Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email hosting providers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email hosting providers?

2»

Comments

• jeffjeff Member
    edited April 2013

@ElliotJ said: Wikipedia is never a great legal reference, but this gives you the gist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Modern_Media_Institute

https://immi.is/

I am looking for specifics, nothing yet.

• @jeff said: I am looking for specifics, nothing yet.

It seems like the IMMI is, to an extent, an advocacy group who's proposals have been passed through the Icelandic parliament.
    Whilst the proposals have been passed they may have not yet been fully implemented into the Icelandic legal system just yet.

• jeffjeff Member

@pubcrawler said: have a link or summary of these media haven laws? Missed those on my radar.

I can find much specifically and the status update on the proposal passed in June 2012 on the IMMI website is missing.

I am interested in setting up two mail servers in Iceland. For my purposes, what exists now legally is enough for me. IF I find out more I will update.

• Well @jeff, if you get around to ever offering a mail service out of there feel free to let me know :)

• jeffjeff Member

@pubcrawler said: if you get around to ever offering a mail service out of there feel free to let me know :)

Will do!

• If you don't mind the start up cost, OpenSRS has reseller email hosting at very reasonable rates. 5GB mailboxes, custom webmail (recently updated), Canada based.

My understanding in legal terms is that Canada will honor some US law enforcement requests but they have to meet certain Canadian standards.

• Thanks @ctalkington. Always good to see something new recommended.

OpenSRS is a Tucows offer. They are an American company. So as such, inevitably bound by US laws and long arm reach applies for US citizens. There would be no implied or otherwise security/privacy dealing with them, sadly.

• @pubcrawler are you sure? im pretty sure they are headquartered in Canada and only some investment related things in US.

I've only used them for offloading email from hosting servers so haven't had any legality issues to date.

• @pubcrawler just found SEC filings so guess you're right :) Seems their attorney in PA files it for them.

I'm based in US so its not a huge deal for me but I can see how it might be for others who do not wish to be tangled up in our legal system.

• Good question @ctalkington :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucows
    Tucows Inc. or Tucows (originally an acronym for The Ultimate Collection of Winsock Software, a name which has long since been dropped) was formed in Flint, Michigan, USA in 1993. It incorporated in Pennsylvania and headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Well, then this kind of confirms things in recent terms, since Tucows was bought, merged, moved, etc. over the years:

Tucows, Inc - Recent Material Event

Item 2.02. Results of Operations and Financial Condition.

On November 13, 2012, Tucows Inc., a Pennsylvania corporation (the “Company”), issued a press release reporting its financial results for its third quarter ended September 30, 2012. A copy of such press release is filed herewith as Exhibit 99.1.

Unsure why anyone would incorporate in Pennsylvania of all places. Zero benefits of doing so.

• Folks have to realize that whether a US citizen or not, the US IRS just got outed for snooping on email of citizens. Their head legal counsel and other brass claim email does not require a warrant so it's free range turkey hunting for them.

What the IRS or any other agency takes, these days ends up for eternity in Federal government systems to be mined and profiled against. No thanks, I already gave at the office.

• @pubcrawler def interesting the way have it all setup.

I wont get into politics here but you have some valid points, but its also a fundamental issue with laws and the fact it takes so long for any reform to happen that the issue is almost mute by the time it is.

• Problem with the data-centric world is that's the goal. Medical records going digital aren't yet proven to benefit patients, instead mining those to go grab guns from someone prescribed some medication 20 years ago.

Orwell was shortsighted on exactly how bad and all encompassing this would be.

Clearly, any large publicly traded company cannot be trusted to keep your data private. Most have abstract money making routines involving your data, details, etc. No company I see yet stands up to the governments.

I'll be shopping for private services where the well heeled stash their cash :)