Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• Adding plugins like
    Cloudflare
    Jetbackup

will be a plus one.

And better to have ClamAV in GUI as well.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited July 2019

Kwoon said: What is the minimum amount of RAM suggested to run DA?
    From their demo I can see it uses about 200MB of ram (mysql not included, I don't know why)

From one of my 512 slices on a near fresh install with a couple accounts
    KiB Mem : 504196 total, 42084 free, 128828 used, 333284 buff/cache
    KiB Swap: 524284 total, 416020 free, 108264 used. 356476 avail Mem

BuyVM recommends 1GB, and I probably would too once you start adding plugins and hosting 10+ sites.

• KrisKris Member

Francisco said: Is this going to be something opensource or something you're wanting to keep in one of the families?

Either or.

Ideally open-source, I'm just pissed. I'll spend some time here and there when I can trying to skin things and if easy enough code some plugins.

cPanel has screwed this up. Nick was releasing my open source Mod Security 1.x rules developed while at HostDime from tailing error logs at the first HostingCon, long before they had any rulesets or vendors... Stuff like the Fantastico exploits come to mind.

Been working with it since 2001, but this is the end. Things haven't ever gotten better since Benny came on, they just rammed decisions down our throats and she was the mouth-piece. Never took on community input from the beta community.

I wonder if the survey she sent will make any true difference.

• KrisKris Member

MikePT said: If you could build a very similar skin for DA it would be awesome! ๐Ÿ˜

I polished that turd into what you basically knew as the x-skin.

Hopefully can re-create it for DA.

I coded that skin working HostDime. CPanel gave HD deep discounts as one of their repos was in our DimeNoc data center, so I never really got credit, and the skin eventually got cleaner and more ajax-ey, but that was essentially the origin of x-skin.

Thanked by 2MikePT AndrewSSD
  • emghemgh Member

@Hetzner_OL include DA with the cloud line and I would be really really really fucking happy

• LeeLee Veteran

emgh said: @Hetzner_OL include DA with the cloud line and I would be really really really fucking happy

Would be a killer addition for sure.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • JorboxJorbox Member

They changed from Free updates to 99$/year updates for the lifetime license.
    so nothing will keep them away from doing the same thing that cPanel did before and change the price !

• JorboxJorbox Member

We shouldn't fail in the same mistake, They just control us !

• @Jorbox said:
    We shouldn't fail in the same mistake, They just control us !

Unless there is a fair competition in market with good choices, there is always this risk.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Jorbox said:
    so nothing will keep them away from doing the same thing that cPanel did before and change the price !

Yeah, but that change isn't unreasonable. Lifetime licenses are never sustainable long term. You can't rely only on new sales to keep supporting the product for another decade or longer.

In this case they gave everyone who bought before the cut off the same deal/no change. So it wasn't a price hike on existing customers, just a change in pricing for future purchases.

$99/yr for support & updates isn't unreasonable - compare that to cPanel's new forced monthly billing and the 100 account limit plan coming in at $540/yr.

Thanked by 2Limpan lazyt
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Jorbox said:

You need to consider how much strain they'll be under with this.

The old plan was a loss leader to promote itself against cPanel.

Them getting these changes out now so everyone has time to work with it is fair, especially if we're sitting here listing a million things we want them to adjust/improve.

We don't want them to get into a position where they have to price gouge in the future. Let them set a fair rate now and everyone is happy, and a much more likely chance they honor their price lock.

Francisco

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

@Harambe said:

@Jorbox said:

Yeah, but that change isn't unreasonable. Lifetime licenses are never sustainable long term. You can't rely only on new sales to keep supporting the product for another decade or longer.

In this case they gave everyone who bought before the cut off the same deal/no change. So it wasn't a price hike on existing customers, just a change in pricing for future purchases.

$99/yr for support & updates isn't unreasonable - compare that to cPanel's new forced monthly billing and the 100 account limit plan coming in at $540/yr.

^^ This, plus on top of that all the people who have lifetime keys from before this we have more than I can count there is no change and they're sticking to no extra $99 per year for future upgrades. This is in my books golden.

We had owned WHMCS keys and it used to be the same way which now they forced the yearly update costs. Which I am not complaining about it's needed for being able to update everything without going broke.

• Francisco said:

I'll do an official annoucement, but we'll do $0.12/month per account on resellers. No accounts will be included in the reseller price with additional slots sold in bundles of say, 5.

Francisco

Can you explain a bit more? No accounts will be included, and will have to buy accounts 5 at a time? What about existing customers that have already paid for the year?

@aaronstuder said:

Francisco said:

I'll do an official annoucement, but we'll do $0.12/month per account on resellers. No accounts will be included in the reseller price with additional slots sold in bundles of say, 5.

Francisco

Can you explain a bit more? No accounts will be included, and will have to buy accounts 5 at a time? What about existing customers that have already paid for the year?

I'll have to decide what happens with already paid up users.

More likely than not it'll hit at renewal and I eat it during that time.

Francisco

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Kris said:

MikePT said: If you could build a very similar skin for DA it would be awesome! ๐Ÿ˜

I polished that turd into what you basically knew as the x-skin.

Hopefully can re-create it for DA.

I coded that skin working HostDime. CPanel gave HD deep discounts as one of their repos was in our DimeNoc data center, so I never really got credit, and the skin eventually got cleaner and more ajax-ey, but that was essentially the origin of x-skin.

You did a terrific job. And you are the right guy to get this ball rolling!!!

Thanked by 1Kris
  • @Harambe said:

@Jorbox said:

Plus all those new features we've been requesting them that they've started developing already.

• JorboxJorbox Member

They have also locked moving the licences between accounts

• LeeLee Veteran

Jorbox said: They have also locked moving the licences between accounts

Sensible move for the reasons they stated.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Jorbox said:
    They have also locked moving the licences between accounts

They don't want to create a resale market for the licenses already in the wild. Makes sense to me.

You're looking at this like they're trying to price gouge, when they're just trying to ensure they have a future to develop stuff. A bunch of lifetime license sales this week don't help pay the bills to maintain it in 2, 3, 5 years. A resale market on a product that doesn't expire and they get no future revenue on is a nightmare.

I'm assuming there's a lot of lifetime licenses floating in the market.

As @PureVoltage said himself, he has "more than he can count", i'm sure they're not the only ones. I know of a few providers with 30 - 50 of them on hand too.

Francisco

Thanked by 1PureVoltage
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I have to say DirectAdmin support have been very good. Much more helpful than cPanel!!!!

The forum is great with lots of people helping.

Websites seem to be quicker using cloudlinux with open lite speed.

Looking forward to the new range of plugins...

would be great if WHMCS link was more like the cPanel one.

A few more tweaks, but Iโ€™m finding my way...

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • KrisKris Member

experttechit said: I have to say DirectAdmin support have been very good. Much more helpful than cPanel!!!!

That's an understatement.

Mark replied almost instantly and hooked it up beyond belief.

It's been quite a while since I coded, but I'll be creating a free DirectAdmin skin for end-users as soon as I get a chance to to read their guide and modifying Evolution likely which is a great starting point.

• roastroast Member

Awesome

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited July 2019

Kris said: experttechit said: I have to say DirectAdmin support have been very good. Much more helpful than cPanel!!!!

Mark replied almost instantly

Same here! One ticket has proven better support than maybe the past 50 replies made by cp on tweeter.

Happy with my decision :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Kris said:

experttechit said: I have to say DirectAdmin support have been very good. Much more helpful than cPanel!!!!

Mark replied almost instantly and hooked it up beyond belief.

It's been quite a while since I coded, but I'll be creating a free DirectAdmin skin for end-users as soon as I get a chance to to read their guide and modifying Evolution likely which is a great starting point.

You can do it Kris!

• Jorbox said: They changed from Free updates to 99$/year updates for the lifetime license.

they added EXTRA $99/yr for support and extension updates and that is OPTIONAL. At first, that was not even included in the Lifetime plan. Support was FREE for the first 90 days, now it is for 365 days (paid) - and again made OPTIONAL. So they're not squeezing money mandatory like what cPanel has done.

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

Jorbox said: We shouldn't fail in the same mistake, They just control us !

then develop a control panel for yourself is the only option for ALL.
    and Intel/AMD might also increase their processor prices so why not design and manufacture processors at home, dig a fiberoptic worldwide too, since ISP might bump the prices! -- this list can be long and un-ending!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • If only I could ever buy an 8 core slice to use DA on. ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค” The pizza guy needs to bake more because slices are always sold out. ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

• LeeLee Veteran

Am I just blind or was there a link to what DA was working to add/improve?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

Well, DA is working on a "Lite" license (scheduled to be released for August) that is most likely gonna have the same functionality but probably be limited user/ram wise.

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58091&page=5&p=296929#post296929

Thanked by 1Jorbox