Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm new, but I want to play a guessing game
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm new, but I want to play a guessing game

mmexpertmmexpert Member
edited April 2018 in Reviews

Hey guys. I'm new to LET, but I've bought deals on LEB occasionally, and wanted to do a review, but wanted to see if you guys could guess who it is based on problems. I read through the community rules and don't think I'm breaking anything, but if I'm wrong, please lock me up and throw away the key. I mean, I bought from them because of LEB, and had a sense of some legitimacy because of that. Should have done a bit more research.

Okay, I bought reseller hosting. The offer was amazing. Had to at least try it out, right? Well, I never tried it out, and they had a new year deal for a cloud pool (probably gave it away right there, but read on, I'm sure this can be enjoyed.)

I can create my own VPS in several different data centers at will. Sweet. Especially at the sweet sweet yearly price I was offered. Let's dive into the support tickets. Not all of them, just the fun ones.

Okay, the first ticket? Fix my reseller account. I paid for the double offer, and didn't get it. They replied, you don't have the double offer would you like to buy it? So, I sent them my receipt and invoice showing that in fact that I paid for it. Got part of it done. Throughought just under a dozen back and forth, was able to get what I paid for enabled on the reseller hosting.

Next ticket. Cloud pool VPS. I created a test box to see how creating it worked. Worked pretty smooth. But, then you can't delete it. There was no way for me to delete it (at the time) so I had to open a ticket for that. Not too big of a deal so far. Timely response, and they did update the UI so I don't have to open a ticket. Really, not too bad so far.

Next, VPS server I created next, becomes unreachable a couple of days later. A couple of hours later, he replaces the IP address with a new one. Not a big deal, hadn't set anything up, back to business. Annoying, but no biggie.

Next, I want to set up some east coast servers for lowest latency for an EU project (they only offer US hosts right now). I create the boxes, and cannot connect to them. Their east coast boxes, appear to set up, assign IP addresses, but are unreachable. After back and forth with tech, I'm finally told, their east coast nodes can't have VPS set up now because of problems. The entire offer for these cloud resources is so that I can set up a box in different datacenters on demand. They say they fix it for me, and I tracert it before I noticed node location in solus, and it takes me to west coast. 6 days later, they've finally enabled the east coast node again and I can create a box.

Next ticket. Both east coast boxes are down. Control panel shows them offline. I cannot start them manually. I open a ticket, and they're clueless that their entire east coast node is offline. However, they're able to start it back up. Blame an offending box that has been removed, and promise it will never happen again.

I really need to test out the reseller hosting for low priority sites to see if I can move them over from my existing shared hosting. I set up a test domain. And.... nothing. WHM isn't assigning an IP address to the domain, it does during set up, but shows unknown under status, cannot reach it by the ip/~username or by the domain. Cannot create a package to make it work. Nothing, cannot add a domain to even test it out. They add a test domain, and theirs also doesn't work. Within a few hours though, they finally have it working. Maybe I just got a bad account, because how can the server load be 24 on an 8 core system if no one can use it right?

Ticket about server load. 24 on 8 core, not so hot. They do something and bring it back under 10. I just checked right now and load is Load Averages: 18.36 17.33 18.08. Not near as bad as it has been. But for 8 cores, that blows. But it's shared. It's cheap. I know what I paid for.

Now here is when I absolutely lost my shit. This happened last night. On one of the boxes I set up, I am hosting a domain. It makes me decent ad money, nothing crazy, but I can pull in $50 a month on the service I offer with the ads on it. Now, it long outgrew shared hosting. So I have it on one of my cloud VPS boxes, and it's been okay. Sometimes the server response is a little slow, but really, better than I've had it before, and certainly much cheaper than say paying $5 a month for a DO instance (and technically I have much more resources allotted to it) I have the domain set up, I've got my cname's my a records, you know? It's been going for over a month with just some minor issues. Even the uptime has been great.

Then last night, I get a text message alert the host is down. Okay. ping? nope. ssh. Nothing, it's dead. I check the control panel. Says it's online. I tried a control panel reboot, which gave confirmation that it worked, but still nothing. I open a ticket.

Don't get me wrong though, within 30 minutes, I get a response. For a low end box, I don't think that's too bad. Being unreachable blows, but really, the response times, for the most part, aren't that big of a deal.

Now, they respond and say, well, the IP is in conflict. I removed it, and added a new one. The box is now reachable.

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT

Are you kidding me? This is the box I have a domain on. You want me to update my nameservers because you gave the ip out to another box accidentally? Fuck off. **

Okay, so you guys all know who it is.

Now, the only thing about this is, in the rules, they're listed that I can't talk about them. So I guess you guys can't either. Damn I got burned by these guys and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So, we can't say their name. But, damn it. How are they even still in business? It makes me want to overpay for like aws or something just don't I don't have to deal with shit companies. They give ALL low end box a bad name when they do shit like this.

The bad thing is, is I was finding out, that they run a bunch of other companies too. Instead of not being able to talk about them, they should be stickies warnings about the scum.

edit to try and add some bold. TLDR, it's a shit show over at you know who.

Thanked by 1dahartigan

Comments

• Your post is like... a thousand words.

Eeeek!

Thanked by 2dedicados default
  • xaocxaoc Member
    edited April 2018

so like w00t h0st1ng?

mod fixed^ -

gratitude!

Thanked by 2mmexpert Wolveix
  • mmexpertmmexpert Member
    edited April 2018

@doghouch said:
    Your post is like... a thousand words.

Eeeek!

Sorry, it's a review / story of my life?

@xaoc said:
    so like w00t h0st1ng?

FFS we're all getting bans now.

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • xaocxaoc Member

Their offers have been removed from LEB a while ago. I wouldn`t run anything besides an irc bouncer on those boxes anyways.

• @xaoc said:
    Their offers have been removed from LEB a while ago. I wouldn`t run anything besides an irc bouncer on those boxes anyways.

I know. But see, I bought it a long time ago. Just thought maybe someone would appreciate that they're not the only one that goes to bed crying from people like this.

• xaocxaoc Member

@mmexpert said:

@xaoc said:

I know. But see, I bought it a long time ago. Just thought maybe someone would appreciate that they're not the only one that goes to bed crying from people like this.

Well, my bouncer has been pretty stable so i haven`t been crying(yet). :D

Thanked by 1mmexpert
  • 25.65 23.96 22.70

Updated. That didn't take long.

• xaocxaoc Member

@mmexpert said:

25.65 23.96 22.70

Updated. That didn't take long.

For that price still looks kinda good xD

• donlidonli Member

How are they even still in business?

They are cheap enough that people will still go with them and when things don't work out most people will write off the small amount they spent and move on.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

The money you paid for this was likely not even worth the time you spent writing this post, the spectrum of availability between w00t h0st1ng and Amazon in terms of price literally gives you the option of almost EVERY other host, the game of extremes is... well extreme.

Give it the 3 month rule, do you honestly think you will give a shit in 3 months, if not its not worth caring now, move on.

• imokimok Member

@mmexpert said:
    Fix my reseller account. I paid for the double offer

This, and the "thanked by" @dahartigan were enough to know you were writing about w00t h0st1ng

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

If he still gives shit after 3 months, he has issues, and yeah, I see where this shit is going.

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited April 2018

The provider in question (w00t h0571n9) has been caught shilling from ip addresses used by their own staff. They also have provided shit services that ended up with an "at least it's cheap" review, driving more traffic towards their website because everyone wanted the "cheap" part of it.

As a last resort any discussion about them has been banned (at least by directly naming them - using 1337speak is fine), and all offers have been removed from LEB.

When you see an 8-thread (4 core) box at 25+ load, run. Run fast. Don't look back.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • wtf

• CoreyCorey Member

wow

• Wall of text

• any TLDR;

Besides of the wall of text which I read only 3 lines of, I don't wanna hear anything from "experts".

• @deank said:
    Besides of the wall of text which I read only 3 lines of, I don't wanna hear anything from "experts".

There are "experts" among us now?

• donlidonli Member

@AuroraZ said:

There are "experts" among us now?

Yes, but they're low end (well except for maybe William).

edited April 2018

I am Dean, an expert loser.

We here all are an expert of some sort.

• @warrior said:
    any TLDR;

w00th0st1ng still sucks.

• pikepike Veteran

I dont get the point of getting shared webhosting if you go with a shithouse provider. Isn't the idea of shared hosting to give all management headaches to someone you trust, so you don't have to think about this yourself? Might be worth to do some research next time...

Researching takes efforts and concentration.

Venting anger later is much more satisfactory to the user as well as us (to laugh at).

• Since I sometimes read the emails with the subject: Re: made it so much better for you and Re: Did you see this amazing.., I didn't have any problem in guessing the provider correctly.

All I wish is that someone @ w00t h0571n9 put in some more creativity into their email subjects. (I could unsubscribe, but then I can put up with 2-3 emails like this a week just to have a good laugh.) The same product is offered as a limited special for months together. I guess "limited" and "special" have different meaning in their universe.

Lastly, Why do all their emails start with "Re:"? Does it really fool spam engines into thinking this is part of a long email chain?

• @dedicados said:
    wtf

more like WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT

• warriorwarrior Member
    edited April 2018

@teamacc said:

@warrior said:
    any TLDR;

w00th0st1ng still sucks.

another w00thosting and alpharacks story.

when they buy via LEB and complain at LET huh, classic!

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited April 2018

tl;dr: I guess potato. Is it potato?

PS: Sorry for being a dick, but i had to. I'll read it within the next 48 hours and most likely i'll have nothing of value to add.

Thanked by 1mksh

in 48 hours. this may be off the top page and will be in the forgotten land.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@warrior said:

@teamacc said:

@warrior said:
    any TLDR;

w00th0st1ng still sucks.

another w00thosting and alpharacks story.

when they buy via LEB and complain at LET huh, classic!

I've just checked my AlphaRacks Master Reseller $6/y special. I'm impressed. Disk is only 90% full and load is 3.45 (8 cpu)