Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email hosting providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email hosting providers?

DieselDiesel Member
edited April 2013 in Providers

Hello,

I'm looking for a place to host our and some of our clients' mails. It cannot be in the US, as I'm a bit of a paranoid. Patriot act and whatnot. We need at least 1 Gb per account, more then one domain installable, interface that doesn't look like it's from the 1990s. The ideal would be something like Open-Xchange. And most importantly, cheap prices.

I checked some companies, 1&1 Germany looks suitable, has nice webmail, yet doesn't sell to non-Germany/Austrian clients on the Germany servers. Strato AG, another German provider, has insane good prices, has Open-Xchange, but you have to have your domain with them, which not doable for us. Hostpoint.ch, is another one I found that has Open-Xchange,15 Swiss francs get you hosting with Open-Xchange as the email solution, we don't need the hosting bit, but could buy to get the email service. Not really cheap, and support isn't very good.

Do you know any other companies that could suit us? 1&1 Germany seemed like the best option, but doesn't sell to non-Germans. Ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited April 2013

<offtopic>

I don't think your signature worked as expected.

</offtopic>

• fastmail.fm -> in au
    yandex.com -> in ru, it's free
    runbox.com -> in norway

• DieselDiesel Member
    edited April 2013

@Ishaq, I know, couldn't bother to change.
    @DNSbed, already using Yandex, they have weird DNS, the control panel constantly doubts that the domains' dns are set to Yandex... Runbox seems expensive.

• @Diesel said: And most importantly, cheap prices.

You want security? you can't expect to pay cheap prices. Why should a company fight legal battles or deny requests from governments for you when you're paying 5$?

• We can pay higher prices but not for 90s level features. Most companies I've seen think 100 Mb is a Large package...

• Can you just use cPanel?

• @PhilND we host some websites on some LEBs and a dedicated. We just want to have the email up at all times and managed by independent company (outsourcing). We don't use shared hosting for the project that I need the email hosting for.

• tommytommy Member

how cheap ?
    rackspace mail $2/m
    google aps
    microsoft 365
    zimbra hosted
    zoho.com

• IvanIvan Member

Sort of off topic, I am on the other hand here looking for a PHP webmail application/client/server that I can setup on my server. And as well it must not look like it's from the 1990s. Something like this maybe?

• nikcnikc Member

£2.95 per mailbox per month.
    25Gb.
    Outlook and Outlook Web Access.

UK Based.

• @teohkay said: PHP webmail application/client/server

RoundCube?

• NameCheap does provide email hosting using OpenXchange.

• Been up and down this for months.

Best option is to find a provider who sells cPanel and allows for the number of accounts and storage you require --- and in the location you need.

Roundcube and Horde are two web mail clients bundled in cPanel and work relatively well.

With the price of cPanel accounts, there are some exceptional bargains out there for a project like this.

I'd stay FAR AWAY from any large provider as they likely have data retention laws they comply with --- applies to many countries.

I'd look around Canada as latency to US/world is quite good and laws are a bit more human-centric.

You'll likely bump into an outfit advertising privacy focused email in Panama, don't bother with them.

• @pubcrawler said: With the price of cPanel accounts, there are some exceptional bargains out there for a project like this.

Personally I use IPXCore, SecureDragon/ForidaWebHosting, and Catalyst (hehe self promo here)'s cPanel plans to get e-mails done.

• udkudk Member

If you're that paranoid shouldn't you be looking into hosting it yourself? Grab a couple LEBs and read some guides

• @udk, LEB's/VPS containers provider only a slight increase in any privacy. Arguably it approaches ZERO.

Setting up a mail server with all the pieces in place isn't a project for the faint of heart. Even the howto's mostly fail.

@HalfEatenPie, good list of cPanel companies... Didn't realize they all offered such.

I'll throw in that mix, Fliphost and WeLoveServers (pretty crazy annual deal if you can find it still).

• @pubcrawler said: Fliphost and WeLoveServers (pretty crazy annual deal if you can find it still).

Good call. Honestly there are great hosts out there who also have cPanel licenses that provide e-mail.

Hell while we're talking about it I forgot to add Hostigation in there.

• jeffjeff Member

sounds like there is a need for this type of service... hmmm

• jeffjeff Member

I would think that latency would not matter as much as laws, so picking the right countries to host from would be the first step? Am I correct here?

• @jeff,

Email is a rather latency insensitive type application. Email with up to 200ms end to end probably is sufficient for nearly everyone.

Privacy laws and data retention are the biggies and folks should be concerned about them.

IRS just was outed the other day from their own folks and written positions that they do not need a warrant to freely rummage through your email.

• MrXMrX Member

Shinjiru's Dynamail might be what you want.

http://www.shinjiru.com.my/webhosting/dynamail/dynamail.php

• jeffjeff Member

@pubcrawler said: Email is a rather latency insensitive type application. Email with up to 200ms end to end probably is sufficient for nearly everyone.

Iceland seems like a good country since the "media haven" laws were passed. Ping time is slightly over 200ms from usa west coast.

• @jeff said: Iceland seems like a good country since the "media haven" laws were passed. Ping time is slightly over 200ms from usa west coast.

That'll be halved once this cable is lit up!

• marcmmarcm Member

Well, if you want the cheapest I don't think that anyone can beat GoDaddy's annual email hosting. They are cheap, and if you use a coupon they become even cheaper. IIRC you can get something like ~25 accounts for less than $2/month with their yearly pricing. Check it out, as everything else will set you back at least $10/month.

• MrXMrX Member

@marcm said: Well, if you want the cheapest I don't think that anyone can beat GoDaddy's annual email hosting.

OP wants non-US.

• Iceland seems like a good country since the "media haven" laws were passed. Ping time is slightly over 200ms from usa west coast.

@Jeff, have a link or summary of these media haven laws? Missed those on my radar.

• @pubcrawler said: @Jeff, have a link or summary of these media haven laws? Missed those on my radar.

Wikipedia is never a great legal reference, but this gives you the gist.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Modern_Media_Institute

• BBTNBBTN Member

@Diesel: I went with versio.nl

• Thanks @Elliotj, nothing extremely on point therein about email and data retention. Wonder how much of barrier language will make in researching the relative Icelandic laws?...