Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you pay for VPS with legitimate residential IPs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you pay for VPS with legitimate residential IPs?

I'm curious what people would pay for a VPS of these specs below, but with a residential IP (no blockages).

Specification:
1. 1 IPv4
2. 45 GB Storage
3. 250 GB Bandwidth (not enforced)
4. Any windows or nix based OS
5. Cheap BGP fee ($5)

Located in Canada.

Comments

• Enough

Thanked by 1alegeek
  • donlidonli Member

$ 7.

• $3.50 if it's 2 x i9 vCores

• sanvitsanvit Member

How can you even do BGP in a residential line (and why would you, even if you could)?

• ITLabsITLabs Member

IPoAC enabled?

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

@sanvit said:
    How can you even do BGP in a residential line (and why would you, even if you could)?

Presumably it would be a business account from one of those last mile residential ISP's.

Imagine a server at somebody's house with a terrible (and expensive) "business internet" connection.

Or, they could just lease IP's from said provider (at very high cost), get an LOA to multihome it, and route the traffic over a proper reliable connection at a datacenter.

Of course, these aren't really residential IP's, but they are as close as you can realistically get and still do things like BGP.

From a customer perspective, Canadian residential IP's aren't as valuable as US residential IP's, so even if you were hosting this from Canada, if it were me designing this as a hosting product, it makes sense to just get IP's from a provider over the border, since the cost would be similar.

Thanked by 1taubin
  • Legitimate and residential ip in the same sentence.. heh

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

It will probably depend on how many IPs you can sell and how much legitimate they are.

probably $5-10 for the first few sales. Once they are proven to be legitimate, people will know and be willing to pay more. If they turn out to be every other legitimate IPs, well, don't start.

• What is the use of residential ips apart from things like netflix and illegal stuff?

• hjlowhjlow Member

@smallbibi said:
    What is the use of residential ips apart from things like netflix and illegal stuff?

is there anything more? :)

• @ramnet said:

@sanvit said:

Presumably it would be a business account from one of those last mile residential ISP's.

Imagine a server at somebody's house with a terrible (and expensive) "business internet" connection.

Or, they could just lease IP's from said provider (at very high cost), get an LOA to multihome it, and route the traffic over a proper reliable connection at a datacenter.

Of course, these aren't really residential IP's, but they are as close as you can realistically get and still do things like BGP.

From a customer perspective, Canadian residential IP's aren't as valuable as US residential IP's, so even if you were hosting this from Canada, if it were me designing this as a hosting product, it makes sense to just get IP's from a provider over the border, since the cost would be similar.

I don't know OP's provider, but Telus and Shaw's business accounts come from different IP pool than the residential ones. But I know Telus gives up to 5 IPv4 addresses on their biggest DSL packages in bridge mode. So it might be 5 IP'S for like $80/mo. Not sure how money can be made legitimately.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

nothing, I have one already and there are 101 already existing methods to achieve whatever benefit you can gain from having one in another country already.

That said the exception is being able to sell then in bulk so if you somehow have say a /19 or more of residential IP's you can probably sell them to gambling bot users and shoe buyers.

the problem with that exception is that they burn through them fast so unless you have a constant supply with enough free space to rest ranges for a while your business plan better have a good exit strategy within 12 - 18 months.

• williewillie Member

There are a few legit sites that I use that are obnoxious about blocking non-residential IP's, but wouldn't result in burning through them. That is a pain when I travel. I want to set up a server at home sometime so I can VPN through it.

• YuraYura Member

@willie said:
    There are a few legit sites that I use that are obnoxious about blocking non-residential IP's, but wouldn't result in burning through them. That is a pain when I travel. I want to set up a server at home sometime so I can VPN through it.

Set up openvpn on router this weekend? Just do it already and stop suffering

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Canadian Netflix used to be good, but last time I used it I was sorely disappointed.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

KuJoe said: Canadian Netflix used to be good, but last time I used it I was sorely disappointed.

Isn't that just netflix though? Given a lot of vendors are pulling content to put on their own platforms?

Francisco

• @KuJoe said:
    Canadian Netflix used to be good, but last time I used it I was sorely disappointed.

Only sorely disappointed?

More like dishearteningly bad.

• williewillie Member

Yura said: Set up openvpn on router this weekend? Just do it already and stop suffering

That's an idea. I have an early Beaglebone Black that I was going to use. Need to figure out where to get new firmware first, and how to flash it. It's a 2GB one running Angstrom, rather than the later Debian version.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

£0.

• @Clouvider said:
    £0.

£0? That’s worth like $100,000,000 CAD!

Thanked by 2switsys FHR
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@doghouch said:

@Clouvider said:
    £0.

Get me some of that boxed bottled IP's, please.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@doghouch said:

@Clouvider said:
    £0.

Get me some of that boxed bottled IP's, please.

Francisco

No can do -- some American dude just crossed the border and bought every last bottle.

Note: In around 2100 years, I will have more IPs available. When I do come back in stock, though, every /24 subnet I sell comes with a "Thank you" message bottled up. I use premium radioactive glass as well to deter anyone from opening it who isn't the intended recipient.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2019

Canadian rubles, we call it.

I am starting to believe Canada is only worth something because it's neighbored by USA.

Thanked by 2WSWD TheKiller
  • @deank said:
    Canadian rubles, we call it.

I am starting to believe Canada is only worth something because it's neighbored by USA.

That has been a well established fact for a while now, sir. Yet still - Canadia is awesome :-)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I wouldn't mind UK takes Canada in.

Having said that, I actually want that.

• @deank said:

Fuck that. We left them for good 70 years ago. They can keep Boris Trump.

• donlidonli Member

@TimboJones said:

@deank said:

You're ruled by the same people:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Canada

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2019

@TimboJones said:

@deank said:

Unlike the Americans, our education system still equips us with a working knowledge on politics and common sense. Therefore, it is safe to say that most Canadians know that neither the American Trump nor the British Trump are suitable for office.

Edit: It kind of sucks being glued (geographically) to the USA.

Edit #2: Boris Trump (ie. the UK) probably has 5x more IQ than the orange twat across our border.

• @doghouch said:

@TimboJones said:

@deank said:

Unlike the Americans, our education system still equips us with a working knowledge on politics and common sense. Therefore, it is safe to say that most Canadians know that neither the American Trump nor the British Trump are suitable for office.

Edit #2: Boris Trump (ie. the UK) probably has 5x more IQ than the orange twat across our border.

I'm Canadian, too. Growing up, longest unprotected border in the world was something we were proud of. Now, not so much and very well could end. That being said, I'm currently employed mostly by Americans at great pay, and that's mostly possible from FedEx overnight being available.

• @TimboJones said:

@doghouch said:

@TimboJones said:

@deank said:

I'm Canadian, too. Growing up, longest unprotected border in the world was something we were proud of. Now, not so much and very well could end. That being said, I'm currently employed mostly by Americans at great pay, and that's mostly possible from FedEx overnight being available.

I guess the biggest struggle is trying to maintain somewhat positive relations with the biggest dunce in North America.

Just like you said though — it was definitely nicer when you could just say “hello” across the border without getting an instant pat down.

On a somewhat unrelated note: which province are you from? I’m from Ontario myself :-)