Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2020

@network33 said:
    I've been trying to buy a slice in NY for ages... any idea when some with open up?

On the 7th.

I'll be sending a lot more nodes with the ryzen upgrade.

As well as slabs ;)

Francisco

• sweet. 3/7 I'll add on my calendar. thank you.

@network33 said:
    sweet. 3/7 I'll add on my calendar. thank you.

:)

Just finished purchasing the drives for NY Slabs as well as additional Slabs in LV.

Francisco

• Thank you @Francisco this is great news! I've been using your servers for a while now and have been very pleased with them. Can't wait for the upgrade. Cheers.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Francisco said:

@network33 said:
    I've been trying to buy a slice in NY for ages... any idea when some with open up?

On the 7th.

As well as slabs ;)

Francisco

Bro, you need a queue/preorder system so that it's less a lottery system and more of a layaway system. That way you'll fill the slots immediately and in order of interest. It'll also give you a better heads up on demand for better node planning.

@taubin said:
    Thank you @Francisco this is great news! I've been using your servers for a while now and have been very pleased with them. Can't wait for the upgrade. Cheers.

:) Thanks for the continued support!

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@network33 said:

On the 7th.

As well as slabs ;)

Francisco

Bro, you need a queue/preorder system so that it's less a lottery system and more of a layaway system. That way you'll fill the slots immediately and in order of interest. It'll also give you a better heads up on demand for better node planning.

Honestly, not the worst idea.

"Pay longer, get higher in queue".

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited March 2020

@Francisco

I actually like the idea of a queue -- what if you had users make a payment for the first month, then you shift the due date as stock comes in and orders are provisioned?

@FlamesRunner said:
    @Francisco

I actually like the idea of a queue -- what if you had users make a payment for the first month, then you shift the due date as stock comes in and orders are provisioned?

The start date would be whenever the VM delivers.

I'd likely want to do something where someone that pays more (quarterly, yearly) gets ahead of a person paying monthly. The commitment makes it easier to plan.

Francisco

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • marvelmarvel Member
    edited March 2020

@Francisco what case will you be using?

I'm looking to built something similar, I've noticed these servers can be built relatively cheap, for under 2000.

I was looking at this case: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=1U4LW-X470

Will you be using that as well? Or will you do something with redundant PSU? Plus add a 10G NIC? (Which is a big cost of $300-$400).

@marvel said:
    @Francisco what case will you be using?

I'm looking to built something similar, I've noticed these servers can be built relatively cheap, for under 2000.

I was looking at this case: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=1U4LW-X470

Will you be using that as well? Or will you do something with redundant PSU? Plus add a 10G NIC? (Which is a big cost of $300-$400).

i'll be using something based around the Supermicro 815TQ's with dual PSU's.

10gig is done via our connectx-3 VPI's. They can be sourced for around $20 - $25/ea + a bit for the optics/adapters.

Francisco

Thanked by 1marvel
  • LeviLevi Member

Francisco said: Francisco

Does the 'cisco' part in your name refer to expertise in Cisco products?

P.S. Is there any discounts available for delicious AMD slices?

• naingnaing Member

@LTniger said:

Probably not.

Framdisco

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • LTniger said: P.S. Is there any discounts available for delicious AMD slices?

Discounts at BuyVM are basically non-existent. Too much demand without the discounts already.

edited March 2020

@LTniger said:

...wat?

As for discounts, no. We've been blessed in that we've not had to offer discounts to keep interest in our products.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Any sneak peek @Francisco ?

@mtsbatalha said:
    Any sneak peek @Francisco ?

Francisco

• FoulFoul Member

@Francisco Thanks for tickling my insides;

Can't wait for my slice to swap over to that :)

Foul said: @Francisco Thanks for tickling my insides;

Francisco

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Francisco,

Will you be using network storage or local nvme on your new amd nodes?

I am looking at checking out these newer micron u.2 nvme disks + ceph
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SJ667R9

-Ryan

@oplink said:
    Francisco,

Will you be using network storage or local nvme on your new amd nodes?

I am looking at checking out these newer micron u.2 nvme disks + ceph
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SJ667R9

-Ryan

Local.

While our storage product could handle the IOPs, in the off chance something was to happen in the cluster, I would rather it just be addon storage that's bugging out, not everything.

Francisco

Same here, we use local ssd in our Solsvm system now. Does this motherboard hit a wall with so many nvme ssds? How many nvme are you sticking in each of your new amd nodes?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@oplink said:
    Same here, we use local ssd in our Solsvm system now. Does this motherboard hit a wall with so many nvme ssds? How many nvme are you sticking in each of your new amd nodes?

It only handles 2 nvme drives IIRC.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

It has a true x16 slot that can be split in to 4x4x4x4 with a total of 6 x NVMe.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

@MrRadic said:
    It has a true x16 slot that can be split in to 4x4x4x4 with a total of 6 x NVMe.

I believe Sir.Fran is using that for the infiniband card and appears to use x8.

• @MrRadic said:

But the two onboard ones are gimped, so I'd still really only consider the bifurcation route, and that adds a bit for the board.

Who sells a PCIE card that holds 6x m.2 nvme? I only see ones that hold 4. Unless you use a host adapater > mini sas > supermicro case w/ the right backplane. Seems like they only sell those cases as an entire server.

• @oplink said:
    Who sells a PCIE card that holds 6x m.2 nvme? I only see ones that hold 4. Unless you use a host adapater > mini sas > supermicro case w/ the right backplane. Seems like they only sell those cases as an entire server.

Two onboard plus four on an add-on card equals six. Hence, the word total.

• Autizmo said: What about Japan? I could really use some Japan hosting that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Vultr and AWS Lightsail both have a Japan location.

I wish BuyVM had servers in Asia too...would improve the anycast service a bit.

• It seems that refresh is taking longer than expected?

@Netxons said:
    It seems that refresh is taking longer than expected?

Yeah we had a delay on heatsinks due to Coronavirus delays.

I was able to source some though. They're marked for arrival next Monday.

I'm currently working to get about as much done as I can that way I can just go in, install the heatsinks, and rack 'em.

Francisco