Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web hosting control panel that offers Lifetime license?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web hosting control panel that offers Lifetime license?

GreenPeaceGreenPeace Member
edited March 2021 in General

The title says enough I am sure. Smart LET members will figure it out. Monthly payments gives a little bit of anxiety. If it's a reasonable price then I wouldn't mind paying the amount to own something forever. I currently have some VPS and I use different hosting control panels for them as all of them have different purposes. It would be really awesome if I could just use one for all of them maybe. So please share the name and price (if you know already) of the hosting control panel that offers a lifetime license. Thank you.

Comments

• JioJio Member

apiscp

• @Jio said:
    apiscp

Thank you I already have my eye on it but Looking for some more options.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited March 2021

License for software can be lifetime, but support for that software usually comes in periodic payments, so called renewals.

If you see software which does not charge for support, it's a massive red flag for sustainability of such business and expect deadpool or introduction of the fee in future.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

While doing my own research two or three months ago, I couldn't find anything except ApisCP. And lifetime licenses aren't even listed on their site, I only learnt about such opportunity when sale began.

I think lifetime licenses are more common for relatively unknown products, because all providers just cut them off as popularity starts getting momentum (not sure if that will the case with Blesta). So at that point you are usually unsure if it's worth buying and after lifetime licenses are gone, of course, you will be sorry.

As for deadpooling - there's no need to generalize as there are very few CP providers, so each one can be assessed separately.

• @vero said:
    While doing my own research two or three months ago, I couldn't find anything except ApisCP. And lifetime licenses aren't even listed on their site, I only learnt about such opportunity when sale began.

I think lifetime licenses are more common for relatively unknown products, because all providers just cut them off as popularity starts getting momentum (not sure if that will the case with Blesta). So at that point you are usually unsure if it's worth buying and after lifetime licenses are gone, of course, you will be sorry.

As for deadpooling - there's no need to generalize as there are very few CP providers, so each one can be assessed separately.

I can't agree more. At some point, cPanel had their Lifetime license too, and the same for Directadmin. I somewhat disagree with those people who say it's not sustainable. I own several well-known good software lifetime licenses which are still going well.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Alternatively, grab a VPS with free DA ;-)

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • Thanks for the suggestion.

• GreenPeaceGreenPeace Member
    edited March 2021

@Hassan said:

Too bad I already have a DA license now but curious to know who provides free DA with VPS.

• @GreenPeace said:

@Hassan said:

Too bad I already have a DA license now but curious to know who provides free DA with VPS.

AFAIK, BuyVm, Hostodo and US :)

Thanked by 2Hassan nyamenk
  • fbmyfbmy Member

there is no.
    only ApisCP offers license lifetime.
    I think their prospects in the future are pretty good, because there are already modules for WHMCS, Blesta, ClientExec, and following WiseCP.

@seriesn said:

@GreenPeace said:

@Hassan said:

AFAIK, BuyVm, Hostodo and US :)

Would like to mention anyNode as well

Thanked by 2nyamenk GreenPeace

@Hassan said:

It's the worst possible scenario, because not only you tie yourself to the pricing of certain CP at some provider's level, but you are completely dependant on this provider's infrastructure also. So if something goes wrong with CP developer or provider, or if something is just wrong between these two, you lose both the pricing, and the infrastructure you build your business on. This can never happen, of course, but I prefer to not gamble at this level.

@vero said:

@Hassan said:

It's the worst possible scenario, because not only you tie yourself to the pricing of certain CP at some provider's level, but you are completely dependant on this provider's infrastructure also. So if something goes wrong with CP developer or provider, or if something is just wrong between these two, you lose both the pricing, and the infrastructure you build your business on. This can never happen, of course, but I prefer to not gamble at this level.

Generally with control panels if the license is expired or invalidated it doesn't cause all websites to be downed, just the administration/user panel. So you would have some time to recover in such a case. Either way, you always want to have a disaster recovery plan, whether you have your own software license or not. I'd like to think that most professional companies would communicate any changes to free licensing far in advance to give their users time to get themselves situated. I know we would!

@Hassan said:
    I'd like to think that most professional companies would communicate any changes to free licensing far in advance to give their users time to get themselves situated.

We can think what we want, but it's best not to rely completely on a good will of provider/developer and for sure not on mixed substance produced by these two. It's like putting all eggs, including your own, in one basket.

For example - DA doesn't know anything about change communication yet some would call them professional.

I know we would!

Glad to know that. I know I would also. But some saints appear to be mfs in the end.

Thanked by 1Hassan
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

It makes sense that why they would remove lifetime license when they gain popularity.

In fact, I'd be skeptical of longevity of a control panel if they don't remove lifetime licenses. How else are they going to support themselves in the long term?

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

Late to the party. Lifetimes are a concession to spur adoption in what ends up being a fairly homogeneous market. Around 10 years ago I brought up the idea of bringing ApisCP public on the Ensim WEBppliance forums before they finally deadpooled. I can't think of a single firm that laughed at the idea that's still around.

It's tough to gain footing, so lifetimes exist for a small window to help bridge that gap to wider adoption while picking up some evangelists - as evidenced here - along the way. As adoption picks up lifetimes gradually phase out and those early adopters, many of whom grow with the product, end up with an even sweeter deal than before.

• edited March 2021

@vero said:

I think lifetime licenses are more common for relatively unknown products, because all providers just cut them off as popularity starts getting momentum (not sure if that will the case with Blesta).

@Vero you mentioned Blesta which does still offer a lifetime billing system license but it's not a control panel.

OP, are you looking for a control panel for VPS? I don't know anything about the Virtualizor (for VPS) but they do offer a lifetime license & they are owned by Softaculous which is a big fish with a solid reputation:
    https://www.virtualizor.com/docs/admin/lifetime-license

"Virtualizor is a powerful web based VPS Control Panel using which a user can deploy and manage VPS on servers with a single click. Virtualizor supports KVM, Xen, OpenVZ, Proxmox, Virtuozzo, LXC, etc with an inbuilt hourly billing system."

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@GreenPeace

I doubt that much has changed in this respect since your thread at the end of December:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/169007/whats-your-favorite-hosting-control-panel-for-vps

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2021

There's no well-known (well-tested, well-supported, reliable) control panel with a one-time attractive lifetime price that no one knows about.

Either go for one of the free panels or be ready to pay for a commercial one that fits your requirements.

There are no well-guarded secrets in this area.

• @Offshore_Solutions said:
    "Virtualizor is a powerful web based VPS Control Panel using which a user can deploy and manage VPS on servers with a single click. Virtualizor supports KVM, Xen, OpenVZ, Proxmox, Virtuozzo, LXC, etc with an inbuilt hourly billing system."

Virtualizor life time licenses are bound to a single servers life!

A LIFETIME License is valid till the Life of Server / Node Hardware and cannot be used on another server / Node. The license dies with the server hardware. In the event you sell the hardware, the license will also be transferred to the new owner. For the purpose of the LIFETIME License, the life of the hardware would be considered as the life of the Motherboard of the server. If the Motherboard is replaced or becomes non-functional, the LIFETIME Virtualizor License will be considered to have rendered useless.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • I found Zeslecp that offers a lifetime license. If anybody has any experience please shed some light on it.

• edited March 2021

@niceboy said:

@Offshore_Solutions said:

A LIFETIME License is valid till the Life of Server / Node Hardware and cannot be used on another server / Node. The license dies with the server hardware. In the event you sell the hardware, the license will also be transferred to the new owner. For the purpose of the LIFETIME License, the life of the hardware would be considered as the life of the Motherboard of the server. If the Motherboard is replaced or becomes non-functional, the LIFETIME Virtualizor License will be considered to have rendered useless.

Thanks for discovering this. Doesn't seem very clear to call this "Lifetime" when most would assume a human's Lifetime.

How could they keep track that you didn't replace your motherboard? Do you suppose the software logs a change in serial numbers between motherboards?

@GreenPeace said:
    I found Zeslecp that offers a lifetime license. If anybody has any experience please shed some light on it.

They state, that "We've created the fastest, easiest, and most secure control panel" - looks like you can trust it. Lifetime license includes updates for 2 years. I suspect they are about to think up price for updates yet. When someone buys that license.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @vero said:

@GreenPeace said:
    I found Zeslecp that offers a lifetime license. If anybody has any experience please shed some light on it.

They state, that "We've created the fastest, easiest, and most secure control panel" - looks like you can trust it. Lifetime license includes updates for 2 years. I suspect they are about to think up price for updates yet. When someone buys that license.

I don't think a statement like that to promote their product is a crime. I don't know about them that's why I asked others to share the experience.

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

@niceboy said:

@Offshore_Solutions said:

Thanks for discovering this. Doesn't seem very clear to call this "Lifetime" when most would assume a human's Lifetime.

How could they keep track that you didn't replace your motherboard? Do you suppose the software logs a change in serial numbers between motherboards?

The only way I see is to keep an automated log. Everything looks fine but I never know how long am I going to stay on one server for how long. So that will not work for me at least.

@GreenPeace said:
    I don't think a statement like that to promote their product is a crime.

It is. At least in the EU. Direct comparison of similar products under identical conditions must be made to make any similar statements legit.

• @vero said:

@GreenPeace said:
    I don't think a statement like that to promote their product is a crime.

It is. At least in the EU. Direct comparison of similar products under identical conditions must be made to make any similar statements legit.

Just looked it up. They are a Canadian company, I guess they will be fine. As long as they are not comparing it with any other registered business or their product, they should be fine in Canada.

@GreenPeace said:
    they should be fine in Canada.

I'm also happy for them.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2021

@Jio said:
    apiscp

If only they would update their panel UI and file manager to be a bit more modern :( You can't even right click on the files in the file manager. Maybe in the future this will be done just like how directadmin released their new theme and got very popular