Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you recommend any cheap VPS in Australia?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can you recommend any cheap VPS in Australia?

DrDirectorDrDirector Member
edited June 2021 in Requests

Hi.

I have got a multiplayer server for some old game. I created an unique relay-servers network: In case when players are unable to connect with each other by the direct connection or NAT, they get connected using the closest (or the the next in order) relay server. I currently have got a few servers in Europe and one in the USA. I think it would be nice to add a new server for Australian players (for Asia too, but not so many donations come from that region, so it's a low priority, lol). This is to reduce their ping. When the traffic is routed by Europe, they get like ~300ms+ while they could have ~50ms.

What I need is:

• KVM or OVZ node anywhere in Australia.
  • Yearly payments preferred.
  • 512MiB RAM (just for Ubuntu Server + 1 optimized C++ program, maybe even less would fit).
  • 10GB SSD.
  • Private IPv4 IP, with non-blocked UDP ports (the relay sever uses a random port).
  • 100Mb/s speed.
  • 50-100GB monthly bandwidth (probably even less would be used).

And... the price should be ~15 USD per year, but of course I would consider other offers. I know it's very low, but I got hostodo (and few others in the past) for less, with a better performance, so I suppose lowendtalk is the right place to ask :)

If there's no possibility for such VPS in Australia, then maybe someone could please recommend me something with the similar specification in Asia, near Australia? Like China, Taiwan, Indonesia, whatever is the most stable.

Greetings!

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited June 2021

@seriesn might have something up his sleeves - if he's not wearing sleeveless today.

• cazrzcazrz Member

binarylane

• bdlbdl Member

15USD/yr?

• @hosthatch during promos

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited June 2021

@thedp said:
    @seriesn might have something up his sleeves - if he's not wearing sleeveless today.

It is too hot down there. Went with sleeveless and shorts. Budget is a bit tight though :( But for double the resource and double the $ @DrDirector we can for sure work something out ;)

• edited June 2021

good luck with that price, try looking at singapore providers. still not cheap, but much cheaper than australia. latency wise, higher than local australian servers, but still lower than europe/us.

• Binarylane is about as cheap as it gets. Do note that their website shows the prices in Australian pesos, not American.

• Thanks for the replies!

I know that the budget is tight, but for years I used to have cheap VPS from random promos (like Arubacloud in good times for 1$ per month), so I'm used to it :)

I need to explain why I don't want to go too high with the budget:

• The Multiplayer server has at max 50 players online at the same time, but usually ~30 at the "best hours".
    • Australia is most active at European morning hours, and it's around 6 players max per day (sometimes less, sometimes more).
    • Not all of these players are behind Symmetric NAT that would need the relay-server for connection.
    • The game uses maybe 15MiB of transfer for 1 hour playing. So the usage is very, very low.

I am already paying for:

• Dedicated, higher performance server (that hosts the website, databases, main multiplayer features and many other things).
    • A storage VPS for frequent backups (even thought I never had problems with data loss, the full archives of everything are done every 12 hours). This one is also used as a relay server.
    • Few more cheap VPS, usually from the Black Friday promos that help to reduce pings.

You can imagine the number of donations in such a small community. Whenever I get something, I'm trying to invest in making it better. However, I'm not a Santa Claus to pay more than it can cover itself :) It's my hobby, but everything has the limits.

If the cheap VPS are not possible in Australia, then I guess we could go for Asia. Can you guys please recommend any "Singapore providers" that are as cheap as possible? It doesn't need to be purchased soon, I can wait for the next promos, just need to know what to search for :)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited June 2021

@DrDirector said:

• 512MiB RAM (just for Ubuntu Server + 1 optimized C++ program, maybe even less would fit).
    • 10GB SSD.
    • Private IPv4 IP, with non-blocked UDP ports (the relay sever uses a random port).
    • 100Mb/s speed.

If you can change the program to work within 20 ports and less RAM/SSD, microLXC has a free container for you in Australia.

@seriesn said:

@thedp said:

It is too hot down there. Went with sleeveless and shorts. Budget is a bit tight though :( But for double the resource and double the $ @DrDirector we can for sure work something out ;)

Wait, PremiumBytes is coming to Australia?
    It would be your fourth continent, with three left to conquer.

Thanked by 2seriesn DrDirector
  • KangarooCunts.com

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @yoursunny said:

@DrDirector said:

• 10GB SSD.
    • 100Mb/s speed.

If you can change the program to work within 20 ports and less RAM/SSD, microLXC has a free container for you in Australia.

@seriesn said:

@thedp said:

Wait, PremiumBytes is coming to Australia?
    It would be your fourth continent, with three left to conquer.

Waiting on some stars to align but we plan to be there soon :)

• @yoursunny said:

That's actually pretty interesting! I have my C++ program communicating with a PHP script where I can setup whatever I like for ports binding. I guess I could just set up a different ports range for the Australian relay server, and instead of selecting a random port, just use the next one in order. Thanks for sharing this information.

Do you know which ports exactly they give me?

• @DrDirector said:
    If the cheap VPS are not possible in Australia, then I guess we could go for Asia. Can you guys please recommend any "Singapore providers" that are as cheap as possible? It doesn't need to be purchased soon, I can wait for the next promos, just need to know what to search for :)

Alibaba Cloud & Vultr, it's around 2.5$/mo. Maybe others know providers lower than that price.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited June 2021

@DrDirector said:

@yoursunny said:

That's actually pretty interesting! I have my C++ program communicating with a PHP script where I can setup whatever I like for ports binding. I guess I could just set up a different ports range for the Australian relay server, and instead of selecting a random port, just use the next one in order. Thanks for sharing this information.

Do you know which ports exactly they give me?

It's an NAT service where you get 20 ports forwarded to your container.
    You will know the ports after the container is deployed.

UDP flow is identified by (srcIP, srcPort, dstIP, dstPort).
    If you use SO_REUSEPORT socket option, you can even use only one local port to communicate with all the players.
    In this case, you can bind() on that local port, then connect() to the remote IP,port so that any datagram from that remote IP,port arrives at this socket; incoming datagrams not matching any connect()-ed socket are dispatched to a socket that you only bind() but did not connect().

Since the client could be behind NAT, and you are behind NAT too, each NAT could manipulate source port.
    It's best to let the client send the first packet.
    Your program will receive the datagram on the non-connect() socket, and you can match it to the player by IP only.
    Afterwards, you can make a new socket and connect() it, and use the new socket to communicate with the player.

• quantumcore?
    @QuantumCore

It may be suitable for you, but I don’t know if there is a bonus activity

• Well, R.I.P. I don't meet the requirements for microlxc (50 posts, 50 likes) :D Not feeling like spamming now just to get it :)

I'll try to observe Asian VPS offers for some time and see.

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited June 2021

@QuantumCore is really good but AU$5/month for their cheapest plan (regular price, no promotion).

@BinaryLane have some for AU$4/month but in my experience their servers don't feel as fast as QuantumCore's. Their host nodes run a custom kernel build that hides the "stolen" CPU time from guests (guests just always report 0.0% steal) which makes it harder to tell how overloaded the nodes are.

@Hosthatch had some good deals recently but I'm not sure when their next sale will be. They're nearly as good as QuantumCore (although QuantumCore edges them out a bit as they have much newer, faster Xeon Gold CPUs), and very good value for money if you can get their VPSes during a sale

@nanankcornering said:
    good luck with that price, try looking at singapore providers. still not cheap, but much cheaper than australia. latency wise, higher than local australian servers, but still lower than europe/us.

It really depends on the routing. Some Australian ISPs used to route traffic to Singapore via the US because it was a cheaper route. This changed a bit after Vocus rolled out the Australia-Singapore Cable in late 2018 as it made directly routing to Singapore more feasible for more ISPs, but it looks like Telstra (AS1221) still routes via the USA in some cases, at least based on their looking glass (https://www.telstra.net/cgi-bin/trace) when I test it with Psychz's test Singapore IP (103.126.138.20).

Thanked by 1DrDirector
  • Does the Oracle free cloud meet your needs? It seems to be available in Sydney and Melbourne.
    https://www.oracle.com/au/cloud/data-regions/#apac

• @Binarylane is always my preferred provider in Australia.

• @yoursunny said: If you use SO_REUSEPORT socket option, you can even use only one local port to communicate with all the players.

This guy right here is an expert. Damn. Not even i knew that works for UDP.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @chihcherng said:
    Does the Oracle free cloud meet your needs? It seems to be available in Sydney and Melbourne.
    https://www.oracle.com/au/cloud/data-regions/#apac

I took a quick look at it, but does it provide a normal VPS features? Like installing Ubuntu Server, compiling or running a custom C++ program? They list many cloud tools, but no info about the one I need.

• @DrDirector said: I took a quick look at it, but does it provide a normal VPS features? Like installing Ubuntu Server, compiling or running a custom C++ program? They list many cloud tools, but no info about the one I need.

Yes. The instance is behind 1:1 NAT with internal IP (like AWS EC2) but aside it's a normal VPS.

In Cloud terms what you look for is a "Compute Instance".

• Checkout milesweb , siteground, vultr, Linode. They are few of the reputable names of web hosting in the industry.

• @Php_Geek said:
    Checkout milesweb , siteground, vultr, Linode. They are few of the reputable names of web hosting in the industry.

Linode's CPU speeds are absolute garbage in Sydney......

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

With $15 you could grab two 256MB NAT LXC Containers in Perth and Sydney.
    https://clients.mrvm.net/cart.php

Since they are LXC and not KVM, only user and no kernel space memory counts. A simple Debian/Ubuntu server fits on a 128MB instance, so you have 100 MB RAM available for your application.

If you don't need the full 10GB disk space, those 256MB containers come with 5GB, OS consumes less than 1GB, so you would have 4GB for your application.

Can't tell whether it's suitable for your use case. But if it is, those NAT containers are so pretty cheap, you can literally grab a bunch of them around the world.

If you intend to use them for a longer time, you can grab best prices around Black Friday.

Thanked by 2dosai DrDirector
  • QuantumCoreQuantumCore Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the recommendations @Daniel15 and @waynechris

Send me a PM. I'll see if we can work something out.

Cheers
    Harry.

• @dfroe said:

Sure, if you like to order from a "provider" who forgot to update their SSL cert since 2 days

• bdlbdl Member

@packetnext said:

@dfroe said:

Sure, if you like to order from a "provider" who forgot to update their SSL cert since 2 days

Sure, if you like to reply to a thread last posted in August 2019

• tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2021

@DrDirector said:
    What I need is:

• KVM or OVZ node anywhere in Australia.
    • Yearly payments preferred.
    • 10GB SSD.
    • 100Mb/s speed.

we will have our KVM-offerings ready in Sydney the 15th of June with all the things you require for 7EURO/year (15EURO/year with IPv4).

In the meantime you can get the service in SG or JP and we will migrate the VM, but you will have to change IPv4 address and /48 IPv6 subnet then.

Thanked by 1DrDirector
  • tetechtetech Member

@tomazu said:
    we will have our KVM-offerings ready in Sydney the 15th of June with all the things you require for 7EURO/year (15EURO/year with IPv4).

In the meantime you can get the service in SG or JP and we will migrate the VM, but you will have to change IPv4 address and /48 IPv6 subnet then.

Which DC will you use in Sydney?