Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bulletproof hosting provider in NL(probably Ecatel) was busted for tax evasion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bulletproof hosting provider in NL(probably Ecatel) was busted for tax evasion

YorisYoris Member
edited September 2020 in General

https://www.emerce.nl/nieuws/fiod-doet-onderzoek-bulletproof-hoster

https://www.om.nl/actueel/nieuws/2020/09/25/fiod-doet-onderzoek-naar-bedrijf-dat-‘bulletproof’-internetdiensten-aanbiedt

It said
"The FIOD arrested three suspects and searched a total of seven properties in an investigation into tax fraud by an unnamed bulletproof hoster. Two men are being brought to trial today. A third was sent after questioning. He remains a suspect. (...) In addition to companies in the Netherlands, it also concerns two "limiteds" and one "incorporated" in the Seychelles. (...) In addition, two tasers, 70,000 euros in cash, tons of cryptocurrency and five vehicles were seized."

R.I.P

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Yoris said: tons of cryptocurrency

I had no idea that cryptocurrency weighed so much.

• edited September 2020

https://twitter.com/adejoode/status/1309471314919534592

IP Volume Inc,
    Ecatel Ltd,
    Novogara Ltd,
    DataOne BV,
    FiberXpress BV,
    REBA Communications BV,
    B&R Propertie BV.

So is DataOne done for?

Thanked by 2vimalware wdmg
  • Ecatel is like a phoenix. They will recover and they will continue.

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • @LTniger said:
    Ecatel is like a phoenix. They will recover and they will continue.

It's a neccessary evil.

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • @LTniger said: Ecatel is like a phoenix. They will recover and they will continue.

You mean hydra, cut off one head, and many more will rise.

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • @raindog308 said:

It’s a literal translation a ‘ton’ in this context means 100k Euros.

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-tsa-screening-2014-2

Francisco

Thanked by 2wdmg raindog308
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2020

Was ordering bunch of servers at Novogara before some months ago, just found it strange that i got billed 21% NL Sales tax instead of 19% German tax (im from germany)

Normally in EU you use MOSS and invoice sales tax of customers location in EU. In this case the 19% German tax.

But okay, i got it waived anyway by sending our VAT-ID and companies documents.

However,
    Does it mean Reinier and bap now in jail? or what?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Ecatel deserves whatever they get.

But they will return in some other form. I mean, it's their way of life now. They can't go back to ordinary lives.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited September 2020

@HostSlick said: Normally in EU you use MOSS and invoice sales tax of customers location in EU. In this case the 19% German tax.

This is not always the case! Though I don't think the exceptions apply to Dataone and friends.

@HostSlick said: Does it mean Reinier and bap now in jail? or what?

Might wanna keep an eye on rechtspraak.nl - their law suit, if it comes to prosecution, should be published there.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

@RickBakkr said:

@HostSlick said: Normally in EU you use MOSS and invoice sales tax of customers location in EU. In this case the 19% German tax.

This is not always the case! Though I don't think the exceptions apply to Dataone and friends.

@HostSlick said: Does it mean Reinier and bap now in jail? or what?

Might wanna keep an eye on rechtspraak.nl - their law suit, if it comes to prosecution, should be published there.

I know there are exceptions but neither do i think they apply for them.

I will indeed keep a eye on this.

They were threatened before, many years ago if I recall correctly.

Then they changed brand name and started over. It was coming really.

• nexlimitednexlimited Member
    edited September 2020

Hi,

Do you think their services will be completely shutdown now? Despite searches for taxes? I want to be on the safe side because I have some customers hosting there.

@nexlimitedto said:
    Hi,

Do you think their services will be completely shutdown now? Despite searches for taxes? I want to be on the safe side because I have some customers hosting there.

Translation:

Um, the ship I am on is sinking. Should I jump off to a lifeboat? What should I do?

Thanked by 3BlaZe lentro Pwner
  • But we should not forget that the FIOD is. It is about money but not about servers. They investigate because of taxes but not something else.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

LET providers hosted with them:

@spectraip
    @skbenterprise
    @SoftShellWeb

Maybe more which I don't remember.

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited September 2020

@nexlimited said:
    But we should not forget that the FIOD is. It is about money but not about servers. They investigate because of taxes but not something else.

When the FIOD does a raid and incidentally finds some illegal stuff (which they will) it will of course be put through to the right authorities. They’ll be in for a treat.

Also, tax fraud is pretty serious.

Also, I don’t trust providers that use their datacentre or network. Shady.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@raindog308 said:

They must've carried them in their big fat e-wallets.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

I remember using ecatel 5-6 years ago , they were shady all the time

• @Yoris said: tons of cryptocurrency

ah! they are actually minting the cryptocurrency!

• No comments from any LET providers hosted there? Aren’t they concerned for their servers?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2020

@HunterBiden said:
    No comments from any LET providers hosted there? Aren’t they concerned for their servers?

Its not like the owners are jailed.. They got arrested for questioning and released shortly after. At most you get suspended scentence for tax fraud anyway. They pay that off and the scam continues.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited September 2020

@JasonM said:

ah! they are actually minting the cryptocurrency!

So, this is them?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@HunterBiden said: No comments from any LET providers hosted there? Aren’t they concerned for their servers?

None of them are surprised, I am sure. They just don't want you to know and will avoid public attention on the fact that they are hosted and do business with a cybercrime enterprise.

• @stefeman said:

@HunterBiden said:
    No comments from any LET providers hosted there? Aren’t they concerned for their servers?

Its not like the owners are jailed.. They got arrested for questioning and released shortly after. At most you get suspended scentence for tax fraud anyway. They pay that off and the scam continues.

Usually when you make tax fraud you get some jail time and pay those taxes.

• Nothing will happen to them. They will continue as before. For tax evasion. They pay their penalty and that's good.

You don't seriously think that the state would just shut this down for tax evasion. Otherwise the state will not get any more money. :D

• @stefeman @ltniger @nexlimited Glad to see the lowend lawyers are out in full force. Any caselaw to support random, made up statements of what you think the world should be?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited October 2020

@Unbelievable said:
    @stefeman @ltniger @nexlimited Glad to see the lowend lawyers are out in full force. Any caselaw to support random, made up statements of what you think the world should be?

Yes.. It's ecatel. It's a cockroach and you can't kill it no matter what you do LOL.

Even if all other hosts die out, this one will survive for sure.

• @Unbelievable No, but have you ever heard that something was closed due to tax evasion?

• @Unbelievable said:
    @stefeman @ltniger @nexlimited Glad to see the lowend lawyers are out in full force. Any caselaw to support random, made up statements of what you think the world should be?

I can easily be your lawyer when you finally sue that 12$/year provider for trillions in damages.