Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"VPN Gate is great!" "Help fight the censorship!" "The journalists will thank you." - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"VPN Gate is great!" "Help fight the censorship!" "The journalists will thank you."

Comments

• Here's a lesson boys.. Never use a free VPN, because some asshole could release your data for the fun of it.

http://185.140.120.40/logs.7z

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

stefeman said: Here's a lesson boys.. Never use a free VPN, because some asshole could release your data for the fun of it.

1. It is a known risk, many assholes do that for Tor with 0 consequences for the users.
    2. It shows nothing, in a serious privacy network like Tor where traffic is bounced through more than 2 nodes and encrypted at every step.
    3. Aha, I forgot about the 90% netflixers, huluers and the like, we were at 270% last time, now we are approaching 400% and I am sure there are other "criminal elements" which use it to sell drugs (85%), firearms (only 75% as in US that is considered a legitimate business done in the open at every corner shop and the people barred from buying legally are a very tiny minority), while also 100% use it to cover their tracks which we all know is illegal, if it wasnt, why would they do it? What do they have to hide?
  • stefeman said: This is why we can't have nice things

You saying this?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/129254/put-here-your-fun-provider-games-let-s-get-rid-of-all-idle-vpss#latest

This is why we can't have nice things.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2017

@jarland said:
    That's the reality. Even most of the people who publicly celebrate legitimate and noble uses of such infrastructure, I would propose, really just want a moral justification for a path they can exploit for reasons that are much more difficult to defend.

The good uses are the minority. Maybe they're worth the rest, but I seriously doubt their numbers are high.

It is easy to make such assertions, but do you have data to back them up?

At Defcon, Roger Dingledine dispelled many myths about Tor, including Myth #5: "I heard 80% of Tor is bad people." Here is a report of that presentation:

https://threatpost.com/tor-developer-busts-myths-announces-new-features/127207/

In it, Roger is quoted, "most people use Tor to reach ordinary websites." Often it is about people trying to reach ordinary social media websites from locations where it may be sensitive to do so. He notes that Facebook has its own .onion address to further facilitate those connections.

Of course, the governments (and perhaps the majority of citizens) of those regimes would say that such connections to ordinary social media ARE immoral and difficult to defend. I suspect that all governments would say that any attempt to hide activities from the government must be immoral by definition. I respectfully disagree.

P.S. Another useful link, "Who Uses Tor?":

https://www.torproject.org/about/torusers.html.en

edited December 2017

emg said: P.S. Another useful link, "Who Uses Tor?":

https://www.torproject.org/about/torusers.html.en

That is propaganda, of course, useful to some extent to counter the other propaganda, however, we both know that many criminals do use Tor and there were high profile cases.

In all this debacle about anonimity online and how it can be abused, trying to get percentages in any direction should be fundamentally flawed, so, if we ignore this, we have to put up usage scenario cases as there at number one, like this:
    1. Why we need privacy and to circumvent censorship: https://www.torproject.org/about/torusers.html.en
    2. Communicating securely does not aid criminals more than having conspirative channels and trusted members of the group which convey the messages.
    Think about it, does masking your IP address mean you immediately forget what you were doing and cannot be interrogated? That you cannot betray the organization for a plea bargain or because you were marginalized, not cut a "fair" share or just to get revenge or because you disagree with the methods? Before the internet, weren't there public phone booths, traceable, but without surveillance cameras with good picture quality and unhooded people, there would have been little to link anyone to it, also, cordless phones were the equivalent of today's open wi-fi's, heck, even meeting in a crowded place to pass on a note, carrier pigeons and snail mail, while, of course, slower, as almost all communications in the past, were offering an equivalent degree of stealthiness under the radar.
    The police should better use the police techniques, informers, infiltration, undercover operations, plea bargains, witness protection, you cannot ship drugs through the internet, nor rape kids online, but you can do cyber war and great harm to the people, so police should concentrate on what really matters, in the end, the cases where someone was convicted only on the basis of an IP address are few and far between, it is the other evidence that mattered.
    Lazy police which just wants to sniff the traffic and wiretap phones? Put them to work for a change, this is why they have hefty payrolls and insurance, not to stop and search "niggers" and brown "terrorists". Blanket surveillance was never acceptable in a democracy (except at times of war, but then there was no real democracy), the advent of electronic communications does not change that fact, as the advent of phones did not give carte blanche to listen to what people talk without a warrant nor gave the right to the government to decide whom you can call and talk to as well as what topics are allowed to be discussed and which are not.

Thanked by 3Yura emg mfs
  • @doughmanes said:
    Breaking news: water is wet, fire is hot and some offers from LET providers are unsustainable

Instagram tells me water is not wet

• LeeLee Veteran

emg said: "Who Uses Tor?":

By Tor...

I thought the whole point of Tor is anonymity so it should not be possible to know who uses it and for what purpose, if you do or claim to then surely there is a flaw there.

So.

emg said: It is easy to make such assertions, but do you have data to back them up?

How can you back up he is wrong, without being able to provide proof? That is not because Tor says so...

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Asking for proof when it's obvious is sad.

• LeeLee Veteran

deank said: Asking for proof when it's obvious is sad.

Whats obvious?

• emgemg Veteran

@Lee said:

By Tor...

I thought the whole point of Tor is anonymity so it should not be possible to know who uses it and for what purpose, if you do or claim to then surely there is a flaw there.

There is no flaw. Anybody can see what comes out of the exit nodes. Even if the traffic is encrypted (it should be), simple traffic analysis can determine the destinations.

So.

It is easy to make such assertions, but do you have data to back them up?

How can you back up he is wrong, without being able to provide proof? That is not because Tor says so...

At the moment, I have only the data that I supplied in the links above, but I have no reason to doubt its authenticity. I will leave further research to others.

@Maounique is right, it is carefully worded propaganda. The words "ordinary websites" probably include websites that are legal in many countries, but that many would find morally objectionable. That fact didn't escape me when I posted the link, but I did not want to overcomplicate the discussion. Of course, what is "moral" varies considerably between cultures.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @Lee said:

deank said: Asking for proof when it's obvious is sad.

Whats obvious?

Tor is anonymous. Let's not take this discussion in some paranoid global conspiracy.

• Tor is also being used as honeytrap : )

• @WSS said:
    You looked at this site:

http://www.vpngate.net/en/

Which said "Academic Experiment of JAPAN"

Which is straight out of 2003

and said...

and said..

HEY THAT LOOKS GREATTRUSTWORTHY!

I love this site, always used it to activate my RU/CIS steam keys with OpenVPN.
    Shame it is exploitet in that way, may be the reason why so many servers go offline after some time.

• LeeLee Veteran

default said: Tor is anonymous.

The point, if it is that obvious that Tor is so anonymous then you cannot simply dismiss someones view that it's used by one group more than any other as seen above.

It's the same argument over and over, if I say its a crime-ridden network there is always someone (Pro Tor) who replies with "can you back that up?", no, I cannot, can you demonstrate it is not? No.

default said: Let's not take this discussion in some paranoid global conspiracy.

Was anyone...

• @Lee said:

default said: Tor is anonymous.

The point, if it is that obvious that Tor is so anonymous then you cannot simply dismiss someones view that it's used by one group more than any other as seen above.

It's the same argument over and over, if I say its a crime-ridden network there is always someone (Pro Tor) who replies with "can you back that up?", no, I cannot, can you demonstrate it is not? No.

You are the accuser. If you make such a strong claim then burden of proof lies on you.

• @Yura said:
    You are the accuser. If you make such a strong claim then burden of proof lies on you.

Not in this day and age of SJWs. For instance, Nancy Pelosi fucks dogs. Do I have proof? Only my neighbor's dog being afraid of anything stupid. Isn't that enough?

Thanked by 2Yura ThracianDog
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited December 2017

Yura said: You are the accuser. If you make such a strong claim then burden of proof lies on you.

Yura bit of a cunt right? I can't prove it, just a view. I don't need proof to have a view. If you want to offer a different view that's fine but you can't prove you're not.

• @Lee said:

Yura said: You are the accuser. If you make such a strong claim then burden of proof lies on you.

Yura bit of a cunt right? I can't prove it, just a view. I don't need proof to have a view. If you want to offer a different view that's fine but you can't prove you're not.

Not so fast, slinky. You can call me a cunt. That's just a slur and I don't care. If you call me a criminal then that's defamation and you have to prove it or you become the one who breaks the law.

Maybe in this day and age when all kinds of offended cunts and dicks (not like you, of course not) came online to get attention by smearing those who are better in life... this simple logical truth is hard to understand.

Onus probandi. Because I am a cunt.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • LeeLee Veteran

Touched a nerve there did I, you must be a special snowflake.

Who called you a criminal? Yura just making shit up now.

• @Lee said:
    Touched a nerve there did I, you must be a special snowflake.

Who called you a criminal? Yura just making shit up now.

And that's all? You really had nothing to say? You don't know difference between opinion and accusation but keep exercising your fingers uselessly? Come up with something on point. Oh, you can't.

so boring.

• LeeLee Veteran

I know the difference between opinion and accusation. You are the one bringing up accusations and being called a criminal, nothing in this thread has been anything more than opinions until you came along and distorted it.

Are you reading the right thread?

• @Lee said:
    I know the difference between opinion and accusation. You are the one bringing up accusations and being called a criminal, nothing in this thread has been anything more than opinions until you came along and distorted it.

Are you reading the right thread?

Did I call myself a criminal? lol. I said "if" someone calls me that then he better back it up or shut the fuck up. If you call Tor a crime ridden network then you make a bold claim thar you need to backup. It's accusation. It's bold claim and you are speaking out of your ass.

Jeez, you said

@Lee said:

Try harder.

• LeeLee Veteran

Yura said: Try harder.

Nah, just messing with you.

I have no real views on Tor, don't use it. Rightly or wrongly I do however take the view that if you provide a tool that can be used for good as well as bad I expect the bad to be the more popular, I mean that is the world we live in right?

If the network is as anonymous as it claims, again I don't know enough about it, then we will never really know.

I get it, there are many genuine uses for it and you cannot use the argument that it should not be used at all because of a few junkies, pedos and whoever else that abuse it.

Thanked by 2Yura vimalware
  • @Lee said:

Yura said: Try harder.

Nah, just messing with you.

I have no real views on Tor, don't use it. Rightly or wrongly I do however take the view that if you provide a tool that can be used for good as well as bad I expect the bad to be the more popular, I mean that is the world we live in right?

If the network is as anonymous as it claims, again I don't know enough about it, then we will never really know.

I get it, there are many genuine uses for it and you cannot use the argument that it should not be used at all because of a few junkies, pedos and whoever else that abuse it.

That's great <3

Thanked by 1Lee
  • I thought both of you were just bitchplayin'. One of you wasn't?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran

WSS said: I thought both of you were just bitchplayin'. One of you wasn't?

I leave that bitch stuff to you.

• @WSS said:
    I thought both of you were just bitchplayin'. One of you wasn't?

I don't run relays, exists or use Tor extensively. My last name is not even Appelbaum. I'm just a fat little pussy. But you knew that already.

• LeeLee Veteran

Actually, the one time I did try Tor I felt like I was back in the late 90's on dial-up, not sure if it was me or it really was that slow...

edited December 2017

I am using Tor and managing nodes, therefore there are 94% chances I am a criminal. So I should prove I am not a criminal, since there are only 6 % chances not to be one. That is the kind of twisted logic alt.right uses.

emg said: Of course, what is "moral" varies considerably between cultures.

Of course, the main theme here is dont impose your culture on me and I wont impose mine on you, the law must be the lowest common denominator as long as nobody is injured in their fundamental rights.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@Lee said:

WSS said: I thought both of you were just bitchplayin'. One of you wasn't?

I leave that bitch stuff to you.

January is your month in the barrel. I'll bring duct tape to make sure you don't explode.

@Maounique said:
    I am using Tor and managing nodes, therefore there are 94% chances I am a criminal. So I should prove I am not a criminal, since there are only 6 % chances not to be one. That is the kind of twisted logic alt.right uses.

Never change you propaganda spewing bastard.

Thanked by 1Lee