Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2018 - Official Discussion Thread - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2018 - Official Discussion Thread

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

FAT32 said: Don't forget ImpactVPS too @Awmusic12635 :)

andiklive said: i hope clouvider and impactvps come and play on cyber monday when everyone already spent on black friday :p

Well funny you mention that, I was actually just typing it up

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/153847/impact-vps-black-friday-nvme-kvm-double-credits-dallas-seattle#latest

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Nekki said:
    Nothing I could have done to change this BF. It’s being handled in a different way and there’s a degree of organisation and management being injected that doesn’t lend itself to the sort of insanity we’ve had the last couple of years.

I'm not sure that is so much centrally managed - for whatever reason every provider seems to have made up their own thread, perhaps because of the new category.
    Apart from that (category) and fat32's collection thread, there does not seem to be much "management", even thought it boils down to the result as you say: we are simply stretched too far out over various threads to have fun on one place.

• that was the appeal of last year, chaos reined so much so i was afraid to go to bed in case I missed out on a deal.

• imokimok Member
    edited November 2018

I'm really tempted to buy one of these NVMe servers from @SSDNodes, but annually... so hard to decide. Too risky.

https://www.ssdnodes.com/manage/cart.php?a=add&pid=192

• SSDNodesSSDNodes Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

@imok You can find more details about our new 10X KVM plans here: https://www.ssdnodes.com/black-friday-10x/

And an explanation on why it's amazing here (also going into more detail about the tech behind it): https://blog.ssdnodes.com/blog/ssdnodes-nvme-launch/

Also a benchmark: https://serverscope.io/trials/aODJ#system

• SSDNodes wrote:

And an explanation on why it's amazing here

Disk Read 6766 MB/s

That is kinda nice.

• @donli said:

SSDNodes wrote:

And an explanation on why it's amazing here

Disk Read 6766 MB/s

That is kinda nice.

Can this be real? Or empty node or RAM cache?

• NVMe RAID

• @southy said:

@Nekki said:
    Nothing I could have done to change this BF. It’s being handled in a different way and there’s a degree of organisation and management being injected that doesn’t lend itself to the sort of insanity we’ve had the last couple of years.

I'm not sure that is so much centrally managed - for whatever reason every provider seems to have made up their own thread, perhaps because of the new category.

That was the organisation/management (along with the prominent link to the category at the top of the page) that I alluded to, along with the messaging to providers to use the new category.

It’s subtle, but it shows a clear intent to be more organised this year.

• @Nekki said:

Yep.
    For more BF-spirit head over to the Virmach tread, he's playing it quite nicely: with his flash sales that change every x minutes, tension is kept up and people keep lurking around to see what's next.
    Clever concept.

This is right now where I would say we have the most BF spirit going so far.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • any more info on the KS flash sale? I dont want to miss it :/

• @southy said:

For more BF-spirit head over to the Virmach tread, he's playing it quite nicely: with his flash sales that change every x minutes, tension is kept up and people keep lurking around to see what's next.
    Clever concept.

I'm becoming convinced that VirMach isn't a hosting company but a psychological experiment and we are the rats in the Skinner box.

• @imok, I can't say anything about their current SSDNodes offer, because I haven't tested it, but previously they also claimed superb speed, though, it was so laggy, so slow, that even small 1vcpu/1gb boxes outperformed them. They were slow and often froze for few seconds. After complaining, they tried to "fix" it several times, but overall it helped only for few hours. I had multiple servers with them, in different locations, and all were slow as heck. I can't believe the "specs" and performance I was seeing. It's was a complete lie.

What's more, their attitude is awful. They changed ToS and claimed that their users are breaking ToS, stopping their machines and forcing to reinstall from templates. At the end, I simply left, leaving several hundreds of dollars in credit. Their actions and attitude are awful. In my opinion, they are worst provider. Will never deal with them again. But You are welcome to try.

Thanked by 1imok
  • @arthepsy I had a similar experience with the most expensive package, Virma. Support team was friendly but they actually did not fix anything. They refunded me and gave $10 in credits, though.

• @arthepsy I had a similar experience with the most expensive package, Virmach OVZ with 2 cores was faster. Support team was friendly but they actually did not fix anything. They refunded me and gave $10 in credits, though.

• At least You got a refund. I got some bullshit about breaking ToS and out-of-blue stopped servers. Good times. Lessons learned.

Thanked by 1imok
  • Did some napkin math before making any more impulse storage vps purchases.

I have 5150GB of (i) redundant (raid1/6) storage spread across cheapo dedis and existing storage vps.

(ii) I also have 3800 GB of non-redundant (noRaid/raid5) that's good for storing backups of (i).

utilization is low. Going to check out solutions like git-annex to Stuff things efficiently.

• @Nekki said:

@FAT32 said:

@lurch said:
    Where are the butt hurting, unsustainable, boss is going to drag you over hot coals limited random offers we enjoyed last year?

That would require the power of @Nekki, miss you Nekki

@Nekki Nah... Dont like it... miss the old party spirit...

Good luck All...

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • @Adam1 said:
    anyone seen any deals on .uk's ? (bulk)

Fasthosts.co.uk £1 and 1 free per client with BLKFRIFREEUK

Haven't checked any fine print though.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited November 2018

@WebGuru said:
    Dedi, VPS and Domains already in the bag now looking for an insane Reseller deal to replace my old Pageclick reseller.

Reseller Black Friday

15GB SSD Disk Storage
    Unlimited Add-on Domains
    Unmetered Monthly Transfer
    Free .COM Reg or Transfer
    £7.50/Year CODE: BF2018

Order Charlotte, USA

Also some domain promos:

Thanked by 1user123
  • @southy said:

@Nekki said:

Yep.
    Clever concept.

virmach vs LET be like:

Thanked by 3NanoG6 MikePT default
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Monsta_AU said:

@JoeMerit said:
    @AlexanderM need to get HOSTUS.US involved!

I'm so disappointed so far

We will be posting offers very soon :) !

Alexander

Thanked by 2pullangcubo Adam1
  • @AlexanderM said:

@Monsta_AU said:

@JoeMerit said:

Alexander

Give us a crazy offer on your reseller hosting with whmcs included please :P

Thanked by 1Adam1
  • Just to point out: 80% off 4 life at hostmantis.com on any shared or reseller plan when paid yearly with coupon BF2018 at checkout:

(Since they upgraded their plans, the -80% coupons at HostMantis have become much rarer. It's unclear how long this coupon will be good for. I can confirm that it worked around 12 hours ago. :smile: )

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2018

The VirMach thread definitely shows a lot of craziness!

I don't think that I have the right kind of brain to deal with "flash special for N minutes", so I missed all of those!

Thanked by 2Falzo eol
  • @AlexanderM said:

@Monsta_AU said:

@JoeMerit said:

Alexander

Singapore KVM please... and make it as cheap as possible!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2018

Well this BF has taught me 1 thing for sure, China is being blocked again.

Out of 15 refund requests (It is explicit that BF deals are not refundable) 15 if them have been from china, out of those that this reality pointed out to them so far 6 of them of opened a paypal claim for "damaged goods" or "unauthorized" which now means they have no service or money.

I must have spend 5 hours none stop dealing with tickets from China requesting info that has already been spelled out in great detail.

Clearly Inception Hosting and China are simply incompatible the language barrier is simply to great.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2018

Any recommendations for small annually KVMs? Less than 10$.

• @angstrom said:
    Just to point out: 80% off 4 life at hostmantis.com on any shared or reseller plan when paid yearly with coupon BF2018 at checkout:

(Since they upgraded their plans, the -80% coupons at HostMantis have become much rarer. It's unclear how long this coupon will be good for. I can confirm that it worked around 12 hours ago. :smile: )

for reseller its good to buy 2x Starter than 1x Expert. is there any diff limitation on that plans? thanks