Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google is down. 2020.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google is down. 2020.

Even Google couldn't escape the wrath of 2020.
Don't worry, your account is not deleted, and you data is, probably, safe.
Just wait it out.

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2020

Google deadpool imminent!
    I'm moving to:

• Chrome => Firefox
    • Gmail => MXroute
    • Maps => OpenStreetMap
    • Drive => Dropbox
    • Photos => Nextcloud
    • YouTube => VCR tape
    • Music => iPod
    • Search => library
    • Calendar => paper calendar on the wall
    • Voice => landline telephone
    • Talk => United States Postal Service
    • Meet => shouting through the window
    • Android => snake on Nokia 8210
    • Chromebook => RadioShack
    • Cloud => ColonCrossing
    • Fiber => Ethernet cord
  • @yoursunny said: snake on Nokia 8210

I like space impact on 3310.

• codelockcodelock Member
    edited December 2020

So internet is more dependent on cloudflare than google

• @yoursunny said:
    I'm moving to:

• Chrome => Firefox
    • Gmail => MXroute
    • Maps => OpenStreetMap
    • Drive => Dropbox
    • Photos => Nextcloud
    • Search => library

Seriously, I thought that I deleted my account by doing something. But, a couple of minutes later, I thought it to be a blessing in disguise. Exported Passwords and Bookmarks from the browser, and started thinking about alternatives to Google (data collection) services.

Already using Firefox, Bitwarden, Sync, some Vivaldi services, (physical) Storage for data backups.

But no, it was Google, not me.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited December 2020

@yoursunny said:

I'm moving to:

• Chrome => Firefox
    • Gmail => MXroute
    • Maps => OpenStreetMap
    • Drive => Dropbox
    • Photos => Nextcloud
    • Youtube => VCR tape
    • Search => library

It's nice, but a lot of people bounded to google services. I know a lot who use the calendar regularly, the same as many other services because they help them do their business.

Why TikTok has so powerful and stable infrastructure...

@desperand said:
    It's nice, but a lot of people bounded to google services. I know a lot who use the calendar regularly, the same as many other services because they help them do their business.

I write my plans on the wall calendar.
    Others can schedule meeting with me by sending me a letter via United States Postal Services. Due to social distancing measures, we can't have meetings in person, but I'll do my best to shout out the window.

• @desperand said:

@yoursunny said:

I'm moving to:

• Chrome => Firefox
    • Gmail => MXroute
    • Maps => OpenStreetMap
    • Drive => Dropbox
    • Photos => Nextcloud
    • Youtube => VCR tape
    • Search => library

Why TikTok has so powerful and stable infrastructure...

TikTok just shows you random videos. You wouldn't even know if half their data disappeared because they would just show you the other half 🤣

• Google should have snagged some of the 10T storage deals from HH.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited December 2020

MS said:
    Even Google couldn't escape the wrath of 2020.

How dare you saying that? Don't you know that our data are so much more safe in the cloud (trumpet sounds)? And no, the fact that people sat in dark cold houses because they are lobotomized trusting Google, THE internet and cloud behemoth, does not change the fact that the cloud will save us! Praised be the cloud! Hail the cloud! Bow to the censor Google!

Amen

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said: Drive => Dropbox

definably wrong choice, as Dropbox was popular in 2016 for their security breach:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/31/dropbox-hack-passwords-68m-data-breach

after such lovely issue, why not to host your files somewhere with unlimited storage like 1&1 shared hosting and secure folder with password and share the access details on every forum as effect will be exactly the same.

• jokotanjokotan Member
    edited December 2020

visited this thread to see that this evil down forever... unfortunately not

Search => library

i recommend searx as alternative or something from this list https://privacytoolslist.com/#alternative-search-engines

@WebProject said:

@yoursunny said: Drive => Dropbox

definably wrong choice, as Dropbox was popular in 2016 for their security breach:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/31/dropbox-hack-passwords-68m-data-breach

after such lovely issue, why not to host your files somewhere with unlimited storage like 1&1 shared hosting and secure folder with password and share the access details on every forum as effect will be exactly the same.

I use Google Drive for collaborative editing.
    Dropbox has the same feature, with the editor being Microsoft Office Online.

Shared hosting (FTP) and Nextcloud don't support realtime collaborative editing.
    Only one user can edit, and other users must wait.

Overleaf is another choice, but it's LaTeX only. Making slides with LaTeX is a pita.

• Only thing I'd miss from google is probably youtube. But even then someone else would step up if that went away so...good riddance.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@bolle said: maybe has got to do something with this

https://www.cisa.gov/news/2020/12/13/cisa-issues-emergency-directive-mitigate-compromise-solarwinds-orion-network

I highly doubt Google runs SolarWinds. They have fleets of PhDs to write their own custom monitoring suite.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

It was so bad, right at bed time too. I actually had to go to sleep.

Thanked by 1raindog308

@serv_ee said:
    Only thing I'd miss from google is probably youtube. But even then someone else would step up if that went away so...good riddance.

You meant the oppressive censorship giant run by a [self censored] polish woman and her "fact-checker" gestapo where the relentless and obtrusive advertisement spamming forced upon viewers is occasionally interrupted by content?

Thanks No.

• @jsg said:

@serv_ee said:
    Only thing I'd miss from google is probably youtube. But even then someone else would step up if that went away so...good riddance.

You meant the oppressive censorship giant run by a [self censored] polish woman and her "fact-checker" gestapo where the relentless and obtrusive advertisement spamming forced upon viewers is occasionally interrupted by content?

Thanks No.

Have you heard about floatplane or YouTube vanced or even ublock origin

• @WebProject said: 1&1 shared hosting

Bite me.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said: You meant the oppressive censorship giant run by a [self censored] polish woman and her "fact-checker" gestapo where the relentless and obtrusive advertisement spamming forced upon viewers is occasionally interrupted by content?

I actually pay for YouTube Premium.

I watch far more YouTube than any other streaming service. In fact, I can't think of the last time I watched any other streaming service...well, that you can subscribe to...

From tech talks to interesting indy shows to great sermons to educational programs to trying to figure out how to get the $#@$@#$! cover off my lawnmower's carburetor to a hundred other things, I find YouTube the only thing on the web worth watching. Not Google's own content, of course - that's trash. Premium also allows for downloads which I find very useful. Yes, I could youtube-dl, sync, etc.

Thanked by 2TimboJones vimalware

@raindog308 said:

@jsg said: You meant the oppressive censorship giant run by a [self censored] polish woman and her "fact-checker" gestapo where the relentless and obtrusive advertisement spamming forced upon viewers is occasionally interrupted by content?

I watch far more YouTube than any other streaming service. In fact, I can't think of the last time I watched any other streaming service...well, that you can subscribe to...

From tech talks to interesting indy shows to great sermons to educational programs to trying to figure out how to get the $#@$@#$! cover off my lawnmower's carburetor to a hundred other things, I find YouTube the only thing on the web worth watching. Not Google's own content, of course - that's trash. Premium also allows for downloads which I find very useful. Yes, I could youtube-dl, sync, etc.

I was considering that because, as you correctly state, there is lots of good content - BUT: I will not, under no circumstances, pay for getting to see only what the youtube "fact-checker" gestapo deems acceptable. I will also not pay because that would give a very bad message to youtube that is, the message that blackmailing ("pay up or get drowned in obtrusive forced upon you without an escape advertisements") is acceptable. And I will not pay because while I could, hundres of millions of people can not afford those $100 to $150 per year.

Well noted, I understand that Google/youtube provides an (originally) attractive service and that they somehow need to cover the cost; I'm even not against them making some profit - but I very strongly dislike their lies and that in fact youtube is nothing but a money machine for them and both, creators and viewers are but cattle whose work and views can be and are turned into profit. To make it even worse that CEO b_tch on top of seeing and treating us like cattle also sh_ts on the constitution (e.g. free speech) and lets her gestapo checkers loose on the creators.

I remember the times when they inserted ad banners and I didn't complain because I understood them to be adequate "payment" so that they can cover their cost and earn something on top. But today most videos are interrupted by what I perceive as rape, by 5 - 30(!) second full page ads, often multiple times and also often 2 or even 3 in a row. The reason is not that they need to recovers their cost and not even that they want to make some profit. The reason is sheer greed, the reason is that one billion in profit isn't enough and the reason is that they regard us as nothing but cattle to be milked to the maximum. And on top of that they sh_t on the constitution and have their gestapo censor what we may or may not see.

It's about time to break and crash the silicon valley giants and to make them - preferably in a harsh and painful way - respect the constitution and the fact that we are humans and neither cattle nor the product.

Thanked by 2default bolle
  • @jsg said:

@serv_ee said:

Thanks No.

I only watch a handful of channels to begin with that are purely entertainment. With ublock. So I cant care less how Alphabet runs it.

• Yes YouTube should shut down for a week. That will teach them how much Google needs us. /s

Thanked by 2default Ouji
  • I have to use some youtube tools skip ad, it is working now. who creat new like youtube.

• @raindog308 said:

In india you can download stuff for free I still can't believe YouTube charges for that even when that's locked to 720p for downloads.
    For indian there is really no point of paying for premium as YouTube vanced does everything that YouTube premium offers here minus the YouTube red(original?) Stuff. Also the vanced update also introduced sponsor block and is life changing not needing to double tap on every intro.it auto skips intros sponsor message etc.

edited December 2020

@jokotan said:

Search => library

You need to learn to use the index cards and microfilms.

i recommend searx as alternative or something from this list https://privacytoolslist.com/#alternative-search-engines

My website has been getting traffic from https://duckduckgo.com/ these years, but I can't see the keywords being searched.
    I haven't seen any traffic from the other search engines.

• @jsg said:
    I was considering that because, as you correctly state, there is lots of good content - BUT: I will not, under no circumstances, pay for getting to see only what the youtube...

maybe Nebula? or Curiosity Stream?

• @yoursunny said:

@jokotan said:

Search => library

You need to learn to use the index cards and microfilms.

My website has been getting traffic from https://duckduckgo.com/ these years, but I can't see the keywords being searched.

DuckDuckGo becomes more popular because of it's theoretical anonymity. As this search engine grows in popularity, one day it will end with DuckDuckGo being bought by some corporation. While enjoying it, we must also think of our privacy; and it's not like we may have something to hide, it's the principle of intimacy.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

I was on motorbike, searching for Filling Station while Google got down. I was trying Maps but it wasn't working. Then, I posted in FaceBook for help (about where I can find filling station nearby) & friends helped promptly.

• You need to learn to use the index cards and microfilms.

no need to exaggerate.
    It's easy enough to use alternatives not from evil corporations

I agree that many people do not want to observe information hygiene. But when we talk about searx then it's not a single website, it's good amount of decentralized websites. Don't expect traffic from one domain.

DuckDuckGo is not so private how is it advertised.