Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - New AX41 - 39 Euro
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - New AX41 - 39 Euro

Ponury_TypPonury_Typ Member
edited October 2019 in General

https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ax41-nvme

The AX41-NVMe Dedicated Root Server houses the powerful third generation Ryzen 5 3600 CPU from AMD, which is based on Zen 2 architecture. With two speedy 512 NVME SSDs and 64 GB of DDR4 RAM, this model is perfect for creative workloads and applications that have high multi-threading requirements.

Comments

• I think this is insanely cheap for the performance.

Thanked by 2vimalware Hetzner_OL
  • Is the ECC upgrade worth it?
    Do you think setup feea will be waived for BF?

• if you live outside of the EU, can do you still have to pay VAT?

Thanked by 1isunbejo
  • @hjlow no vat for customers outside EU

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL hjlow
  • williewillie Member
    edited October 2019

Nice! But:

• Yes I'd want ECC but I'd rather have 32GB ECC at the same price as 64GB non-ECC, than pay the price bump for 64GB non-ECC.

• I see there is an AX51 for 20 more euro, with 3700X and 2x1TB NVMe and ECC. It would be good to have a 3900X option (the 3900X shortage is mostly cleared up by now) or 3950X once those are out. 3600 to 3700X is not that big of a cpu upgrade.

• Generally this stuff should be priced competitively with the EX line and it would be nice if the available configurations were more similar. My own stuff is data intensive so I don't really need NVMe, or would be fine with a small NVMe for system stuff etc. I'd go for all-HDD instead. So I wish the configurator allowed dropping the NVMe, or (in the other direction) upgrading it or replacing it with high performance NVMe (not sure what the default is).

• Right now the ECC ram upgrade is 6 euro, and then it's another 14 euro to go to 2x1TB NVMe and 3700X. I guess that's reasonable in terms of hardware value, but again I don't find large NVMe that important. So I'd rather that the base AX51 stay with the smaller NVMe or allow downgrading it. NVMe is for highly active data like databases, and who really has a TB of that? HDD is still a lot more cost effective for large amounts of static data.

• I wonder if there will be a Finland deployment at some point.

Btw I just moved one of my smallish sqlite3 databases from SSD to tmpfs (ramdisk) on a buyvm slice and it makes a huge difference. Of course ramdisk means the data is lost if the box crashes, but that is ok for this particular db (it is a special purpose proxy cache). So if the update rate is not high and if I can get some kind of replication story together for persistent data, using that 64gb hetzner ram as a big tmpfs might be an interesting approach. Again big NVMe doesn't really come into it. It is limited by the ram size after all.

• I guess this is not overclockable lol
    but it's really a good price.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Great hardware and great prices, Hetzner always surprises.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @MikeA said:
    Great hardware and great prices, Hetzner always surprises.

Or surPRICES, amirite?

I'll show myself out.

• Just took one (nvme, no ecc)
    It's a beast :)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@angelius said:
    Just took one (nvme, no ecc)
    It's a beast :)

I got one of the 3700X. Guess it's time to replace the two last OVH servers I have in Europe.

• Can someone do smartctl and tell the make/model of the NVMe disks?

• Thank God they released this before the end of the month. Ample time to cancel some of my overpriced SSD servers from OVH and SYS. Hetzner simply does not cease to impress me.

Thanked by 2vimalware Hetzner_OL
  • Sunnyg, I like that AMD is getting some love, but these aren't THAT different from the EX line in terms of capabilities or pricing. That will change when the bigger processors (3900x, 3950x) are offered :).

• 3900x now pls!

• There is only one minus, with storage version You are getting only 2x2TB (EX42 has 2x4TB).

Thanked by 1graphic
  • I'm wondering EX42 and AX41 which is better for video encoding, anybody shares a geekbench score for ax41 plz,thank you

• @Archie said:
    I'm wondering EX42 and AX41 which is better for video encoding, anybody shares a geekbench score for ax41 plz,thank you

AX41 due to ryzen stats on encoding and also more cores.

• I hope there will be some BF discount's :)

• @Kodis said:
    I hope there will be some BF discount's :)

Hetzner BF is not more than free setup.

• @mrclown said:

@Archie said:
    I'm wondering EX42 and AX41 which is better for video encoding, anybody shares a geekbench score for ax41 plz,thank you

AX41 due to ryzen stats on encoding and also more cores.

EX42 vs AX41 by GeekBench v4:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/14502916?baseline=14861554

• Ponury_TypPonury_Typ Member
    edited October 2019

Motherf***ers! Now I know why I can't find any asrockrack motherboards for ryzen/threadripper in EU stores for my home lab -.- I can bet that Hetzner got them all, like pokemons ...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @graphic said:

@Kodis said:
    I hope there will be some BF discount's :)

Hetzner BF is not more than free setup.

Sad to hear this :) Would like to upgrade my old LT DEALS 1701.1 from online.net

• new AX line takes more time to deliver than usual?

• rick2610rick2610 Member
    edited November 2019

@roshan91 said:
    new AX line takes more time to deliver than usual?

Up top 7 workdays

https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Auftragsbearbeitung/en

Thanked by 2roshan91 Hetzner_OL
  • @rick2610 said:

@roshan91 said:

Up top 7 workdays

Well, its been more than 7 workdays now :/

• Great popularity. May not even need BF from Hetzner.

• @roshan91 said:

@rick2610 said:

@roshan91 said:

Up top 7 workdays

Well, its been more than 7 workdays now :/

When did you ordered?

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

roshan91 said: Well, its been more than 7 workdays now

Sorry to hear that. There has been a very high demand and I can assure you that our team is working at top speed to meet these orders as quickly as possible. If you'd like me to check on your order status, send me your order number/customer info in a PM. --Katie

• _Nic_Nic Member
    edited November 2019

@angelius said:
    @hjlow no vat for customers outside EU

++ 19%VAT for awesomely rich russians

• Any benchmark for this awesome AX41-NVMe ? Please?