Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN is down to 2 /8s left - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN is down to 2 /8s left

Comments

• @Microlinux said:
    The transition is not just a matter of "deciding" to make the switch, there are real technical obstacles yet to be worked out for the vast majority of end-users.

Exactly. And it this will probably only happen when there's hardly an IPv4 address left.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Nope, it wont happen even then, only when the cost of IPv4 will pass the cost of implementing IPv6 and that will not happen any time soon. I expect the big corporations to have no issue with IPv4 at 5-10 Eur a piece, they dont need many anyway, so, even 100 Eur a piece will be cheaper than switching routers, implementing firewalls, giving IPv6 to LAN computers, etc. Look what happens in japan, APNIC run out of IPv4 long ago, but the ipv6 is not moving forward, even if japan is not an undeveloped country.
    In the end only the small ppl are losing, therefore there is no need to make any change for now.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

ipv7 IP Address: 24A.25B.26C

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    ipv7 IP Address: 24A.25B.26C

>

How to use the ipv7?

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Not usable for public. this is under experiment(maybe this project will be closed If everyone use ipv6)

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Oh please. I'm waiting until IPv12, with it's 2048-bit numbers. After all, wouldn't want THIS to happen:

Thanked by 2mpkossen Droidzone
  • asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

@Magiobiwan said:
    Oh please. I'm waiting until IPv12, with it's 2048-bit numbers. After all, wouldn't want THIS to happen:

I don't get it.

Stay with IPv4, IPv6 addresses are too hard to remember.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@asterisk14 said:
    I don't get it.

They are way harder to remember than they need to be.

• I find 2001:1234::feed:dead:beef:face to be pretty easy to remember.

• @Magiobiwan said:
    I find 2001:1234::feed:dead:beef:face to be pretty easy to remember.

Agreed.

but 2001:8f71:ae90:dd0e:1c91:fccc is not that easy.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2013

I don't remember even IPv4 addresses so what difference does it make? There's a reason why we use domains ;-)

Thanked by 1c0y
  • This is too bad. :/

• Will our home routers have IPv6 address to access them too, instead of 192.168.x.x?

• @asterisk14 said:

>

@jbiloh
    They are way harder to remember than they need to be.

IP addresses weren't designed to be remembered. Otherwise we wouldn't be needing domain names.

• skaska Member

@asterisk14 said:
    Will our home routers have IPv6 address to access them too, instead of 192.168.x.x?

That depends on the set-up of your router.

I set my router to automatically give IPv6 to all devices inside. This is one of the major IPv6 advantage, to have non-nated access to internet. I make sure to disable ipv6 on windows machines inside, though.

• Depends on Windows version, the firewalls in 7/8/2012/2008 R2/ are very secure and so is the OS in general, too much bitchin about Windows in the last time ;-)

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@Rallias said:
    They really aren't going to do that until stage 4.

I can speak from personal experience that they are starting to crack down REALLY HARD. Seems to be limited to the bigger providers right now who in turn are twisting the screws on guys like me. I just had to cancel a couple servers with one big provider because they wouldn't give me any IP's without a rectal exam (figuratively speaking).

I spent several days doing the justificaton paperwork they were demanding and finally just said forget it. Found some servers with some smaller guys who didn't give me any grief. Didn't have these problems with this big provider a few months ago.

So far it seems the ISP's are still in no hurry to roll out IP6 so it's going to continue to be a chicken and egg situation.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited August 2013

@sman said:
    Well I can speak from personal experience that they are cracking down REALLY HARD. Seems to be limited to the bigger providers out there who in turn are twisting the screws on guys like me. I just had to cancel a couple server with one big provider because they wouldn't give me any IP's without a rectal exam (figuratively speaking).

IP allocations aren't truly difficult to get yet. Process is literally the same between stage 2 and stage 3. Maybe larger providers with really big allocations are having a harder time with it, but I have yet to really notice any slowdowns. ARIN is inquiring a bit more on things like /25's or larger, and in some cases /26's get questioned as well, but all seems normal outside of that.

• All i need to say is still some UK ISP's are refusing to allow ipv6, I.E Virgin Media ADSL lines often do not have ipv6 an virgin refuse to allocate any ipv6 address to customer.

So not as wide scale as it should be. So a complete move to ipv6 wouldn't mean ipv4 is dead just means no more ipv4 growth, So no worrys about oh damn means all my ipv4 would be delete, No cos if that was case they would delete whole pool an start re-allocating ipv4.

@William said:
    Depends on Windows version, the firewalls in 7/8/2012/2008 R2/ are very secure and so is the OS in general, too much bitchin about Windows in the last time ;-)

I am one of the people that said MS took a lot of steps in the right direction, I use windows myself, I even have it licensed, but you do not have control over it, you may never know when it decides to leave some component listen to the internet, instead of trying to keep up with it and be sure i plug all holes, better use one router to make it sure no outbound connections can be made.

• @VPSSimon - Sky ISP are not too fussed either. There were many people that asked about IPv6 following Sky's purchase of O2 BB and their reply was pretty much 'don't know when IPv6 will be available'.

@mpkossen @Spirit - some of us do have the grey matter to be able to remember IPv4 and I don't have a domain name for my router IPv4 :-)

Not really bothered about it, if the problem was that acute then it would be all over the TV, being replayed continuously like those lies about the Syrian government using chemical weapons. Since it's not on the news, it means the problem is many years away.

• @asterisk14 said:
    mpkossen Spirit - some of us do have the grey matter to be able to remember IPv4 and I don't have a domain name for my router IPv4 :-)

That wasn't my point: I said IP addresses were not designed to be remembered. The fact that people remember them is a whole different issue. A blender wasn't designed to blend cell phones, yet people still do it anyway.

• ARIN goes down to 1.84 now.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

@mpkossen said:
    A blender wasn't designed to blend cell phones, yet people still do it anyway.

You must be from the US, only someone really stupid would blend their phone!

@Jeffrey - your fried @GHSJade recently reduced his signature down, you don't really need 5 lines do you? Put it all on 1 line and stop wasting my bits!

• @asterisk14 said:
    You must be from the US, only someone really stupid would blend their phone!

lol! But again, you're not exactly reading what I'm saying or you're just trolling.

• @INIZ said:
    I sincerely hope ARIN/RIPE start cutting down on those who are not utilising spaces

Never going to happen. In a year we will see providers rolling out IPv6 more activly as they run out of IPv4. In Europe many cable/dsl ISPs are rolling out these changes this year and next year. IPv4 will be a premium product for a long time to come.

• Less than 3 months since ARIN entered the Phase 3 of their ipv4 countdown plan, and more than 1/3 of a /8 was handed out.

Anyone want to bet how long before they burn the whole /8 and enter Phase 4?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2013

MS paid $10+ an IP a couple of years ago... http://slashdot.org/story/11/03/24/2047258/microsoft-buys-666000-ip-addresses

I can't see too much rug pulling for people under utilising IPs... there's so many angles where it'd be at odds with the supposed democratic nature of the web, i.e. why question someone's use of IPs when there's a billion other people who should receive the same scrutiny. Wishful thinking maybe, and there are probably edge cases where some entities have large blocks that could be reassigned.

IMO, get all of China's IPs back, they're all stuck behind a huge firewall anyway... ... 1 IP is good enough for them ;o)

This discussion has been closed.