Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

nixstats out of beta :(
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

nixstats out of beta :(

Price isn't bad at $6.95 a month.

Thanked by 1vfuse

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member

Community Rules | Rules for selling | LET Support Desk
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart."

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited January 8

One host and 5 services wen monitors on the free tier? How generous.

I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

• I switched over to HetrixTools and am very pleasantly surprised. I believe it has a better overall feel for my needs and I was able to get in during the Christmas double free plan which totally makes it worth it for me.

I still have a soft side for Nixstats since it was one of the first I used and I saw it grow from a very unrefined service to a powerful monitoring service. I wish them all the best in their enterprise/professional plan offerings!

Thanked by 1Hoost
  • NeoonNeoon Member

Your trial expires in 7 days, so you still have time.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • $1.19/mo to monitor an additional server that costs $3/mo i guess...

Why are we still allowing bypassing AUP/TOS (Netflix) requests? We're one thread pull away from being HF.

• NeoonNeoon Member

@doughmanes said: $1.19/mo to monitor an additional server that costs $3/mo i guess...

Thats the price you pay, for using a 1 liner to monitor your server instead of setting stuff up like LibreNMS.

Thanked by 2lemon maverickp
  • Don't assume things about people as I'm probably one of the biggest promoters of LibreNMS on here.

Why are we still allowing bypassing AUP/TOS (Netflix) requests? We're one thread pull away from being HF.

Thanked by 2Aidan lazyt
  • NeoonNeoon Member

@doughmanes said: Don't assume things about people as I'm probably one of the biggest promoters of LibreNMS on here.

• Point is still valid about pricing.

• Statuscake has better pricing IIRC

• lionlion Member

I like how everyone here used and enjoyed nixstats while it was free but complains that he now wants some money for his work

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

ricardo said: Statuscake has better pricing IIRC

I've read mixed reviews here about StatusCake, though I've never used them myself.

@NodePing participates here...been using them for a long time without issues, but they're external monitoring only (not telling you what's going on inside your box, just how it looks from outside).

My Advice: VPS Advice

For LET support, please click here.

• raindog308 said: I've read mixed reviews here about StatusCake, though I've never used them myself.

Can't say either way, though I know the owners. I've got ~600 domains.servers being monitored, or rather, I'm collecting data and then will monitor more closely.

• vovlervovler Member

Ditching nixstats, good thing I won $100 on Hetrixtools.

• lion said: complains that he now wants some money for his work

No. The point is the pricing will turn a beta turned production service back into non-production or encourage somebody to compete. My $3/mo Scaleway LibreNMS install is good enough at this point.

• @lion said: I like how everyone here used and enjoyed nixstats while it was free but complains that he now wants some money for his work

It's been solid for me and I wouldn't mind paying what he wants. Its cheaper than a lot of other monitoring out there.

• @guerrilla said:

@lion said: I like how everyone here used and enjoyed nixstats while it was free but complains that he now wants some money for his work

It's been solid for me and I wouldn't mind paying what he wants. Its cheaper than a lot of other monitoring out there.

Definitely in the same camp, but all my monitoring is for non-critical applications and isn't a necessity. A free service for me is better for my needs.

• Nope, not at that price. $2/mo for our current founders plan would have been fine.

Cheap vps or Scaleway with LibreNMS now.

Any opinions expressed are my own, correct, and generally unpopular with others. All rights reserved - but some wrongs are still available.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Provider

The pricing doesn't seem bad to me. The only feedback I would have on the plan is to offer a better explanation of 30 days data retention vs 2 years historical data and how they differ.

Subnet Labs, LLC Contact Us Deploy to: Seattle, Dallas or NYC
    Impact VPS | Cloud Servers | Storage Servers | Impact Shared | Shared Hosting

• Well, nodequery still free.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • is it possible to run librenms in LES / NAT box ??

Do they need to listen common port?

• WSSWSS Member

@MeMyselfandLinux said: is it possible to run librenms in LES / NAT box ??

Using a no-SLA service to monitor your services is a great plan. Right up there with self-dentistry.

Thanked by 3ucxo atheros doghouch
  • @WSS said:

@MeMyselfandLinux said: is it possible to run librenms in LES / NAT box ??> Using a no-SLA service to monitor your services is a great plan. Right up there with self-dentistry.

I can one up that one. What about using your DNS server on a couple bucks per year mega VPS? ...here's the foundation for the next DNS Made Easy competitor.. just along side with the next "facebook" and under the next "Google".

• MeMyselfandLinux said: Do they need to listen common port?

Change snmpd port to whatever is open. Not sure if your NAT VPS will do open UDP ports.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 9

@404error said: What about using your DNS server on a couple bucks per year mega VPS?

..or running your entire email/etc business infrastructure on the cheapest CPanel host you can find!

@doughmanes said:

MeMyselfandLinux said: Do they need to listen common port?

Change snmpd port to whatever is open. Not sure if your NAT VPS will do open UDP ports.

Outgoing should be fine, but anything that needs to initiate, well, that's probably not going to end up great.

• raindog308 said: but they're external monitoring only

We do have an SNMP check for metrics (pull at 1 min interval) and there are a lot of packages REST exposed metrics we can do with our HTTP Parse check. No agent-based check yet.

I would like to say that nixstats looks like a solid product and I hope it's able to keep the lights on with that great pricing.

Website and server monitoring for the masses. NodePing

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • WSS said: Change snmpd port to whatever is open. Not sure if your NAT VPS will do open UDP ports.

Outgoing should be fine, but anything that needs to initiate, well, that's probably not going to end up great.

SNMP over UDP + NAT VPS works without any issues.

• @daxterfellowes said: I switched over to HetrixTools and am very pleasantly surprised. I believe it has a better overall feel for my needs and I was able to get in during the Christmas double free plan which totally makes it worth it for me.

I still have a soft side for Nixstats since it was one of the first I used and I saw it grow from a very unrefined service to a powerful monitoring service. I wish them all the best in their enterprise/professional plan offerings!

It's just doesn't feels well. I mean dashboard is not as much as touched as nixstats. I also notice too many false alerts a day. Nixstats has a lot more features in my opinion

Et tu, brute?

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited January 9

From false positives, I remember just before NixStats there was cloudstats.me that I used for a few months but it used to have many false alarms. I think the dev was on LET as well.

Don't know if they improved or not.

• vfusevfuse Member, Provider

I tried to make a price that would work for most people. I understand that it's too much for some, that's why we have the Free plan.

We just released an update with RabbitMQ, Redis as well as Exim mail queue monitoring. If there's anything else you're interested in monitoring let me know. Our system is set up to monitor anything you push to our API. We've had some interesting requests already, printer ink level monitoring for example.

We also have a whitelabeled WHMCS reseller module (monitoring.yourcompany.com), let me know if you're interested in giving it a try.

NIXStats monitoring service (servers, http(s), ICMP, tcp ports) - monitoring 13,000+ servers - Uptime Report - API Docs

• Nixstats is pretty awesome. In the past 6-7 months I have been using it, I can easily see the effort put in by @vfuse to make the product more awesome (particularly love the Weekly stats email).

For now, I haven't upgraded as all I was monitoring are my Idle VPSes and hardly used blogs. If this changes, I would gladly pay for the upgrade.

PS: Wondering how Vincent came up with the 6.95 number (LET influenced?)

Are you looking for some textual fun?

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • WSSWSS Member

@brueggus said: SNMP over UDP + NAT VPS works without any issues.

That's only outgoing, though, right? Like I said, any ping-back monitors will probably have issues/need ports altered/et al.

• MikePTMikePT Member

@vfuse said: I tried to make a price that would work for most people. I understand that it's too much for some, that's why we have the Free plan.

We just released an update with RabbitMQ, Redis as well as Exim mail queue monitoring. If there's anything else you're interested in monitoring let me know. Our system is set up to monitor anything you push to our API. We've had some interesting requests already, printer ink level monitoring for example.

We also have a whitelabeled WHMCS reseller module (monitoring.yourcompany.com), let me know if you're interested in giving it a try.

Very exciting. Keep it up Vince!

MXroute.io - SMTP Relay Service, powered by MailChannels, fully automated.

New brand coming soon!

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • WSS said: That's only outgoing, though, right?

Nope, both directions.

I think all those guys running OpenVPN on their NAT Boxes connect via UDP by default, don't they?

• WSSWSS Member

brueggus said: I think all those guys running OpenVPN on their NAT Boxes connect via UDP by default, don't they?

Within their predefined port range? Most likely.

• imokimok Member
    edited January 15

Nixstats is very helpful, unfortunately I can't pay $7/m to monitor a total of $6/m servers. I'll stay with HetrixTools and Nodequery :D

I wish the best to the people of Nixstats :)

Janitor @ Netflix

• Haven't been using nixstat since many months. Anyways, tested couple of solutions and usability of icinga2 + web seems best among all solutions. Anyone using it in production?

Et tu, brute?

• AmplificatorAmplificator Member
    edited January 17

Seems I found a bug/workaround to allow me to still monitor all the things I monitored during beta, likely to also work with new additions although I'm out of cheap vps' to give it a go - feeling pretty good about myself :)

• PeachBlossomPeachBlossom Member
    edited January 17

@Amplificator said: Seems I found a bug/workaround to allow me to still monitor all the things I monitored during beta, likely to also work with new additions although I'm out of cheap vps' to give it a go - feeling pretty good about myself :)

Why would you feel good about yourself for taking advantage of a bug? ( if that was really the case )

Also... you do realize that the owner of nixstats ( vfuse ) actively visit this forum, right?

Thanked by 1vfuse
    edited January 17

@PeachBlossom said:

@Amplificator said: Seems I found a bug/workaround to allow me to still monitor all the things I monitored during beta, likely to also work with new additions although I'm out of cheap vps' to give it a go - feeling pretty good about myself :)

Why would you feel good about yourself for taking advantage of a bug? ( if that was really the case )

Also... you do realize that the owner of nixstats ( vfuse ) actively visit this forum, right?

So by me stating that I found the bug you are assuming that I'm actively abusing it; can you prove any of your outrageous assumptions?

• @Amplificator said:

@PeachBlossom said:

So by me stating that I found the bug you are assuming that I'm actively abusing it; Those are some pretty serious accusations [email protected]@@

If you really found a ' bug ', you're supposed to report it to the owner of nixstats instead of taking advantage of it.

This is not really a bug, we're well aware that you're still having those features.

We noticed some users still needed a couple of days to activate their subscription so we'll still allow this for the next couple days.

I'm glad I made you good about yourself tho ;)

NIXStats monitoring service (servers, http(s), ICMP, tcp ports) - monitoring 13,000+ servers - Uptime Report - API Docs

Thanked by 1PeachBlossom
  • @vfuse said:

This is not really a bug, we're well aware that you're still having those features.

We noticed some users still needed a couple of days to activate their subscription so we'll still allow this for the next couple days.

I'm glad I made you good about yourself tho ;)

Don't take this away from me!!

Be glad to explain it to you in a PM though, as some parts of the interface allows monitoring and others (main page) don't.

• @PeachBlossom said:

@Amplificator said:

@PeachBlossom said:

So by me stating that I found the bug you are assuming that I'm actively abusing it; Those are some pretty serious accusations [email protected]@@

If you really found a ' bug ', you're supposed to report it to the owner of nixstats instead of taking advantage of it.

I just did, but thanks for your assumptions though.

• SvenSven Member
    edited January 17

Be glad to explain it to you in a PM though, as some parts of the interface allows monitoring and others (main page) don't.

For Origin

! 17.1.2018, 21:20:59 https://nixstats.com/dashboard/servers nixstats.com##.upgrade-servers

! 17.1.2018, 21:21:22 https://nixstats.com/server/595752ea72c9ea1f7a8b4567/overview nixstats.com##.upgrade-now

! 17.1.2018, 21:21:27 https://nixstats.com/server/595752ea72c9ea1f7a8b4567/overview nixstats.com##.server-upgrade-cont

You can still the bars of your server on the site: https://nixstats.com/dashboard/servers

• Amplificator said: feeling pretty good about myself

@PeachBlossom I'm not certain but he might have meant to be feeling good about finding a bug, ( kinda feeling of hackerman )

We all go through it I guess

Et tu, brute?

• @jetchirag said:

Amplificator said: feeling pretty good about myself

@PeachBlossom I'm not certain but he might have meant to be feeling good about finding a bug, ( kinda feeling of hackerman )

We all go through it I guess

Did you get that from my excessive punctuation? :P

• iKeyZiKeyZ Member
    edited January 17

@Amplificator said: I just did, but thanks for your assumptions though.

@Amplificator said: I found a bug/workaround to allow me to still monitor all the things I monitored during beta

@Amplificator said: I'm out of cheap vps' to give it a go

@Amplificator said: Don't take this away from me!!

Doesn't seem like an assumption

Thanked by 1PeachBlossom
    edited January 17

@iKeyZ said:

@Amplificator said: I just did, but thanks for your assumptions though.

@Amplificator said: I found a bug/workaround to allow me to still monitor all the things I monitored during beta

@Amplificator said: I'm out of cheap vps' to give it a go

@Amplificator said: Don't take this away from me!!

Doesn't seem like an assumption

Since I already PM'ed vfuse about it it was, apparently.. but thanks for your input :)

And what I "found" was different than @Sven above, but @vfuse explained it nicely on how he intends to have it fixed so all is well.

Again on the dashboard we've implemented the option to check if a server/monitor is "active", if it's not it will display a message asking to upgrade.

On the API we've not implemented this yet since a couple of users have asked for a couple extra days to upgrade their subscriptions. So the API does not (yet) check if a server is active/disabled, once that's enabled you won't see any of the data anymore since it won't be stored anymore.

We just didn't want to leave anyone in the dark in the meantime :)