Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Country discrimination?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Country discrimination?

hzhoangleehzhoanglee Member
edited July 2021 in General

I'm currently living in Vietnam and I don't know why people here always having struggle signing up online services.
I and many others cannot register for Vu**r, Digi*** **ean, Lin**de because they declined or deactivated our accounts like immediately.
And my orders sometimes were marked as fraud even when there is no issue.
Is that something normal or strange?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It’s maxmind. They successfully harmed the huge amount of fraud coming from the country all those years ago but there hasn’t been enough damage to real orders overall to justify a similar push back in the other direction.

• I also have problems with some providers that mark it as fraud because I live in Brazil. I already have a copy of my saved documents to send and activate the account

Thanked by 1truweb
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

It is not country discrimination, it is fraud malicious activity (SPAM, hack, carding) prevention. Unfortunately, sometimes too much fraud come from some country and providers just required to stop it by disallowing access to registration.

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

It's not just Vietnamese being impacted. Huge amounts of fraud coming from China and some South American countries as well.

Sometimes it's easier and worth it to just block 100% of the orders from those countries even if it means that the 20% of 'legit, not going to be a massive headache' type of customers get turned away.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You're probably out of luck at big players like Vultr, DO, and Linode (I successfully guessed your missing letter puzzle).

But if you were to reach out to providers here, I bet you'd get the personalized attention you need to get past any fraud checks.

• hnzlethnzlet Member
    edited July 2021

If you live in a country that is the target of sanctions (say, Iran) then I think there could be some legally-mandated "country discrimination" that's happening. But I don't think there's anything like that for Vietnam.

Otherwise, as others have said, it's a response by the individual companies to high levels of fraud or abusive usage of their services from that country. Which sucks if you are a legitimate user from one of those countries, but is somewhat understandable from the provider's point of view. As raindog said, you may have luck with smaller providers, especially ones you reach out to on here.

• netguynetguy Member

@jar said: It’s maxmind.

Maxmind is stupid.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Maxmind is useful.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, Paypal allows me to use a VPN lets say in Russia or Kasachstan, to make Payments, works flawless while my Bank tells me to go fuck myself, reasonable.

I moved a few times, so, I got a bunch of addresses in Paypal, can just pay with them, no one cares.

The Maxmind Fraudsystem is just not worth the paper its printed on.
    TLDR: Just get a Paypal account.

• Maxmind offends the delicate sensibilities of a billion Chinese.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Maxmind, like any other tool, is worth the effort you put into it. It helps me a lot, but I also train it.

• mikecmikec Member

It is for the protection of your site from fraud.

Some fraud analysis add-on such as FraudLabs Pro supports whitelist of countries.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, maxmind.
    If there is only the country issue, I activate it.