Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google is down. 2020. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google is down. 2020.

2»

Comments

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    I was on motorbike, searching for Filling Station while Google got down. I was trying Maps but it wasn't working. Then, I posted in FaceBook for help (about where I can find filling station nearby) & friends helped promptly.

For some reason, I think texting and driving on a motorcycle is worse than in a car. Could just be that I think getting hurt on motorcycle is inevitable.

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited December 2020

More convenient options.

Chrome => Edge/Brave
    Gmail => Office 365
    Maps => Google Maps (Bings if you live in US, Yandex if you live in Russia)
    Drive => OneDrive
    Photos => Google Photos (the AI feature is really useful)
    YouTube => Youtube
    Music => Deezer
    Search => Google/Bing
    Calendar => Microsoft Calendar
    Android => Android
    Chromebook => Windows
    Server => Vultr/DigitalOcean

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2020

@CUTA said:

More convenient options.

Chrome => Edge/Brave

Edge and Brave both use Chromium engine. If Google deadpools, it's gone.

Gmail => Office 365

Office 365 drops incoming email from most sources. Are you willing to lose business when customers are using crappy mail provider?

YouTube => Youtube
    Search => Google/Bing
    Android => Android

These (except Bing and Yandex) would cease when Google deadpools.

Chromebook => Windows

Where's the source code?

Too expensive.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@yoursunny said: Search => Google/Bing

These would cease when Google deadpools.

Bing would not cease when Google deadpools.

Er...actually maybe it would.

• @yoursunny said: Edge and Brave both use Chromium engine. If Google deadpools, it's gone.

Isn't Chromium open source?

@yoursunny said: Office 365 drops incoming email from most sources.

True. Office 365 / Hotmail even mark their own official communications as spam.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    I was on motorbike, searching for Filling Station while Google got down. I was trying Maps but it wasn't working. Then, I posted in FaceBook for help (about where I can find filling station nearby) & friends helped promptly.

For some reason, I think texting and driving on a motorcycle is worse than in a car. Could just be that I think getting hurt on motorcycle is inevitable.

No, I was not doing simultaneously. I stopped by a side & was checking on mobile.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@saibal said:

@yoursunny said: Edge and Brave both use Chromium engine. If Google deadpools, it's gone.

Chromium and Android and React and Ubuntu and CentOS are all open source, but without the company behind them, they will be dead.

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited December 2020

@yoursunny said:

@CUTA said:

More convenient options.

Chrome => Edge/Brave

Edge and Brave both use Chromium engine. If Google deadpools, it's gone.

Gmail => Office 365

Office 365 drops incoming email from most sources. Are you willing to lose business when customers are using crappy mail provider?

YouTube => Youtube
    Search => Google/Bing
    Android => Android

These (except Bing and Yandex) would cease when Google deadpools.

Chromebook => Windows

Where's the source code?

Too expensive.

Chromium is an open source project. So if Google is gone, the community will continue it. It's unlikely to go anywhere as people had invested a lot of time, and effort on Chromium project. Office 365 has no problem at all as I have been using it for a while, but if you didn't configure your SPF, DKIM, and DMARC settings, then emails are more likely to be rejected. It's okay for me, because I don't want to deal with people who don't find time to configure their mail server properly. If they can't use a custom mail server, they should use at least a free one like Gmail. Besides with Office 365, you get a load of cool features like 1TB Space, Office applications, etc... It's not just a mail account.

Yeah I understand about that, but there is no better option than Google when it comes to Maps, Photos, and youtube. US, and maybe western europe can use Bing Maps, or even Apple maps, but for my country nothing works better than Google Maps. Photos feature is not very important, but convenient to use. What I like in Photos app is how it automatically categorizes people, and pets. So if you want to find a photo of a particular person/animal quickly, it's really convenient. Recently I was thinking if I only could take more photos of our dead family dog, then I checked google photos, and found Google photos app automatically categorized his pics. I was shocked to see some of his old photos that I didn't even remember exist. So I am glad for this feature very much. I am sure you will too one day when some of your loved ones passed away.

I can move to Bing if Google dead today. Windows is much more better than Chromebook. Chromebook is good for college students who want to do their assignments. It's not good for professionals, and even for programmers. Vultr has $3.5 plan (IPv4). If you can't afford $3.5 per month, then you should start from a shared hosting, because cheap VPS more likely to have problems, like privacy issues, technical issues etc.. not worth the hassle. I admit there can be a lot of cheap options in this site, but I don't trust them for business related works. Good for experimenting, development works, and for other trivial works. I know some providers can find this mindset offensive, but it's hard to trust people nowadays. This is why I always go for services from trusted companies, like Microsoft, Google, DigitalOcean, Vultr, Linode, Namecheap, Amazon (like AWS, and Lightsail) etc.. yeah it can be a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. It's okay to be somewhat small as long as they have an established company for long time. This is why it's important for people to register their business as a company instead of doing it as a single person, because with the registration, you are committed to it.

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@TimboJones said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

No, I was not doing simultaneously. I stopped by a side & was checking on mobile.

Oh, then mentioning your bike was irrelevant and nobody should have cared what vehicle you were in.

• @yoursunny said:

@saibal said:

@yoursunny said: Edge and Brave both use Chromium engine. If Google deadpools, it's gone.

Chromium and Android and React and Ubuntu and CentOS are all open source, but without the company behind them, they will be dead.

whoosh

You might want to look into a very popular reason for open source...

You say such contrary things that I sometimes wonder if two people are posting as you.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@TimboJones said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Oh, then mentioning your bike was irrelevant and nobody should have cared what vehicle you were in.

Ha ha, I actually depicted the situation how Google impacted on me while it was down 🤣

• A more appropriate thread title: Google is down. Down with Google!

Thanked by 1jsg