Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Daniel15 said: I wish BuyVM had servers in Asia too...would improve the anycast service a bit.

I'm really uneasy about increasing the region count for anycast.

It turns into us forcing users to buy servers that they may not need for their setup.

Francisco

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

What heatsinks did you go with? Seems like there is almost none that fit in a 1u..
    Seems like this is the best option if you can find it in stock: https://www.amazon.com/Dynatron-A18-Active-Blower-heatsink/dp/B074DT5B36

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

@oplink said:
    What heatsinks did you go with? Seems like there is almost none that fit in a 1u..
    seems like this is the best one on the market: https://www.amazon.com/Dynatron-A18-Active-Blower-heatsink/dp/B074DT5B36

Pretty sure that's what he used. That's pretty much the only option unless you have the bare 1U aluminum heatsinks like what's included in the ASRR barebones (img) server.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

I tried to find the that one too, no luck so far. Not sure how well they would cool with a passive cooler in a supermicro case. They seem to run warmer vs Intels

I did find a tiny 1u water cooler https://www.ebay.com/i/254479793588 that looked interesting. I would be too worried of a leak/failure in a rack with that.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@oplink said:
    I tried to find the that one too, no luck so far. Not sure how well they would cool with a passive cooler in a supermicro case. They seem to run warmer vs Intels

I did find a tiny 1u water cooler https://www.ebay.com/i/254479793588 that looked interesting. I would be too worried of a leak/failure in a rack with that.

My Ryzen stuff runs cooler than my Intel stuff. I use the Dynatron coolers, they're perfectly fine. The barebones 1U heatsink works fine with passive cooling from the 60mm fans; I have a Ryzen 2200G that was sitting at 28*c last I checked.

@oplink said:
    Seems like this is the best option if you can find it in stock: https://www.amazon.com/Dynatron-A18-Active-Blower-heatsink/dp/B074DT5B36

I got a few of those but I ended up buying a similar heatsink off aliexpress. The CFM on the aliexpress one is much higher than the Dynatron.

Dynatron quoted me at least 2 months before they're able to fill my order.

Supposedly they had a lot of intentory and then sold everything in a weekend.

Francisco

Thanked by 3oplink Foul netomx
  • Francisco said: I'm really uneasy about increasing the region count for anycast.

It turns into us forcing users to buy servers that they may not need for their setup.

Maybe you could keep the existing anycast subnet(s) with the current three regions, and add some new subnets that include new regions?

tbh the main reason I'm not using the anycast service more is that there's not really good coverage for people in APAC, since it just goes to the USA.

Thanked by 1isunbejo

Daniel15 said: Maybe you could keep the existing anycast subnet(s) with the current three regions, and add some new subnets that include new regions?

tbh the main reason I'm not using the anycast service more is that there's not really good coverage for people in APAC, since it just goes to the USA.

If I was to add APAC I think enough people would be happy with it that I could get away with 'forcing it'.

Francisco

Thanked by 1LightBlade
  • @Francisco wishing you and your staff's safety from the virus. more power.

sorry for this comment on this thread.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Francisco said:

@smicroz said:
    Ram upgrade? 😁

Theres no changes to the plans.

Francisco

How exactly will CPU cores work? IIRC the CPUs you have now don't support hyper threading but those Ryzen do. Will you disable hyper threading? A dedicated core will just be a dedicated thread? Or, will a dedicated core be a dedicated physical core with two virtual cores?

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

@smicroz said:
    Ram upgrade? 😁

Francisco

How exactly will CPU cores work? IIRC the CPUs you have now don't support hyper threading but those Ryzen do. Will you disable hyper threading? A dedicated core will just be a dedicated thread? Or, will a dedicated core be a dedicated physical core with two virtual cores?

The current cpus have hyper threading.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Autizmo

@jcaleb said:
    @Francisco wishing you and your staff's safety from the virus. more power.

sorry for this comment on this thread.

Hope all is well with you and your family boss.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @Francisco said:

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

@smicroz said:
    Ram upgrade? 😁

Francisco

Francisco

Ah, well there goes my dream of doubling my virtual cores
    pepe_hands

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

@smicroz said:
    Ram upgrade? 😁

Francisco

Francisco

pepe_hands

No, but it sure feels like we are.

We have some plex users on the test node that are transcoding without any hiccups or anything when before the 1270v3s would crap out on 720p.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Autizmo
  • @Francisco said:

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

@smicroz said:
    Ram upgrade? 😁

Francisco

Francisco

pepe_hands

No, but it sure feels like we are.

We have some plex users on the test node that are transcoding without any hiccups or anything when before the 1270v3s would crap out on 720p.

Francisco

Yeah, I know it'll be a pretty big IPC improvement along with a clock bump. Not to mention DDR4 and NVME. I'm curious just how much performance will improve.

• @Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

@smicroz said:
    Ram upgrade? 😁

Francisco

Francisco

pepe_hands

Pay a little more each month and make that dream a reality.

Thanked by 1Francisco

Heatsinks cleared customs this evening so I should have them Monday.

Intending to rack 8 to 10 nodes this weekend using the heatsinks I do have.

Francisco

• FoulFoul Member

Francisco said: Heatsinks cleared customs this evening so I should have them Monday.

volunteers to have my slice swapped

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

Can't wait to try. Would love to have my Windows VM swap over to Ryan.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Netxons said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Are you sure that Ryan wants your Windows VM?

• @angstrom said:

@Netxons said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Are you sure that Ryan wants your Windows VM?

Ryan is a cool guy, I doubt he will mind.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Francisco said:

Francisco

All the best Fran and hope everything goes as smooth as possible ☺️

• niknik Member, Host Rep

The M.2 slots on this board are not using PCIe 3.0 x4, that means the NVMes will get heavily throttled. We tried them out as well but came to the conclusion that there are too many downsides of this board.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @nik said:
    The M.2 slots on this board are not using PCIe 3.0 x4, that means the NVMes will get heavily throttled. We tried them out as well but came to the conclusion that there are too many downsides of this board.

Yeah that's what I noticed as well, it also limits the types and size of NVMe drives you can connect to this board.

• The cost of bifurcation x16 cards needs to come down big time.

• @marvel said:

@nik said:

Yeah that's what I noticed as well, it also limits the types and size of NVMe drives you can connect to this board.

Do you really think it'd make that big of an impact? I mean, PCIe 3.0 2x is still pretty fast.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I miss Aldryc... #not

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Autizmo said:

@marvel said:

@nik said:

Do you really think it'd make that big of an impact? I mean, PCIe 3.0 2x is still pretty fast.

Who notices 50% performance difference anyways? /s

I only buy m.2's that use all x4 lanes, so it would be a shitty experience for me to go to x2. But if they were coming from SSD or spinners, it's a step up, no doubt. I mean, Budget is right in the name, and this is how to use budget m.2 drives and keep the cost down.

• NihimNihim Member

Can someone remind me restock days? 1st and 7th or 1st and 17th?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited March 2020

@Nihim said:
    Can someone remind me restock days? 1st and 7th or 1st and 17th?

https://buyvmstock.com

Thanked by 2Nihim Autizmo