Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interest in HK and LT NAT based VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interest in HK and LT NAT based VPS?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

I'm trying to gauge the kind of interest for NAT and other low cost VPS in HK and LT.

Node hardware will be running E5v2 CPUs and HDDs in RAID 10 or 6.

Spec Target:
1GB RAM
40GB HDD
300GB Data Transfer

Price Target: $1.5/month | $18 /year
(can do half the spec for half the price)

yay or nay?

Comments

• What about 1/4? Could be even less as far as i am concerned. Just traffic would be a bit minimalistic at 1/8.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

mksh said: What about 1/4? Could be even less as far as i am concerned. Just traffic would be a bit minimalistic at 1/8.

In theory, but I guess that only works with OpenVZ. We normally only do Xen or KVM, and you can't run much on 256MB RAM.

• To be honest, the only reason I have a service with you in HK is because it has kick-ass china bandwidth. If this offer is this cheap, it will most likely mean that there is no direct china bw included, which makes the location "just another location that is too far away" for me.

teamacc said: To be honest, the only reason I have a service with you in HK is because it has kick-ass china bandwidth. If this offer is this cheap, it will most likely mean that there is no direct china bw included, which makes the location "just another location that is too far away" for me.

Actually, I probably would include Direct China, but the 300GB cap would be fairly strict then.

• @randvegeta said:

Actually, I probably would include Direct China, but the 300GB cap would be fairly strict then.

What about the ip being banned by the GFW then? As it's a NAT service, everyone would be affected.

• @randvegeta said:

mksh said: What about 1/4? Could be even less as far as i am concerned. Just traffic would be a bit minimalistic at 1/8.

In theory, but I guess that only works with OpenVZ. We normally only do Xen or KVM, and you can't run much on 256MB RAM.

Well, i run physical boxes with that amount of (or less) RAM. Not quite sure about the installer but at least debian should run fine on 128MB. Probably even 64MB.

• I wasn't able to boot a recent stock Debian kernel on 64MB KVM. I had to go back to a Wheezy 32-bit kernel, although I'm sure you could custom-compile a more recent one and get it to fit. Once booted, the rest of the system upgraded to Stretch just fine.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited December 2017

@seanho said:
    I wasn't able to boot a recent stock Debian kernel on 64MB KVM. I had to go back to a Wheezy 32-bit kernel, although I'm sure you could custom-compile a more recent one and get it to fit. Once booted, the rest of the system upgraded to Stretch just fine.

Interesting. I had so much free space on the 128MB setup i imagined 64MB would not make much difference. Admitedly this was back in the wheezy days though. Nowadays i just run debian (devuan) 8 on an old 256MB thinclient.

• What about some LES in LT?

• if you end up doing this in HK, is it possible for me to tunnel some of my own IPv4 over to them? (or maybe provide a few v4's for some reputable LETers too)?

lion said: What about some LES in LT?

It's on the table. New equipment on the way to the DC. Some of it will be used this.

hzr said: if you end up doing this in HK, is it possible for me to tunnel some of my own IPv4 over to them? (or maybe provide a few v4's for some reputable LETers too)?

Should be possible. Biggest problem with IPv4 is not so much reputation but availability.

teamacc said: what about the ip being banned by the GFW then? As it's a NAT service, everyone would be affected.

Will have to try and mitigate this. But for $18 /yr (or less), don't think it would be reasonable to expect any guarantees.

• +1 for 1/4 spec. 256mb should be enough for light use.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • What about more bandwidth without direct China routes? It's gonna get GFW banned anyways. And would be only NAT-IPv4 or also with IPv6 (HE.net or native)? But either way, certainly very interested.

• I'd be interesting in HK as a VPN. I've been looking for something reliable that I can use to access TVB / myTV!

• Yay, if cheaper. 256MB is enough for me.

• Grab i-83.net for another location? Would be way overkill for 1GB tho, could use it as Telegram bot workers tho :p

@iPwnJ00 said:
    I'd be interesting in HK as a VPN. I've been looking for something reliable that I can use to access TVB / myTV!

I have heard they are trying to block non-residential IPs, but worth a try I guess?

• 256MB/512MB RAM and 10GB/15 GB HDD are enough for me. Will you cancel the free VPSBit service?

• @randvegeta said:

Does that mean your initial post was a KVM? If so I'd buy one in HK.

@Umut said:
    256MB/512MB RAM and 10GB/15 GB HDD are enough for me. Will you cancel the free VPSBit service?

No plans to shut down yet.

@Setsura said:

@randvegeta said:

Does that mean your initial post was a KVM? If so I'd buy one in HK.

Or Xen, but yes.

• Needs more dicks.

@WSS said:
    Needs more dicks.

How much dick do you need? I'll see what I can throw in! Any preference for race brand, color, size? In HK, there isn't a whole lot of options, and if we go with a foreign supplier, it could be pricey.

• @randvegeta said:

@WSS said:
    Needs more dicks.

How much dick do you need?

Sorry, I don't need resellers- I need direct access!

• barkbark Member
    edited December 2017

Sounds great. Vote firm for Yay HK.

• @lifehome said:

@iPwnJ00 said:
    I'd be interesting in HK as a VPN. I've been looking for something reliable that I can use to access TVB / myTV!

I have heard they are trying to block non-residential IPs, but worth a try I guess?

Yes, that's unfortunately correct. I have tried a few VPS' in HK and usually the ones that are overpriced (like $40/month for 2GB) will work while the ones that are cheap will not.

I think it really depends on the IP addresses that are allocated. I have also had some VPNs that worked but they are crazy slow and usually cannot stream at all.

In a way I'm kind of asking OP if his server ranges can allow streaming of myTV, then I'd be in :)

iPwnJ00 said: In a way I'm kind of asking OP if his server ranges can allow streaming of myTV, then I'd be in :)

Some of our IPs can but most cannot. The ones that can are not our own ranges but allocated to us by our up-streams, which also run broadband service, so i assume their entire ranges are on the 'permitted' list for streaming services. This include Pacent, HGC, HKBN and PCCW.

Unrelated to the IP, does anyone actually care if the virtualization is KVM or OpenVZ? For these budget VPS services on a NAT, does it make a difference?

• @randvegeta said:
    Unrelated to the IP, does anyone actually care if the virtualization is KVM or OpenVZ? For these budget VPS services on a NAT, does it make a difference?

Not really. I would'nt mind a stupidly low spec KVM for a change but that's it. Also OpenVZ can handle even more stupidly low specs which probably means even smaller pricetag.

TL;DR: 64MB OpenVZ count me in.

@mksh said:

@randvegeta said:

Not really. I would'nt mind a stupidly low spec KVM for a change but that's it. Also OpenVZ can handle even more stupidly low specs which probably means even smaller pricetag.

TL;DR: 64MB OpenVZ count me in.

I don't like OpenVZ but kvm or Xen means having way more overhead, and that reduces the potential revenue per vps.

• @randvegeta said:
    I don't like OpenVZ but kvm or Xen means having way more overhead, and that reduces the potential revenue per vps.

Of course KVM is preferable but like i said in the end i care more about pricetag when it comes to low spec VPS. I am probably not representative and surely not the most lucrative costumer by just looking to spend a tiny amount of $ per year on a toy like 64MB OpenVZ though.

mksh said: looking to spend a tiny amount of $ per year on a toy like 64MB OpenVZ though.

Like $5 /year?

64MB RAM is really very little. I'm planning to put up a test KVM node to get some feedback. The node has just 16GB RAM, but that basically means 30 - 40 VMs at most, assuming 256-512MB RAM per VM.

64MB OpenVZ / LXC VPS would mean upto 250 (assuming the CPU could handle it). Just not sure what you could do with 64MB RAM :D

But with only 30-40VMs, it's certainly not even remotely profitable only 16GB. Maybe with 32GB + it could be.

• 128MB OVZ for VPN under $5/y