Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discovery offer now available for the first U.S. OVH data center! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Discovery offer now available for the first U.S. OVH data center!

2»

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Just to add: This is actually not offered by OVH, but by their "OVH US" subsidiary. You have to create a totally separate account and no data is shared between them. They've mainly done that to protect non-US OVH infrastructure and customers from the spying eyes of the US government (Patriot Act, DMCA, etc)

Thanked by 2Xei kh81
  • @RIYAD
    W3Space Technologies

Intel Xeon E3-1270v6
    2 X 2 TB SATA or 2*500 GB NVMe SSD
    32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Unlimited Bandwidth
    5 Usable IPs (You Can order as many as you need)
    500Mbps Dedicated Port
    Free Software RAID, Hardware RAID cost $40
    Premium anti-DDoS Protection free
    15 Location
    100% Uptime SLA Guarantee
    $100/m

However, their order page shows different configuration. WEIRD!

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

saw them before , but nothing matches once visit their site . Maybe some marketing strategy .

• LeeLee Veteran

rm_ said: Remember as with other OVH locations that's a one time fee, and you keep the IP for as long as you want. Still a bad deal?

An untrustworthy deal given their history with IP charges.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

@Lee said:
    An untrustworthy deal given their history with IP charges.

What do you mean? I have multiple additional IPs and I never had to pay anything, apart from the setup fee of around 3e/each.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

FHR said: What do you mean? I have multiple additional IPs and I never had to pay anything, apart from the setup fee of around 3e/each.

A few years back it was the system they had, you could order a /x, single payment all good. Then they claimed that ip4 exhaustion meant everyone would simply have to start paying monthly for all their blocks. It sent the costs spiralling.

Here we are again, a few years of no monthly fee ips. Perhaps that won't change but they have done it once so no reason to think they won't do it again.

Not really an issue if you only have a handful of IP's unless you're on a shoestring budget.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Would have been the right price for 500Mbps with 1Gbps burst. Will wait.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

IP price is okayish. Dedies are too expensive.

Thanked by 1Xei
  • No thanks. If I wanted an expensive dedi in Virginia I would've kept the machine I had from LeaseWeb just outside Washington, DC in Manassas, VA.

Maybe at half this price, hopefully they have Kimsufi or SyS here over time. Just going to keep my machine in BHS, I actually planned on moving to this DC, but not at this price.

• @Kris said:
    No thanks. If I wanted an expensive dedi in Virginia I would've kept the machine I had from LeaseWeb just outside Washington, DC in Manassas, VA.

And yet, if we match specs between OVH and LSW WDC, you'd for same specs (actually 100mbit unmetered at LSW), pay $278.59 (2x2TB)

$99 vs $278.59

So I can indeed see prices are almost equal.

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

Though Leaseweb at least has superior network in EU. Curious how LW VA compares to OVH VA. I have an instance with LW VA ever since they opened up has worked flawlessly all these years. Totally not saying the OVH isn't nearly a 3x better deal per your pricing, so a no brainer. These new OVH DCs aren't without their introductory hiccups though.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • For the price, I think it's too expensive.

• @Xei said:

Though Leaseweb at least has superior network in EU.

Latency wise and throughput wise - it's not worth the 2-3x cost

I agree, their network was superior 5+ years ago, it just seems they forgot to grow it the last 5 years, so they started to lack behind even low-end competitors.

If you want to be a superior network, you have to evolve, and continue to evolve as time goes by.

You cannot evolve to X network size, and then stop evolving meanwhile competitors continue to grow - that will bite your ass eventually.

• XeiXei Member

@Zerpy said:

@Xei said:

Though Leaseweb at least has superior network in EU.

Latency wise and throughput wise - it's not worth the 2-3x cost

I agree, their network was superior 5+ years ago, it just seems they forgot to grow it the last 5 years, so they started to lack behind even low-end competitors.

If you want to be a superior network, you have to evolve, and continue to evolve as time goes by.

You cannot evolve to X network size, and then stop evolving meanwhile competitors continue to grow - that will bite your ass eventually.

I agree! Vultr and DO provide better performance on their offerings on average over Leaseweb's offerings due to Leaseweb's slow SAN technology which reduces I/O greatly. In comparison DO's block storage which is also served over network is blazing. Slow I/O is biggest gripe w/ LW, otherwise it performs well with a low cost point for bandwidth/resources. Not to mention their horrendous bandwidth overages... OVH is a clear winner here with their dedicated offering in comparison. OVH's VPS offerings are antiquated at 100mbit however... both LW and OVH need to evolve IMO.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@Xei said:
    Slow I/O is biggest gripe w/ LW

It is always consistent though, it never goes under an acceptable minimum.

• XeiXei Member

@Shazan said:

@Xei said:
    Slow I/O is biggest gripe w/ LW

It is always consistent though, it never goes under an acceptable minimum.

True everything remains consistent, same can be said for Vultr in my experiences. Consistency is not the easiest thing to find.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Lee said:

FHR said: What do you mean? I have multiple additional IPs and I never had to pay anything, apart from the setup fee of around 3e/each.

A few years back it was the system they had, you could order a /x, single payment all good. Then they claimed that ip4 exhaustion meant everyone would simply have to start paying monthly for all their blocks. It sent the costs spiralling.

Here we are again, a few years of no monthly fee ips. Perhaps that won't change but they have done it once so no reason to think they won't do it again.

Not really an issue if you only have a handful of IP's unless you're on a shoestring budget.

They also gave free IP's a couple times within that period too.

From the outside it just smells like OVH is always flying by the seat of their pants on things like IP addresses and them not being able to source another /16 for a price they can cope with is going to turn into things turn into monthly costs.

There's only so much open space on the market. Microsoft/AWS have been chomping up the majority of the massive blocks on the market so OVH is going to be stuck using brokers probably.

As @mikea said, it's not worth it for companies to do VPS on it unless you force everyone pay yearly on everything, and even then it's slim pickings.

Francisco

• EasedEased Member, Host Rep

I'll wait patiently for the Public Cloud offering.