Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen!

Comments

• @Francisco said:

@poisson said:
    With new stuff BIOS support can be tricky. This is why I prefer not to go for the absolutely latest generation but I am content with being one generation behind so that all the BIOS gremlins are sorted out.

The board has been around for 2xxx.

Francisco

I know. It works well for the 2xxx series for sure. The 3xxx series had some initial issues on this board with the early batch of BIOS if I recall correctly, but now it shouldn't be the case and it's a great board to power your fleet!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I've never had issues with it. OVH uses it as well.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Wow can BuyVM get any better 😍 Ryzen is very prem.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MikeA said:
    I've never had issues with it. OVH uses it as well.

I'm a huge fan of the IPMI since it has NFS support.

No more shitty SMB!

Francisco

Thanked by 2MikeA vimalware
  • Ryzen in servers is the future. I have been giving money to providers for years. Ended up buying myself a 3600x based system for testing, and i ordered 3950x a few days ago. Cant want for that to arrive.

Looking at what i have paid for servers over the years, my system with my new upgrades, will "pay for itself" within 6 months. Not bad at all.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • So if I buy now, it would on new gear?

• @hiphiphip0 said:
    So if I buy now, it would on new gear?

No.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • nhocconannhocconan Member
    edited February 2020

hiphiphip0 said: So if I buy now, it would on new gear?

No available stock atm. I keep watching them ...

• Goodbye Intel.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@hiphiphip0 said:
    So if I buy now, it would on new gear?

In the next week or two for Vegas.

Francisco

• elliotcelliotc Member
    edited February 2020

Where is the stock notification website btw?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@elliotc said:

https://buyvmstock.com/

Thanked by 1elliotc

@elliotc said:

There is always stock on the 1st and 7th :)

Francisco

• That's awesome but allow me to be the first to "whine" - hope this doesn't push back the LU slabs a lot :smiley:

• Francisco said: Today we are happy to announce a complete overhaul of all of our KVM Slice nodes to AMD Ryzen 3900X CPUs. Our originally advertised 3.5GHz clocks will increase to 3.8GHz with a boost clock of 4GHz+ (we are seeing an average boost clock of 4.1GHz on most cores). Storage will also be upgraded from SATA SSDs to NVME SSDs, which will increase IO performance by 4x or more.

Network connectivity will be upgraded from 1Gbit to 10Gbit. While your service will remain capped at 1Gbit in each direction, we are considering uncapping inbound speeds for long term customers (customers who have had an active service for >6 months for example). We haven't given this too much thought yet but many users have shown interest in veteran perks.

congrats Fran ! The Ryzen 3900X is a beast of a cpu especially if you're using 5.3+ linux kernels with them :)

• That's awesome news ,
    but don't get me wrong you need to fix the uptime of your servers due to a lot of downtime more often which makes the service unusable .

Also since you changed the CPUS i think you should increase the CPU cores of your slices for a better performance !

And finally do you have any plans to introduce dedicated servers ? i will more interested in those :smile:

@momkin said:
    That's awesome news ,
    but don't get me wrong you need to fix the uptime of your servers due to a lot of downtime more often which makes the service unusable .

Also since you changed the CPUS i think you should increase the CPU cores of your slices for a better performance !

And finally do you have any plans to introduce dedicated servers ? i will more interested in those :smile:

If you have logs or anything like that of when things are unusable I'm all ears.

Not planning any core changes, it would just burn up whatever extra cycles we get out of this.

Not planning any dedicated servers, I dont like the margins.

Francisco

• @jmginer said:

@Francisco said:

We'll be using an ASROCK RACK X470D4U.

Francisco

I hope you have better luck with that motherboard than I did.

I had these problems in September 2019 and now I just checked that in November they released a new BIOS v3.30, maybe they have corrected these problems... I wish you luck!

I copy here the message I sent to AsRock support:

--

Hello, the server is blocked with a message: Update FRU System device

I'm unable to enter the BIOS and also don't boot nothing.

I have been able to access the BIOS by removing the battery from the motherboard.

Then I disabled the "Inventory support" option in the BIOS and the problem was not reproduced.

I was able to install the operating system, but when I restarted and wanted to enter the BIOS again I had more problems.

The BIOS screen was completely blue, locked... On the motherboard the status was A9 and when I connected the keyboard changed to B4, but it didn't show any content... I've started the computer several times without any positive results.

I removed the battery from the BIOS again and I was able to access it again.

Another problem that I have detected, is that when I turn on the computer, it does not work...the lights come on, the fans turn, but there's no POST on the screen. I have to hit the reset button and then starts correctly.

There are also problems in the IPMI connection through Java, the ISO image is disconnected randomly, the screen shows a window of "Reconnection" that at the end works, but it is necessary to re-mount the ISO and the system has already shown errors, so we had to start again with the HTML5 version that has worked well.

Additionally, I found that the SATA cables were connected on ports 7 and 8, which causes nomenclature problems in Linux, since it detects it as sdi instead of sda.

In general, I'm disappointed with the server... the procedure to put in production is not expected and has not passed the minimum quality test, so unfortunately we will not buy more units.

--

This was his response:

Hi Jose,

Sorry to hear this.

This is my Cmos reset procedure :

• Disconnect your power cable
    • Remove the Cmos Battery
    • Press the power button to drain residual energy
    • Touch/Short the 2 points/pads on the Clr_cmos pad ( yellow circle)with a paperclip

I shall check with my colleague about the other issues you encounter how we can best solve them..

Regards,

--

And I didn't get any further response...

I've had pretty good motherboard luck over the years, except for an ASRACK motherboard I wanted to use with ESXi. It had an LSI raid and 10GB NIC. The raid and Ethernet would fail after a day or two and need reboots. It was unstable and couldn't work with modern video cards, like RX580. Seemed like physical defects in the board.

The support was pretty good. You can talk directly with a real engineer who has access to schematics. Anyway, I shipped the mobo in, he tested with a power hungry nvidia and said no issues. He swapped the mobo anyways but I still couldn't get it working stable. His conclusion was a hairline crack in a CPU trace between x16 slot and CPU since its a direct route.

In contrast, the level of interest and detailed replies I have never seen from companies with consumer offerings like that. So I've been hesitant to buy another ASRack product, but was very pleased with speaking at a real technical level and not regurgitating shit from a basic manual that just screenshots the bios.

I bought three 2920X Threadrippers on Amazon Prime day, two for work and one at home, so I won't be buying any more mobo's for myself anytime soon.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • good!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @vpsre said:
    good!

Congrats on your second comment

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • I wonder why not EPYC? Ryzen is more like a desktop CPU right?

Thanked by 3MrH Daniel15 kyaky
  • @marvel said:
    I wonder why not EPYC? Ryzen is more like a desktop CPU right?

You're not supposed to say that

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Prem server motherboards for Ryzen. Makes everything great again, with PREM IPMI.

@marvel said:

Our users want single thread performance.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • @Francisco said:

@marvel said:

Francisco

Not really any difference to user, no? Epyc just has more cores to scale up. Just better (more flexible) to have several little beasts than one big ass beast, no (when not limited by rack space)?

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@marvel said:

Francisco

Not really any difference to user, no? Epyc just has more cores to scale up. Just better (more flexible) to have several little beasts than one big ass beast, no (when not limited by rack space)?

If your app only uses a single core, is it going to run better on a 2.2ghz one or a 4ghz one?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@marvel said:

Francisco

If your app only uses a single core, is it going to run better on a 2.2ghz one or a 4ghz one?

Francisco

Ah, that's what you mean.

"Our users want faster single thread performance."

FTFY.

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@marvel said:

Francisco

Francisco

Ah, that's what you mean.

"Our users want faster single thread performance."

FTFY.

Huh, clever girl.

Thanks.

Francisco

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited February 2020

I guess, the performance has Ryzen up with the pony.

I will walk myself out.....

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • When is lu getting slabs?

Thanked by 2sgheghele Francisco