Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN is down to 2 /8s left
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN is down to 2 /8s left

It seems ARIN now has only 2 /8s left. Which means they must announce Phase 3 of their IPv4 Countdown plan now. - https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_countdown.html

What this means is the long term is that the cheap IPs will be no more, the prices of IPv4 will increase more and more. So the ultracheap LEBs might disappear in the future.

Thanked by 2alterarch Maounique

Comments

• They're correcting their steering. It's really not going to have any immediate effects.

• We should just collect all the SEO ones back :P

• I sincerely hope ARIN/RIPE start cutting down on those who are not utilising spaces

Thanked by 2Hassan maverickp
  • @INIZ said:
    I sincerely hope ARIN/RIPE start cutting down on those who are not utilising spaces

They really aren't going to do that until stage 4.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@INIZ said:
    I sincerely hope ARIN/RIPE start cutting down on those who are not utilising spaces

My thoughts exactly.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited August 2013

If only the ISPs would get their heads out of their asses.

The only way to convince ISPs to switch to IPv6 in record time is to have a coalition of major web services providers (Google, Facebook, Rambler, Microsoft, Twitter, Amazon, Sina Weibo, Tencent, The Pirate Bay , e.g.) used by the majority of the Internet switch to IPv6 only causing customers to moan, but that doesn't seem likely since they probably won't be open to tossing away 2 weeks worth of profit.

• skaska Member
    edited August 2013

Switching to IPv6-only is not needed. As long as your ISP supports dual-stack and provides you with an IPv4(NAT)+IPv6 everything is fine. Which should be the case with ISPs in modern countries. Ofc, you then need a router/LAN that supports IPv6. Most ISP (if not all) in my region support IPv6. However, most users won't be able to use it since nobody wants to get a new router.

• Yup. @ska I'm one of those people. My ISP supports ipv6, but I can't be assed to go out and buy another router. Specially if I have no real initial need for it.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited August 2013

Ah man, only 33,554,432 IPv4 left now then :-)
    = 512x /16
    = 131,072x /24

It's not that bad, didn't they have 3x /8 1 or 2 years ago?

• skaska Member

@Tsume said:
    Yup. ska I'm one of those people. My ISP supports ipv6, but I can't be assed to go out and buy another router. Specially if I have no real initial need for it.

On a side note, LET does not even run on IPv6.

• Hopefully this news will discourage VPS providers from offering multiple IPv4 addresses automatically. If they want an offer to have 2+ IPv4 addresses, let the extras be via ticket. I'd gladly forego the secondary IPs I'm not using.

• @ska said:

That's Colocrossing for ya ;)

• There is a debate about changing the IPv4 price model from the current retarded system where small organizations subsidize big ones to a more sane model where the big guys actually pay their fair share, so hopefully that will help encourage conservation and reduce profiteering.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

Just invade AfriNIC and steal all of the African IPv4, it's not like they will ever use them. Problem solved and (c) Asterisk14.

• But they only have 2 /8's assigned to them. When ARIN hits 1 /8 left, IPv6 implementation will probably start becoming a major thing.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited August 2013

@Magiobiwan said:
    But they only have 2 /8's assigned to them. When ARIN hits 1 /8 left, IPv6 implementation will probably start becoming a major thing.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but my money is on IPv6 not being more or less universal until the very last possible moment. "The Internet" at large, factoring in CPE, etc . . ., isn't even remotely ready for a universal transition. To be honest, I would not be surprised if the Internet was a discombobulated mix of IPv6 and IPv4 networks that can't talk to each other (to some extent) for a period.

• jakejake Member

@ska said:

No point in doing so now imo... a lot of ISPs do not support IPv6 yet.

• I wonder how the US Department of Defense will switch their 12 IPv4 /8's to IPv6.

• To comment on the situation. ISP I use (SibirTelecom) has replied officially that they won't be considering providing IPv6 connectivity to their customers until at least 2017.

I will not be surprised if there are many ISPs that do follow the same policy, to wait until the last possible moment.

• jakejake Member
    edited August 2013

Do you guys think the remaining 2 /8's will last 4 years (until 2017 like @Master_Bo stated)?! I think it will last a couple years, and until IPv6 is fully rolled out it will be very hard for ISPs to receive new allocations. Expect higher IP pricing for providers, which result to less competitive LEB offers... IMO Customers should hold on to their cheap LEB's as the market will be totally different in a few years or less and won't be as competitive.

• @Master_Bo said:
    ISP I use (SibirTelecom) has replied officially that they won't be considering providing IPv6 connectivity to their customers until at least 2017.

Ouch, that's really bad. I guess you'll be tunneling, unless you have another option for your ISP?

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited August 2013

@jake said:
    Do you guys think the remaining 2 /8's will last 4 years

Not a chance in hell. On the other hand, many of the big ISPs are sitting on piles and piles of IPs, so ARIN runout and end-user runout will be two different things.

• @jake said:
    Do you guys think the remaining 2 /8's will last 4 years (until 2017 like Master_Bo stated)?! I think it will last a couple years, and until IPv6 is fully rolled out it will be very hard for ISPs to receive new allocations. Expect higher IP pricing for providers, which result to less competitive LEB offers... IMO Customers should hold on to their cheap LEB's as the market will be totally different in a few years or less and won't be as competitive.

Have you seen how fast the 3rd /8 lasted? Just check the times on ARIN.

• jakejake Member

@concerto49 said:
    Have you seen how fast the 3rd /8 lasted? Just check the times on ARIN.

I see...
    September 2012 - August 2013.

A little under a year for that /8.

• @Microlinux said:
    Ouch, that's really bad. I guess you'll be tunneling, unless you have another option for your ISP?

Yes, via something like HE. There are many ISPs down here, but those IPv6 ready are inferior in other aspects.

• @jake said:
    Expect higher IP pricing for providers, which result to less competitive LEB offers... IMO Customers should hold on to their cheap LEB's as the market will be totally different in a few years or less and won't be as competitive.

You don't get it. If the IPv4 price rises as you think, then your VPS provider will terminate you VPS or ask you to pay more for it. Just because you've got a $12 deal at the moment does not mean the provider is contractually bound to honour that price for the next 50 years! So don't buy now is my advice, buy one when you need it. That will save you money and the planet. Last thing we need is idiots sitting on the IPv4 and idleing their machines for next 10 years because they think they have a price lock in for life!

• skaska Member

@jake said:
    No point in doing so now imo... a lot of ISPs do not support IPv6 yet.

I guess that rather depends on the country you're coming from. And: why not let the user decide if he wants to use IPv6 or IPv4? Especially since LET is a tech-orientated forum.

• I hope they run of out IPv4 addresses soon, because this is beginning to feel like torture. End of world waiting to happen, instead it won't be the end of the world as many people think, but a beginning of a new, beautiful, world.

• Hmm hope the price wont get up

• @setupvps said:
    Hmm hope the price wont get up

Should be cheaper as there are trillions of IPv6, but maybe the prices will be higher as many of the LEB providers may have gone to the wall with the rising IPv4 and there may be only a few players left operating a price fixing LEB cartel.

This discussion has been closed.