Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Free WebHosting] InfinityFree - Unlimited Disk Space & BW, 400 MySQL Dtb, Free SSL/Subdom
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Free WebHosting] InfinityFree - Unlimited Disk Space & BW, 400 MySQL Dtb, Free SSL/Subdom

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited May 2020 in Reviews

So I thought it was time about writing a review on InfinityFree since I have been using them for about a year now.

InfinityFree offers at no charge, what many would consider impossible:

"Unlimited" Disk Space (ofc there is probably some kind of FUP) and Bandwidth, 400 MySQL Databases, a PHP Selector, Free Subdomains, Free SSL and DNS, Free Softaculous and no ads on your website.

So, how does that work out then? Way too good, to be honest. They pride themselves in 99,99% Uptime and indeed my Uptime Roboto reported about 237 Minutes of Downtime within just about a year which equals about 4hours of downtime. Using uptime.is to calculate, 99,99% of Uptime would still allow a whopping 8 hours of downtime and it's nowhere near that.

Now, many of you may be disappointed because I didn't abuse the "Unlimited Disk Space", or provoke to see any limits being applied but I was able to host a few WordPress Divi website templates without an issue. Websites were loading fast-ish (not blazing fast but still good enough), SSL worked and I could bring my own domains 10/10.

You are limited to 3 "active accounts" on your dashboard, but you can add unlimited addon domains.
You can use about 30000 Inodes per account it seems.

And the Control Panel?.. is a cPanel rip-off, but this is positive, actually, as I am used to the workflow.

So, how do they make money then?
They show ads in the control panel (or in my case a "please disable your adblocker" notice; so you actually can block the ads), which is probably one way they make money. The other way is reminding you ever so often via E-Mail that you could very well upgrade to their premium tier. Fair enough, I'd say :)

TL;DR: What you see on the image below, is what you get (probably; judging from my experience:

They have an active forum (where people will complain about account deletions and other issues ever so often) and a Knowledgebase.

Overall, I have been happy and would recommend it for small projects of non-abusive/resource hungry nature :)

10/10 my free webhost to go to these days. Right now, I am not hosting any website with them, because I only trialed InfinityFree and have no actual use for it now. My HM reseller is still almost empty and my MyW reseller is running idle. Also I don't want to have more public facing domains than necessary where I have to put my imprint etc (german laws yay).

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

So, in your opinion, where is the catch? Because we are on LET, and we know - nothing comes free.

Thanked by 2o_be_one Tony40
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@LTniger said:
    So, in your opinion, where is the catch? Because we are on LET, and we know - nothing comes free.

You'll have to find the limit yourself. I'd probably say it's great for some low traffic site, or just to host some website demos/mockups to show to clients that usually dont receive much attention :)

• Adam1Adam1 Member

whats the location of your server? and would you happen to know if the server is apache or litespeed? more specifically if you can use apache proxy or php passthru

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Adam1 said:
    whats the location of your server? and would you happen to know if the server is apache or litespeed? more specifically if you can use apache proxy or php passthru

Location appears to be UK (ASN 34119). I think it runs on Apache iirc. No idea about proxy/passthru.

Thanked by 1Adam1
  • LTniger said: So, in your opinion, where is the catch? Because we are on LET, and we know - nothing comes free.

I was using them from 2017 - beginning of 2019. I had done a few tests and had found that:
    1) They have very strict abuse policies; the moment I had added a web proxy script I was banned and had to open a ticket to regain access to my server.
    2) Limited support; their support is somewhat slow and will only respond to basic questions. Their community forums is pretty much where you should ask questions.
    3) No SSH or anything fancy. You're limited to FTP and a few options from the panel
    4) They don't allow some free domains. Personally, I had tried using a .tk domain to run a website off of, however, these don't seem to be allowed.
    That's all of what I noticed, but to be honest for it being free, I had a great experience.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • hzrhzr Member

PineappleBox said: 1) They have very strict abuse policies; the moment I had added a web proxy script I was banned and had to open a ticket to regain access to my server.

It looks like they are just using http://myownfreehost.net , a byethost reseller .

Thanked by 2Ympker serversHQ
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@hzr said:

PineappleBox said: 1) They have very strict abuse policies; the moment I had added a web proxy script I was banned and had to open a ticket to regain access to my server.

It looks like they are just using http://myownfreehost.net , a byethost reseller .

Interesting. It's free though. It is what it is.

• @Ympker said:

@hzr said:

Reminds me of the early days of youhosting. Byet survived a very long time.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2020

@seriesn said:

@Ympker said:

@hzr said:

Reminds me of the early days of youhosting. Byet survived a very long time.

For some reason, I have never heard about youhosting, but the name Byet rings a bell..

• lovelyserverlovelyserver Member
    edited June 2020

Byethost reseller. I have some accounts there, just for fun. The limitations, for me, are: no free autossl, very low inodes limit, low concurrent connections limit also.

YouHosting? He heeee ... History now.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited June 2020

What is typical inode usage for most people? What is the typical inode limit?

It's been like 5+ years since a previous company I worked for had their site on Host Gator. I want to say they had an inode limit of like 60000 but the website was like 100K or something? They basically hit every unadvertised HG limit and so shared hosting forever was on my shitlist as a result.

Edit: my basic website VPS has just under 30K inodes used and my torrent VPS that is under 1TB is over 370K inodes.

• RoboCainRoboCain Member
    edited June 2020

I like it. Using this right now to let a domain age and give my LinkedIn some juice.

Interesting. So they are using a free host reseller setup and gaining a user base.

Hardcore hustling by those boys. 👀

• RoboCain said: Interesting. So they are using a free host reseller setup and gaining a user base.

Hardcore hustling by those boys. 👀

I setup my own reseller off of "myownfreehost," as I was curious about how it works. It seems that they have added a bunch of their own features, as well as having customized the user panel (Not the CPanel knockoff). Regardless of them being resold though, for what they offer I'm pretty impressed.

Thanked by 2RoboCain Ympker
  • @Ympker said: For some reason, I have never heard about youhosting, but the name Byet rings a bell..

Does Hostinger ring a bell ? They were related to them, I think if my memory is correct.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@rahulks said:

@Ympker said: For some reason, I have never heard about youhosting, but the name Byet rings a bell..

Does Hostinger ring a bell ? They were related to them, I think if my memory is correct.

Hostinger, I do know.

• Tony40Tony40 Member

There got to be a catch, I think it has to do with email collection... Email marketing is a big business... nobody is gonna paid for servers and give it out for free... follow the free-hosting trails.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2020

@Tony40 said:
    There got to be a catch, I think it has to do with email collection... Email marketing is a big business... nobody is gonna paid for servers and give it out for free... follow the free-hosting trails.

The catch is them trying to up-sell you to their "premium" tier. If you are concerned by email use some disposeable e-mail (although hf recovering the pw). Then again Aliexpress has my e-mail, so I guess I wouldn't give it much thought at this point.

Thanked by 1Tony40
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited June 2020

Thanks to this thread I have a free hosting account that I didn't think I needed... :-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@vyas11 said:
    Thanks to this thread I have a free hosting account that I didn't think I needed... :-)

Happy I could help :)

• What do 30000 Inodes mean?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@JohnSunQiang said:
    What do 30000 Inodes mean?

Sums it up quite well:

https://www.siteground.com/kb/what_is_an_inode/

• @Ympker said:

@JohnSunQiang said:
    What do 30000 Inodes mean?

Sums it up quite well:

https://www.siteground.com/kb/what_is_an_inode/

Thank you!
    The number of inodes on your account equals the number of files and folders you have on it.