Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A fishy provider that actually succeeded? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A fishy provider that actually succeeded?

2»

Comments

• @Francisco said: $5 foot longs

That sounds pretty high on the hog, get back to me after a few months or ramen, spaghetti and bologna sandwiches

• yowmamasitayowmamasita Member
    edited February 2012

@Francisco said: $5 foot longs, each day, every day

Shit

!(http://i.imgur.com/OwMvC.png)

I was a directspace client as well back then!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: That sounds pretty high on the hog, get back to me after a few months or ramen, spaghetti and bologna sandwiches

I would have had no place to cook the ramen alas :P

It was all interesting times, which makes the story of buyvm that much more crazy.

Francisco

@yowmamasita said: I was a directspace client as well back then!

You probably recognize my name then ;) There was lots of people that were at DSN but we saw lots come our way when people saw my name show up again.

Francisco

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
    edited February 2012

@Francisco said: For about 5 months I was given no wage and actually had to get money for food from Frantech. $5 foot longs, each day, every day, as it was the only thing I could do on a tight budget. At one point we considered getting a small space in Portland to host our stuff and I'd live in the city, but we said screw it and went to Fremont.

I call dibs on movie rights.

• @Francisco said: You probably recognize my name then

Now I remember, you helped me with a few tickets back then LOL this is really great. you and Edward! :)

@yowmamasita said: Now I remember, you helped me with a few tickets back then LOL this is really great. you and Edward! :)

"We will look into this ticket shortly."

forwards to Fran

• @Francisco check your inbox.

• Geeeeze, I feel bad for all those times I lodged a ticket and demanded action while we had servers at DSN.

As for partners, it's hit and miss. Some times things work out, some times they don't.

I learnt the hard way that you just gotta do it yourself and take control.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I had a dedi with directspace once.. but me being in sweden and cogent wasn't a good combination. Got so slow speed it was useless for me, tried to sell it on wht but got bashed when forwarding a ticket from edward which said bw was unlimited.
    To bad it didn't work out but it was to cheap to be true.

• @Francisco where can I find the posts in eAthena?

• This thread turned out beautifully (very very interesting :P), it may be selfish of me but man am I glad I joined BuyVM/Frantech last year, after all the drama...

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • How long does a provider have to be in business to be considered as "succeeded"?

• I suppose success is what you make of it. The longer anyone does anything the better they are at it.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited February 2012

Nobody seems to have mentioned them, so I will. ChicagoVPS when they began offering 2GB/$7 packages was kind of sihy...They offered 1GB/$5 and 2GB/$7, and nobody thought they could sustain that, but they are still here, and the services were great.

Although the 2GB/$7 offer came approximately a year after their first offer on LEB, most people kind of looked on that kind of offer as a last resort attempt to recoup some losses.

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2012

ChicagoVPS oversells like crazy, then again I'd venture to say 99% of all hosts do. The difference at this point is they have the skills to manage the overselling. Which means as long as they keep their customers happy and know what their doing they'll be around for a while.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Justin, Im a newbe in this low end market, I'm more confident with something different. But if I only sum a server (leased let's say for three years to low the monthly bill) , colocation and bandwidth (here I have only flat estimation since we buy 95% flat) some overselling is inevitable.
    I can decide to get a loss to gain reputation and a client base but in the long run you have to make a small profit :-)

• Oh I never said ChicagoVPS was a bad company, actually they're doing very well from an outsider looking in.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@BlueVM

I will admit there is SOME overselling, but no where are we "overselling like crazy" and not enough to really impact anything substantial.

Thank you for saying that we manage our services well, as a lot of work goes into keeping our services high quality for a low price :)

Regards,

Chris

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @CVPS_Chris - The "overselling like crazy" was a joke from another provider's website... my bad.

• @BlueVM said: @CVPS_Chris - The "overselling like crazy" was a joke from another provider's website... my bad.

KiloServe?

• I think so...

• Damn, where is @kiloserve btw, he disappeared since a month or more :P