Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A fishy provider that actually succeeded?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A fishy provider that actually succeeded?

yowmamasitayowmamasita Member
edited February 2012 in Providers

Ive been reading posts and comments about you guys being against the action of more restrictive rules. So I just wanna know, are there hosts that had bad first impression or just too fishy to trust, but then they proved you all wrong.

Comments

• I've heard they have their own website now, but apparently they just copied someone else's theme.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

IPA.. wait, they're dead.

Thanked by 2DeletedUser tux
  • A lot of you might not know this... but Frantech use to host eAthena.ws & it's community, and during those times; he did a lot of running because of unpaid bills and such. Legal documents were flying all over the community describing his actions.

Good to see he finally made it.

• When buyvm(not frantech) was first listed on LEB with ther 15$/year plan it really looked like a "too good to be true" offer. I can remember lot of people calling them scammers back that time. But now they are one of the best providers on LEB. :)

• @Christian said: But now they are one of the best providers on LEB. :)

Nah nah, scammers xD

I have been here like one year only, so, I don't have enough experience =P

• @DotVPS said: Before i took over :)

So you're daimonb?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@draco said: So you're daimonb?

Nope, he is not. DotVPS is Jack.

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited February 2012

@AsuraHosting said: A lot of you might not know this... but Frantech use to host eAthena.ws & it's community, and during those times; he did a lot of running because of unpaid bills and such. Legal documents were flying all over the community describing his actions.

Have you seen this old streaming video from steadfast DC camera when Jason with some mexican guy confiscating HDDs from Fran? Those were the days. rofl :)

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • @Heinz said: Have you seen this old streaming video from steadfast DC camera when Jason with some mexican guy confiscating HDDs from Fran?

No, unfortunately I have not... LOL.

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited February 2012

There was dispute between Jason from VerityNet who hosted frantech and Fran because unpaid bills so one day Jason visited DC with some mexican guy to put in bag all HDDs from Fran to keep them as hostage till Fran paid bills. Everything was recorded by DC camera and became public. Laugh. Maybe someone from eAthena still have this funny video?

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • @Heinz said: one day Jason visited DC with some mexican guy to put in bag all HDDs from Fran to keep them as hostage till Fran paid bills.

LOL, I heard about this; I never knew about the video though.

• I'd love to see that video...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@AsuraHosting said: A lot of you might not know this... but Frantech use to host eAthena.ws & it's community, and during those times; he did a lot of running because of unpaid bills and such. Legal documents were flying all over the community describing his actions.

Um?

Jason never paid his and had a strong future with steadfast with that very act. We stayed with Steadfast for an extra year after the drama with him and only pulled to the west coast due to our users being 90% asia based. 250ms pings ingame isn't a great latency for them. Jason was given $6k by us extra even after we had paid for a 2nd rack for him in full. If you check on WHT you'll see there's lots of threads after the fact where he had multi day outages for not paying his own bills.

When we were in Alphared he also had me cover one of his months of service as Frantech was TINY at the time, only had 3 Q6600's to do some EA hosting. We were pulling in less than $700/m but that was good for XEN on 8GB boxes :) Jason had a bread winner customer that was threatening to leave unless he got a better network as AlphaRed was purely HEAVILY oversold/overloaded cogent. In the end, Jason hired a good friend of mine to drive all the way down from Ohio to Texas to grab things and bring it to Steadfast.

If you really want to find out about Jason, talk to the "CentralHost" dude on WHT. He dropped $10,000 into Jason after we left and got screwed out of every dime. I feel sorry for the guy but he was able to pull out of that mess as well. In the end Jason moved to some place that had racks in GNAX and Jason owes him $20,000.

You're welcome to go ask RapidXEN/SystemInPlace as well who ended up trying to buy their assets , but said screw that and simply rolled a new site that forwards to themselves. You can also go ask Karl about Jason and i'm sure he'll give that full story as well.

Infact, he owes one of his staffers fathers something like $8,000 as he paid out the Steadfast bill + moving costs for him to get to the Georgia based location. In the end the guy took all of Jason's domains (hense how rapidxen now works with him for the domain). On top of even that he owes the owner of awknet (the original owner of veritynet) lord knows how much.

We've never tried to hide any of the bullshit that happened during those times, the threads are still on eathena. We didn't hide any posts, trim any threads or any of that because hey, it happened and we saw no reason to try to cover it up.

We got out of there and had to start from square 1 afterwards. It was hell and really, Portland was probably worse. At least with Steadfast they were a well run datacenter and honored any SLA's we would put in.

We actually never contacted LEB to get listed on the site which is the funny part, he found us by following the VPS offers part of WHT.

It's a train wreck we parked in the garage and just built a new on the BuyVM brand. Frantech has a following of people that require way too much hand holding. The prices Frantech charges just doesn't cover the amount of support a lot of those people require. Some day i'll bring the brand back as a higher priced fully managed deal, but not at the price tags listed on the site right now - that's for sure.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r yowmamasita

@BlueVM said: I'd love to see that video...

The videos gone alas, it was pretty shocking. The datacenter, including equinix, had a major security revamp afterwards because gear is not allowed to be removed from the premiss w/o prior notice (same thing at coresite).

I might have it still stuck on an old drive of mine but I think that was 1 - 2 formats ago :(

Francisco

• No Pic/Vid = HOAX

kidding :P

thanks for sharing. now i know the truth.

• tl;dr, seems convincing though from the size of it.

• @Francisco - Seems like we both have had our share of horrible partners who can't get their **** together and do business.

@BlueVM said: @Francisco - Seems like we both have had our share of horrible partners who can't get their **** together and do business.

You know what the worst part is? Jason was actually a pretty nice guy. What ended up ruining things was he started reselling my VM's to his users and he paid me back every month. Virtuozzo didn't have any sort of bandwidth limiters in it so a customer of his got on some cheap $5/m plan, rimmed out a 600mbit ddos for a few days and ran up a $3,000 bill.

Jason's only proof was that it came from my port, but all of my users were ragnarok online customers that we heald the hands for so I knew for a fact it wasn't them. Hell, the majority of our customers didn't even know their root passwords, they were given FTP's to upload things to.

When we got to Portland he owed steadfast $3000 again (this is like a year after the fact). He called me up and asked if I'd do him a huge favor and settle out the bill for him as his users were all down. I said no, of course, and I never heard from him again.

Francisco

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited February 2012

@Francisco come on bud. Jason was failure with big dreams but this doesn't mean that you didn't own him some money, but not that much as he demanded as you confimed that in past. So who cares about sad Jasons story. All this text about Jason, Jason and again only Jason... you're master of manipulation and you did it again! :) Kudos to you - you're unbeatable in this. You owed him! Not that much as he said? He was in debths with all others? Fine! But you owed him! You personally stated that - but with lower number than his was.

• @Francisco, I'm just stating what I read in the past when they discussed it on eA; It was years ago.

@Heinz said: @Francisco come on bud. Jason was failure with big dreams but this doesn't mean that you didn't own him some money, but not that much as he demanded as even you confimed that. So who cares about sad Jasons story. All this text about Jason, Jason and again only Jason... you're master of manipulation and you did it again! :)

So where's the manipulation then? He wasn't due anything, he simply caught us before we had got a new rack up. He tried to enforce some wacky policies about i have to give 2 months notice to him and he tried to back track 8 months of payments claiming 'he was giving me a discount but now that you're leaving i'm back dating everything to full price'. I'm sorry, but if I give a price to someone, you honor it and you can agree to that.

Read my 2nd post about where the sudden 'you owe me tons of cash' thing came from.

You like to play it off like you're reserving yourself, yet you have no problems using our service so we really can't be as terrible as you like to play off. :)

Francisco

@AsuraHosting said: @Francisco, I'm just stating what I read in the past when they discussed it on eA; It was years ago.

That's perfectly fine, we're not scared of the BS that has happened to us. If anything, it just shows that we're determined :) We got bit a lot of times, but we changed the way we do a lot of business.

Francisco

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited February 2012

No, no, no, no... it was to some people here unknown story about frantech not some Jason. But master of words as you are you turned this into Jasons story and his debths to others. He owed to many people but you owed to him. Some money. And now it looks like and people actually believe that he was some terrible guy and you his victim :) He was just a dreamer and uncapable businessman screwed up from many people.

Then that means you never read my 2nd post :)

When you do, we can talk.

Francisco

• You personally said in past that you don't own him THAT MUCH as he demand. That you owe him but not that much as he claim. But never mind, let it be as you say as this really isn't relevant fur present and you run good business now.

@Heinz said: You personally said in past that you don't own him THAT MUCH as he demand. That you owe him but not that much as he claim. But never mind, let it be as you say as this really isn't relevant fur present and you run good business now.

We owed him a pro-rate but we weren't out of the rack yet, so it wasn't like we'd be able to move without him clearing it no? :) The 1st rack was in his name so any sort of moving/etc required his signoff (of course). Steadfast bills bandwidth overages a week or so after a persons monthly is due (not sure why it isn't consolidated, it's some wacky ubersmith thing). We were settled up for our recurring stuff, but the BW was in dispute (see post #2 for the 9th time).

'due' isn't really the right word I guess since Jason usually sent invoices quite early in the month for the following month (like 2 weeks ahead? something like that).

It was a mess and a lot of people got screwed :(

Francisco

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

There was another moment in Frantech.ca era. Portland. Don't crucify me Francisco but I always wanted to ask :-)
    What exactly was business relationship between you and good ole' directspace Ed? I don't have basic clue but I got impression like he gave you food, roof and Frantech.ca connectivity in return to be his janitor, main and only support tech guy, servant and all in between :) How much of this is true?
    And then came freeeeeedoooom...........

Actually all of it.

When I started there I was actually getting a proper wage and I worked really hard to get them going. Do you remember their cpanel offerings? Those were put together by me. The whole pricing structure was one of my saved away business plans that I was planning to run one day, but I wanted to help them grow so I gave it to them.

I had a wage for quite a few months but then the DDOS started to roll in on their users. They lost people, ol' Ed wanted things run how he wanted and things went down hill. When we moved into portland we had a major surge from people wanting the lower latency, but the 3rd day we were there, we had a huge outage.

I slept in a back office there in the end as I was getting no wage and FT wasn't healthy enough to make the mad dash out. We stabilized the network and things were looking up but then come January 2010 they had a huge power outage (when LEB marked us as probable deadpool). After that it was constant ddos due to a large chinese client of theirs that they refused to cancel.

For about 5 months I was given no wage and actually had to get money for food from Frantech. $5 foot longs, each day, every day, as it was the only thing I could do on a tight budget. At one point we considered getting a small space in Portland to host our stuff and I'd live in the city, but we said screw it and went to Fremont.

Francisco

Thanked by 2yowmamasita Spirit
  • @Francisco said: Actually all of it.

Oh, crap! :-) Thank you for your explanation. I remember you as kind support tech guy but things with directspace simply didn't work out for me so I packed my bags and left even before you.