Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows RDP not able to connect
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows RDP not able to connect

seenuseenu Member
edited December 2018 in General

I have a VirMach windows vps (grabbed recently)

i am able to connect to desktop using VNC

but if i use Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) it keep saying password is wrong, eventhough i enter correct credentials.

do we need to enable anything on server side to be able to use with RDP?

any help is appreciated.
thanks

Comments

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
  • Updates have been known to temporarily cause RDP issues. Hopefully VirMach's template has updates enabled and hopefully you'll install them.

• @HBAndrei thanks for the link but after following all steps, still it doesn't work.

@portspeed
    in VNC...there are no updates window, i am able to use chrome properly.

doing a restart will help?

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited November 2018

most likey "keyboard language" problem... check if you write your password correct with the eye icon in the password area

• Did you try ComputerName\Username?

Check security logs in event viewer for clue as to why this is happening.

Thanked by 2netomx dongne
  • akbakb Member
    edited November 2018

If you are logging via RDP as "Administrator" make sure your password meets the set requirements. I don't remember it exactly but it should be at least 8 characters, mixed case and must contain a special character.

Edit: The strict password policy (if enabled) probably applies to all users. If you wish to disable it, go to: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Account Policies (left tab) -> Password Policy. Then change the property of "Password must meet complex requirements" to disabled in the right tab.

• Hello,

i have checked password..it is same as what i have put and password met all requirements.

i tried with ComputerName\Username still it doesn't work :(

• @seenu said: i have checked password..it is same as what i have put and password met all requirements.

Try disabling the policy as I mentioned in my edited post and see if it works. If it still doesn't, just re-enable it back as the issue might be something else.

• sonicsonic Veteran
    edited November 2018

@seenu said:
    Hello,

i have checked password..it is same as what i have put and password met all requirements.

i tried with ComputerName\Username still it doesn't work :(

Use On-screen keyboard to type password.

• Also are you trying to login as "Administrator" or some other user? If its not "Administrator", make sure the user is added to the list of users allowed to use remote desktop (Control Panel -> System -> Remote Settings(left) -> Select Users)

• I have disabled policy.

still i can't login :(

• also, do we need to do anything in server manager?
    or both are un-related?

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep
    1. Try to turn off your VPS and remote to the IP. If it works -> Other VPS is reserving that IP for rdp, if it's not -> good, continue to step 2.
    2. Change your password to a more complex one: such as AbcD123$%^ and try again.
    3. Not working? Try to double check your keyboard layout vs VPS keyboard layout, those must be the same in order to have correct input.
    4. If you are copying password, make sure there are no spaces on it.

If your VPS is already responded to rdp request, you only need to make sure that the credentials are correct no further steps needed if there are no other error messages.

• @seenu said:
    also, do we need to do anything in server manager?
    or both are un-related?

Did you check security logs in event viewer?

• Sometimes wrong date/time on server can also cause this.

• I've recently setup a couple of Virmach KVMs, including both Linux Mint and Windows 2016. What I've found is that on first boot the VPS won't connect to the internet. I do a "Reconfigure Networking" on the Virmach control panel (fails for Windows, but who knows...) and then reboot the VPS. At that point it will connect to the internet.

A quick test to see if this is your problem. Using Virmach VNC, open a command line shell on your Windows VPS and try pinging a non-Virmach site. If it fails, then you're not routed properly. Try the above technique.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Open a ticket, they'll sort it out for you.

Thanked by 2eol VirMach
  • resell your vps quickly to someone else in a chinese board and charge a premium so you at least get something out of it...

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

seenu said: i tried with ComputerName\Username still it doesn't work

if it is admin, try:

Whatever\Administrator

That worked for me

• @netomx where have you been? hope life is good with you.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Falzo said:
    resell your vps quickly to someone else in a chinese board and charge a premium so you at least get something out of it...

Claim it is special XIYAN SHITWEASEL edition for faster sale.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

The login is always Administrator.

You can also try to reset your Administrator password, if it doesn't work just send a ticket.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

ehab said: where have you been? hope life is good with you.

too busy with life :( I hope to be back asap

• Hello,
    thanks everyone for responses.

i solved it...it was a problem with keyboards.

now i have a different problem,
    on my surface, i scale it by 250%

and on RDP... it has windows 2008 which doesn't have scaling option.

so everything looks so small
    hope @VirMach can re-install with windows 2012, as in re-install options, i don't see windows to do myself.

• You're too dumb to own a computer.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2018

Your Virmach vps is an unmanaged vps. All the issues here are not provider's related, but yours. Your thread's title seem like it's a Virmach's issue, but it is not. Using this title you bash the provider, even if you don't intend to.
    Windows 2008 can resize screen as all of windows versions. When you are opening the RDP client, BEFORE connection, go to advanced properties and set there your desired resolution.
    In a RDP session, the resolution is not handled by the machine's VGA (as in your laptop or desktop PC) but virtually from the RDP client.

Thanked by 2MikePT bakageta
  • weird. i thought some moderator closed this thread because of stupidity.

• smile said: weird. i thought some moderator closed this thread because of stupidity.

Lack of knowledge is not a stupidity.
    Noobies have to learn and the best way for that is asking people with more knowledge on the field. The only issue about the thread, is the title that is misleading and seem that provider has an issue with RDPs.

• @jvnadr said:

smile said: weird. i thought some moderator closed this thread because of stupidity.

Lack of knowledge is not a stupidity.
    Noobies have to learn and the best way for that is asking people with more knowledge on the field. The only issue about the thread, is the title that is misleading and seem that provider has an issue with RDPs.

... Fine. He's ignorant. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ignorant

• smile said: Fine. He's ignorant

Agree. So, why a mod should close the thread?

This discussion has been closed.