Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nixstats out of beta :(
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

nixstats out of beta :(

Price isn't bad at $6.95 a month.

Thanked by 1vfuse

Comments

• Thanked by 1vfuse
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

One host and 5 services wen monitors on the free tier? How generous.

• I switched over to HetrixTools and am very pleasantly surprised. I believe it has a better overall feel for my needs and I was able to get in during the Christmas double free plan which totally makes it worth it for me.

I still have a soft side for Nixstats since it was one of the first I used and I saw it grow from a very unrefined service to a powerful monitoring service. I wish them all the best in their enterprise/professional plan offerings!

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Your trial expires in 7 days, so you still have time.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • $1.19/mo to monitor an additional server that costs $3/mo
    i guess...

@doughmanes said:
    $1.19/mo to monitor an additional server that costs $3/mo
    i guess...

Thats the price you pay, for using a 1 liner to monitor your server instead of setting stuff up like LibreNMS.

Thanked by 2lemon maverickp
  • Don't assume things about people as I'm probably one of the biggest promoters of LibreNMS on here.

Thanked by 2Aidan lazyt

@doughmanes said:
    Don't assume things about people as I'm probably one of the biggest promoters of LibreNMS on here.

• Point is still valid about pricing.

• Statuscake has better pricing IIRC

• I like how everyone here used and enjoyed nixstats while it was free but complains that he now wants some money for his work

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ricardo said: Statuscake has better pricing IIRC

I've read mixed reviews here about StatusCake, though I've never used them myself.

@NodePing participates here...been using them for a long time without issues, but they're external monitoring only (not telling you what's going on inside your box, just how it looks from outside).

• raindog308 said: I've read mixed reviews here about StatusCake, though I've never used them myself.

Can't say either way, though I know the owners. I've got ~600 domains.servers being monitored, or rather, I'm collecting data and then will monitor more closely.

• Ditching nixstats, good thing I won $100 on Hetrixtools.

• lion said: complains that he now wants some money for his work

No. The point is the pricing will turn a beta turned production service back into non-production or encourage somebody to compete. My $3/mo Scaleway LibreNMS install is good enough at this point.

• @lion said:
    I like how everyone here used and enjoyed nixstats while it was free but complains that he now wants some money for his work

It's been solid for me and I wouldn't mind paying what he wants. Its cheaper than a lot of other monitoring out there.

• @guerrilla said:

@lion said:
    I like how everyone here used and enjoyed nixstats while it was free but complains that he now wants some money for his work

It's been solid for me and I wouldn't mind paying what he wants. Its cheaper than a lot of other monitoring out there.

Definitely in the same camp, but all my monitoring is for non-critical applications and isn't a necessity. A free service for me is better for my needs.

• Nope, not at that price. $2/mo for our current founders plan would have been fine.

Cheap vps or Scaleway with LibreNMS now.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

The pricing doesn't seem bad to me. The only feedback I would have on the plan is to offer a better explanation of 30 days data retention vs 2 years historical data and how they differ.

• Well, nodequery still free.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • is it possible to run librenms in LES / NAT box ??

Do they need to listen common port?

• WSSWSS Member

@MeMyselfandLinux said:
    is it possible to run librenms in LES / NAT box ??

Using a no-SLA service to monitor your services is a great plan. Right up there with self-dentistry.

Thanked by 3ucxo atheros doghouch
  • @WSS said:

@MeMyselfandLinux said:
    is it possible to run librenms in LES / NAT box ??>

Using a no-SLA service to monitor your services is a great plan. Right up there with self-dentistry.

I can one up that one.
    What about using your DNS server on a couple bucks per year mega VPS?
    ...here's the foundation for the next DNS Made Easy competitor.. just along side with the next "facebook" and under the next "Google".

• MeMyselfandLinux said: Do they need to listen common port?

Change snmpd port to whatever is open. Not sure if your NAT VPS will do open UDP ports.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@404error said:
    What about using your DNS server on a couple bucks per year mega VPS?

..or running your entire email/etc business infrastructure on the cheapest CPanel host you can find!

@doughmanes said:

MeMyselfandLinux said: Do they need to listen common port?

Change snmpd port to whatever is open. Not sure if your NAT VPS will do open UDP ports.

Outgoing should be fine, but anything that needs to initiate, well, that's probably not going to end up great.

• raindog308 said: but they're external monitoring only

We do have an SNMP check for metrics (pull at 1 min interval) and there are a lot of packages REST exposed metrics we can do with our HTTP Parse check. No agent-based check yet.

I would like to say that nixstats looks like a solid product and I hope it's able to keep the lights on with that great pricing.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

WSS said: Change snmpd port to whatever is open. Not sure if your NAT VPS will do open UDP ports.

Outgoing should be fine, but anything that needs to initiate, well, that's probably not going to end up great.

SNMP over UDP + NAT VPS works without any issues.

• @daxterfellowes said:
    I switched over to HetrixTools and am very pleasantly surprised. I believe it has a better overall feel for my needs and I was able to get in during the Christmas double free plan which totally makes it worth it for me.

I still have a soft side for Nixstats since it was one of the first I used and I saw it grow from a very unrefined service to a powerful monitoring service. I wish them all the best in their enterprise/professional plan offerings!

It's just doesn't feels well. I mean dashboard is not as much as touched as nixstats. I also notice too many false alerts a day. Nixstats has a lot more features in my opinion

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited January 2018

From false positives, I remember just before NixStats there was cloudstats.me that I used for a few months but it used to have many false alarms. I think the dev was on LET as well.

Don't know if they improved or not.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I tried to make a price that would work for most people. I understand that it's too much for some, that's why we have the Free plan.

We just released an update with RabbitMQ, Redis as well as Exim mail queue monitoring. If there's anything else you're interested in monitoring let me know. Our system is set up to monitor anything you push to our API. We've had some interesting requests already, printer ink level monitoring for example.

We also have a whitelabeled WHMCS reseller module (monitoring.yourcompany.com), let me know if you're interested in giving it a try.