Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 41
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• We really need a better backup solution. A bit crazy that incremental backup is not an option in 2020

JetBackup is buggy and doesnt support CentOS8 - and their forever EDGE/BETA mode is not positive.

Have tried all plugins available on the internet, but we really need something from DirectAdmin themself.

• @lowprofile said:
    We really need a better backup solution. A bit crazy that incremental backup is not an option in 2020

What about R1Soft?

http://wiki.r1soft.com/display/CDP3/CDP+for+Hosting+Control+Panels

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

@lowprofile said:
    We really need a better backup solution. A bit crazy that incremental backup is not an option in 2020

JetBackup is buggy and doesnt support CentOS8 - and their forever EDGE/BETA mode is not positive.

Have tried all plugins available on the internet, but we really need something from DirectAdmin themself.

JetBackup supports centos8 now

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

I’m not the biggest fan of the new file manager interface... I wish there was an easy option to flip back to the old version.

• Is there any way to seamlessly import a CPanel backup into DA?

Context: I have a BuyShared reseller account to host 3-5 domains (almost all self-owned), which I have set up as one domain per account. The websites are basically placeholders that are almost never touched. With CPanel again raising their price, I think the cost will be double what I was paying just a couple years ago.

• team_traitorteam_traitor Member
    edited October 2020

2 factor authentication or just email security code every login. Make sure to add remember me on this computer.

• @user123 said:
    Is there any way to seamlessly import a CPanel backup into DA?

Context: I have a BuyShared reseller account to host 3-5 domains (almost all self-owned), which I have set up as one domain per account. The websites are basically placeholders that are almost never touched. With CPanel again raising their price, I think the cost will be double what I was paying just a couple years ago.

Yeap. You do need the host to help you though. It is super seamless and Fran is a pro :)

@wdmg said:
    I’m not the biggest fan of the new file manager interface... I wish there was an easy option to flip back to the old version.

Ayee agreed. Its huge.

Thanked by 2user123 wdmg

Give @DA_Mark some feedback on file manager....

• @hostworkz said:

@lowprofile said:

What about R1Soft?

http://wiki.r1soft.com/display/CDP3/CDP+for+Hosting+Control+Panels

Do they have DA plugin as well? i cant see any pricing as well. Seems like their business is sold and changing their business model as well...> @experttechit said:

@lowprofile said:

JetBackup supports centos8 now

Well it will take them atleast 2 months before releasing BETA. And then 6-7 months more...

• @lowprofile said:

Hello lowprofile,

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with JetBackup in its current state.

We are proud to say JetBackup 5 does support CentOS 8 and was pushed to the EDGE tier v5.0.26. For more information feel free to visit our documentation here: https://docs.jetbackup.com/v5.0/adminpanel/generalInformation.html. We are still working to add and implement several major features into the EDGE version before moving JetBackup 5 into a BETA/STABLE tier.

With that said, based on our current development roadmap, we're anticipating STABLE in 6-9 months while we develop several multi-faceted feature milestones for our new, faster core. These milestones include universal S3 destination support, Incremental Backups on Object Storage, JetBackup 4 to JetBackup 5 migration tools, plugin capabilities, and expanded cross-compatibility for many popular hosting environments!

Best Regards,

JetApps Team.

• @JetApps said:

@lowprofile said:

Hello lowprofile,

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with JetBackup in its current state.

We are proud to say JetBackup 5 does support CentOS 8 and was pushed to the EDGE tier v5.0.26. For more information feel free to visit our documentation here: https://docs.jetbackup.com/v5.0/adminpanel/generalInformation.html. We are still working to add and implement several major features into the EDGE version before moving JetBackup 5 into a BETA/STABLE tier.

With that said, based on our current development roadmap, we're anticipating STABLE in 6-9 months while we develop several multi-faceted feature milestones for our new, faster core. These milestones include universal S3 destination support, Incremental Backups on Object Storage, JetBackup 4 to JetBackup 5 migration tools, plugin capabilities, and expanded cross-compatibility for many popular hosting environments!

Best Regards,

JetApps Team.

I know you guys do it with all your good intentions but sometimes is better to have something up-to-date (Centos 8 support, DirectAdmin support) stable and then wait for major updates than waiting 6-9 months for a lot of features. Sometimes less is more.

Thanked by 1lowprofile
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited October 2020

@AlwaysSkint said:
    LMFTFY

@kang28ivan said: .. Windoze lusers who are too lazy to use putty

Linux=open a terminal, ssh with keys, done.

Managing multiple client with each different key is a hassle. Even in Linux.

That's why you have a panel to help you out.

It's the same case with phpmyadmin sso. So you don't have to remember / saving password for each database for each of your client.

• @MechanicWeb said:

@experttechit said: i was hoping they would do something......

In their defense, they are growing.

And when you are growing, it is difficult to make a platform change like that.

What I suggest is based on my experience with cPanel and a few other control panels before that. They might not like things work like cPanel and have a different approach.

It's just that it is taking longer than some of us would have preferred.

It's not like you are going to install directadmin every day.

Maybe a better approach is using docker?

• @desfire said:

@JetApps said:

@lowprofile said:

Hello lowprofile,

Best Regards,

JetApps Team.

I know you guys do it with all your good intentions but sometimes is better to have something up-to-date (Centos 8 support, DirectAdmin support) stable and then wait for major updates than waiting 6-9 months for a lot of features. Sometimes less is more.

Hello desfire,

We deemed it best to stay in EDGE tier while we rapidly build out new features and push them from ALPHA. We want to mention that there is a notable amount of detail going on behind the scenes. We're a company that strives for perfection when developing secure, reliable, and cutting-edge backup technology for the web hosting industry. We establish a well-defined set of criteria for a version before releasing it into the stable tier to achieve the smallest amounts of bugs and implement the most amount of new features as possible.

With that said, we would like to take a more incremental approach to our development life-cycle going forward. Now that JetBackup 5 has hit some milestones internally, we have decided to release an earlier BETA version that encompasses rigorously tested features, while keeping other/future features on EDGE.

Best Regards,
    JetApps Team.

• @yokowasis said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    LMFTFY

What? It's one time setup just like setting up a new ftp profile in your ftp client or something. Just use your connection manager to remember your keys or pageant or the like.

• @TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    LMFTFY

What? It's one time setup just like setting up a new ftp profile in your ftp client or something. Just use your connection manager to remember your keys or pageant or the like.

Yes, one time setup. Times that to 100 client. It's 100 times of 1 time setup. If it's integrated into the control panel, IT REALLY IS one time setup. All you need is setup the control panel. The control panel will remember all they keys, username, etc.

• @yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    LMFTFY

Yes, one time setup. Times that to 100 client. It's 100 times of 1 time setup. If it's integrated into the control panel, IT REALLY IS one time setup. All you need is setup the control panel. The control panel will remember all they keys, username, etc.

But you're going through a control panel in a browser for SSH sessions and think you're saving time. You're doing it wrong.

• @TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    LMFTFY

But you're going through a control panel in a browser for SSH sessions and think you're saving time. You're doing it wrong.

It's not like I do it frequently. For example when my client ask me to import some big database. It's much more efficient to do it from control panel instead of adding keys pair to my pc and to the control panel. Also it would help user who doesn't know how to generate / setup ssh keys pair.

As I said, there's a reason why control panel providing single sign on (sso) for phpmyadmin.

• @yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    LMFTFY

It's not like I do it frequently. For example when my client ask me to import some big database. It's much more efficient to do it from control panel instead of adding keys pair to my pc and to the control panel. Also it would help user who doesn't know how to generate / setup ssh keys pair.

As I said, there's a reason why control panel providing single sign on (sso) for phpmyadmin.

It is for ease of use and efficiency. It is NOT so you don't have to save/remember database passwords. That sounds like negligence or at least sloppy admin work.

• @TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    LMFTFY

It is for ease of use and efficiency.

So does the SSH in the control panel. For ease of use and efficiencey, so we / the client can ssh easily without the need to setup ssh client and key / pair.

It is NOT so you don't have to save/remember database passwords. That sounds like negligence or at least sloppy admin work.

No admin will save / remember every password of their client. That's why SSO exists. Saving password is only good, if you remember the username. When you have a lot of client with a lot of database, you have no idea, which username belong to which user and which database. Therefore SSO is invented so you don't have to guess which one is which.

• @yokowasis said:
    No admin will save / remember every password of their client.

Holy fuck. I'd understand if you were a government employee, but you're a contractor/consultant getting paid to manage services for your clients, no?

• @TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

Holy fuck. I'd understand if you were a government employee, but you're a contractor/consultant getting paid to manage services for your clients, no?

Yes. If I can make my life easier, why wouldn't I do it?

Work smart instead of work hard

• @yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

If recording passwords one time is your definition of hard work, or using browser for SSH is working smart, you've got worse problems.

• @TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

If recording passwords one time is your definition of hard work, or using browser for SSH is working smart, you've got worse problems.

I said it before. 100 client each of them has different password. There is a reason why they reseller can login directly into their sub account instead of have to remember / save password for each every one of their sub account.

If you can directly login into sub account without password, or login into sub account database without password, it makes sense to be able to ssh into sub account without keys.

• @TimboJones said:

I actually agree with him.
    I have 300 clients. Most of them I never hear from, probably wouldn't know they are a client unless they told me.
    But all of a sudden, a client calls and have a problem. Having to dig up a password from 5-6 years ago is not working smart. Clicking the customers name in a webinterface is.

And personally, I never write down or document passwords. Ever. The customer might do it, but that's on him. If there is a password leak, I want to be able to make it clear without a doubt that it was not coming from me.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@yokowasis said: It's not like you are going to install directadmin every day.
    Maybe a better approach is using docker?

Docker for shared hosting?

Thanks for the offer, but I am good ;)

When cPanel raised prices last year. Only DA was ahead of the curve.

But it seems cPanel is going to revise their prices every year from now on. And there are few contenders like InterWorx, CyberPanel and ApisCP on the horizon. They all are backed by well established hosting and software companies.

If they can keep a development road map, the competition can get very tough again in a few years.

By then every little thing will matter.

And if that happens, usability over performance is going to be a safe bet.

• zane_zane_ Member, LIR

From what I have seen DNSSEC does not work for us properly yet. Also would be nice to manually modify DNS zones (SOA, mass record adding etc.) if not possible already (I haven't been able to find how). I also agree with @wdmg about the file manager interface, the last one was much better in my opinion.

It’s been a while.... so thought since the CPanel price increases again I’d bring it back... DA has really come along and there are just a few more features I would love to see:

• SSL admin page to manage all domains for renewals.
    • Email Track and Trace GUI - to show sent/incoming/Spam.
    • I’d like to see some of the custom build stuff located under admin instead of a ‘plug-in’

Anyone else after anything else??

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2020

To add to the ideas pile, I'd like to see webmail.* be automatically included in the SSL defaults as well as added to point to roundcube.

cPanel expats are expecting it to be there. As of now we fix this with a CUSTOM httpd entry and then adjustments to the letsencrypt domains list, but it'd be nice if it was in the default roll out.

Francisco

Totally agree with the mail SSL, we had a client leave us because of that.

Thanked by 1Francisco