Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• Still works fine for me. As noted in this thread, benchmarks aren't very good but at least for my free servers it is hard to fault the uptime. I'm happy. Besides, no-one is risking their data if they have backups and failovers.

• Anyone seed "linux iso" in CH location?

• @dragon1993 said:
    Anyone seed "linux iso" in CH location?

Was thinking about that as well.

• It's good to have 1 GB RAM on such a small instance. Thanks for the heads up!

• @xaoc said:
    How does an account stop working?

Larry Ellison collects your soul.

Thanked by 2479555 havocx
  • @479555 said:

@dragon1993 said:
    Anyone seed "linux iso" in CH location?

Was thinking about that as well.

They killing often my transmission process.
    I think crappy CPU policy.
    I use haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn image with restart always policy.
    It's restarted every 3-4 hour. Transmission almost idle.

• Considered using it for a VPN but that 50mbps isn't gonna fly.

dragon1993 said: They killing often my transmission process.

Disable the monitoring when you create the VM. It seems to cause a bunch of CPU usage anyway.

The really should just use clean Ubuntu images without all that crap embedded.

• @dragon1993 said:

Is using lots of CPU? Is it taking public connections?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

They cannot kill any process from the outside, since this is KVM, not OVZ or LXC. Maybe it's crashing on it's own, due to low RAM?

Or if it's killed by another (monitoring?) process on the VPS, then you should just remove that one. I remember deleting something of that sort, but don't remember the package name exactly.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @rm_ said:

They cannot kill any process from the outside, since this is KVM, not OVZ or LXC. Maybe it's crashing on it's own, due to low RAM?

Or if it's killed by another (monitoring?) process on the VPS, then you should just remove that one. I remember deleting something of that sort, but don't remember the package name exactly.

Is oracle-cloud-agent. Just grep oracle @ ps.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @tetech said:

@dragon1993 said:

Is using lots of CPU? Is it taking public connections?

Transmission taking over NordVPN.
    CPU usage not many.

@rm_ said:

Good idea. I disabled it.

snap disable oracle-cloud-agent

but, i try run geekbench and it's killed.

docker run --rm davidsarkany/geekbench && docker rmi davidsarkany/geekbench

edited November 2019

dragon1993 said: snap disable oracle-cloud-agent

I don't know if snap disable stops the already running instance of it. Better just remove altogether and reboot.

dragon1993 said: i try run geekbench and it's killed.

Also check in dmesg if there's an Out of Memory (OOM) message in the end.

Oh I see you use "docker", could there be any memory limit or process killing from that? Better just try with regular UnixBench without docker.

• @rm_ said:

dragon1993 said: snap disable oracle-cloud-agent

I don't know if snap disable stops the already running instance of it. Better just remove altogether and reboot.

dragon1993 said: i try run geekbench and it's killed.

Also check in dmesg if there's an Out of Memory (OOM) message in the end.

Oh I see you use "docker", could there be any memory limit or process killing from that? Better just try with regular UnixBench without docker.

You are right.
    It was really memory problem.

• I'm impressed that you guys are still at it

• How is it holding up for you guys?

• Just lost one instance because I had to reinstall it: Out of host capacity.

Thanked by 1punder
  • benj0xbenj0x Member
    edited December 2019

@Coffee said:
    Just lost one instance because I had to reinstall it: Out of host capacity.

I had the same issue; however, after trying for a couple of days, I was luckily able to spin another instance up.

@punder said:
    How is it holding up for you guys?

Excellent, good performance/price ratio. Just that you shouldn't reinstall is a little bummer. However, when do you need reinstalls on idling machines?

Thanked by 1punder

punder said: How is it holding up for you guys?

Just works, I don't recreate so still have two. Hope someday they will add Debian, rDNS editing, IPv6, and switching of home regions or ability to use free VMs in a non-home region. Sounds like a lot of wishes, but it's all basic stuff and hopefully they add at least some of that.

Thanked by 3farsighter punder tux
  • rm_ said: Just works, I don't recreate so still have two. Hope someday they will add Debian

This is easy to get around by uploading your own boot image.

• @rm_ said:

punder said: How is it holding up for you guys?

Just works, I don't recreate so still have two. Hope someday they will add Debian, rDNS editing, IPv6, and switching of home regions or ability to use free VMs in a non-home region. Sounds like a lot of wishes, but it's all basic stuff and hopefully they add at least some of that.

Larry Ellison will have your soul first.

• Four accounts currently. Migrated some smaller processes over - like running a Minio S3 server for serving some server assets and a Bastion host for my fleet. Additionally have one running a Git server and Bitwarden.

They're small but if you segment, it works well.

• @daxterfellowes said:
    Four accounts currently.

All under one name/CC or how?

• havocxhavocx Member
    edited December 2019

They killed mine today.

Not gonna bother with them against. For a shitty server that can't sustain >50mbps download it's not worth it. Even the bottom tier LET stuff does better

• @farsighter said:

@daxterfellowes said:
    Four accounts currently.

@farsighter said:

@daxterfellowes said:
    Four accounts currently.

All are under different emails, different credit cards (thank you Capital One Eno, as Privacy is blocked), and all under different phone numbers (use a text verification service to bypass, only about $1 usually a verification code).

It does get VERY hectic to login to each since their login mechanism is not very friendly and trying to remember your realmID can be troublesome.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • @daxterfellowes said:
    and a Bastion host for my fleet.

Hope you have more than one. Else I'll be selling popcorn when the time comes.

Maybe, but I didn't bother with it initially because there was no serial console (could be mistaken, but I think that has been added only some time later), so no way to find out why it doesn't boot, or to reconfigure network interfaces and such; secondly, this still entails deleting and recreating an instance, with a very high risk to not be able to create one anymore due to the "Out of host capacity" error.

• @vimalware said:

@daxterfellowes said:
    and a Bastion host for my fleet.

Hope you have more than one. Else I'll be selling popcorn when the time comes.

I take DB backups nightly - so it's as simple as spinning a new one up via Docker on a new host. Would it be an inconvenience? For sure. Would it be catastrophic, definitely not.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited December 2019

Received an email saying that my cloud services terminated, but actually all of my instances are up and running

• I never saw steal > @rm_ said:

Maybe, but I didn't bother with it initially because there was no serial console (could be mistaken, but I think that has been added only some time later), so no way to find out why it doesn't boot, or to reconfigure network interfaces and such; secondly, this still entails deleting and recreating an instance, with a very high risk to not be able to create one anymore due to the "Out of host capacity" error.

There's VNC, but you need to download their SSH key and do port forwarding. It's a hassle initially, so best to use a program like Remote Desktop Manager that remembers credentials and can launch SSH forwarding before VNC.

• Oracle Sucks

Thanked by 1479555