Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Passive income? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Passive income?

Comments

• @AuroraZ said: NO more Family Guy for you Mister! :P

:D

• bnmklbnmkl Member

lol @MrObvious.

Interesting @bdtech.

Affiliate Earnings - BlueHost : $31,050

Blimey !

• @mpkossen said: Or get a raise. You seem to handle shitloads of good hardware and you said you had access cards to several DC. It doesn't seem like the kind of job that makes you need an extra 50/100 a month.

@BronzeByte said: Guess he is lying/bragging then?

Let me clarify, the passive income part would be just to let my hobby pay itself (LEB's).

I work my ass off in the hospital as a nurse, and besides that have clients for which I do IT/Network/Linux admin. They all (at first) wonder how I do that and how I combine the two. That is because my setups are always HA and done right, so when I'm working in the hospital and shit breaks, it still works and I can easily finish my shift and take a look at it before anyone notices.

Now the hospital does not pay well for the work we do. (2.5K). But it is enough to cover all my basic expenses. The IT part is extra and generates me a good 8K extra / month, which after the costs for DC, hardware and such are off is about 6K. Half of that goes directly to the bank, the other half is used for "business". Im a "perrefessionel", you know?

So I don't need it, but as said, it would be nice if the LEB hobby sustained itself.

• @Raymii said: So I don't need it, but as said, it would be nice if the LEB hobby sustained itself.

Ah, gotcha! I know exactly what you mean Though I don't have an answer for you :) Good luck anyway. I'll send you a message if I think of something.

@BronzeByte said: Guess he is lying/bragging then?

That's not what I was trying to imply here. I'm sorry if it came off as such.

• Those days when LEB was run by LEA, just being an active member in a few hosting forums and selling signature links / profile space was enough to cover my LEB invoices. I have gotten old/busy after that...

• @Raymii said: Now the hospital does not pay well for the work we do. (2.5K). But it is enough to cover all my basic expenses. The IT part is extra and generates me a good 8K extra / month, which after the costs for DC, hardware and such are off is about 6K. Half of that goes directly to the bank, the other half is used for "business". Im a "perrefessionel", you know?

So you earn 3+ times more from IT work? Damn, 10K income is brutal. (the taxes on it too in NL)

• @Raymii said: I work my ass off in the hospital as a nurse, and besides that have clients for which I do IT/Network/Linux admin.

Cool. I could hear you saying "You wont need these tablets and jab, if you had changed your OS to ubuntu and take a managed VPS plan from me. The time for change is NOW"

• @Raymii said: That is because my setups are always HA and done right, so when I'm working in the hospital and shit breaks, it still works and I can easily finish my shift and take a look at it before anyone notices.

Kudos on the approach - like it!

I'm with you on the LEB-self-financing-kick though. Decided a while back to make this hobby of mine pay for itself. That meant cancelling a bunch of VPSes and now thinking to do a HA setup on 128MB VPSes at about 3USD per month total... Income is just GOOG ads and AMZN affiliate stuff. I'm at the "small change stage" so lowering my costs whilst doing HA seems a sensible move.

• @Raymii said: it would be nice if the LEB hobby sustained itself

As many have suggested you should go about using Adsense on your raymii.org website. I notice that it gets good traffic and especially this page gets most traffic, if I am correct. I am sure properly implementing Adsense on this website should fetch you at least $50 or more per month.

You may need to apply a few seo tips to further help Google and other search engines.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@peppr said: just being an active member in a few hosting forums and selling signature links / profile space was enough to cover my LEB invoices. I have gotten old/busy after that...

Wait, people actually do that (sell their signature space)? So all those people offering to buy my signature ad space weren't joking ...

• @vedran said: Wait, people actually do that (sell their signature space)? So all those people offering to buy my signature ad space weren't joking ...

No probably not common practice on a lot of forums. They figure the more links they have on a site the better search engines will rank them.

Also if you happen to be a Mod or Admin they think people will choose their services over others if their links are in their signatures.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
  • @vedran said: Wait, people actually do that (sell their signature space)? So all those people offering to buy my signature ad space weren't joking ...

Those were the days where more backlinks = better seo saga.. now with panda and pengiun.. not really a seo thing, however it works as a referral when the person is reputed in the forum.

• That's an 11-year old article and it's not about advertising. It's about a guy that doesn't like advertising. I understand the guy was frustrated (the better wording is somewhat different) at the time. We live in a different world now, though, and it involves advertising on the internet. It's not all bad. Remy is best off putting up ads on his blog if he wants to have passive income. It's the easiest way with the least effort.

edited April 2013

@mpkossen said: We live in a different world now, though, and it involves advertising on the internet.

It's very clear that you have not read the entire article.

EDIT: If anyone has trouble reading due to the colors, here you go: http://sprunge.us/MEfh

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@raymii
    You make 8K euro / month ?
    Thats 2 times the money I make which support my LEB habit and my family.

• @MikHo said: You make 8K euro / month ?

Thats 2 times the money I make which support my LEB habit and my family.

No, actually on average is is 20K, all amounts earlier are with taxes applied. Once you start earning much you pay 52% tax on it...

For about 4 years there were no ads on Raymii.org/relst.nl. Since a few months I'm trying google ads, but it is not more than $5/month...

• @Raymii said: but it is not more than $5/month...

That is too low for your site, I believe. If I were running WP I would have tried different ad sizes and placements easily with a plugin like Quick Adsense.

• @joepie91 said: It's very clear that you have not read the entire article.

I could ask you the same ;-) But I believe we read the same article, though. Let me elaborate on what I said before. I had only one functional eye at the time (eye surgery) so I kept it short because I was getting dizzy.

I said "We live in a different world now". With that, I meant to say: a lot has changed, both on the web and on the advertizing sides. The web has evolved to (also) become a commercial means and advertising has (mostly) evolved into something more subtle (depending on the site owner, of course) and more sophisticated. One of the biggest Internet companies nowadays is an advertizing agency.

The author of the article is clearly speaking about how advertizing was done back then and yes, that was nasty. However, advertising has changed in a way that you can blend in ads in a very subtle way, without abusing your website or your visitors and while making some money to cover your costs. It's not about selling out, manipulating minds, etc. For most small site owners, the Pimp-factor is nowhere to be found. Besides, you only get Pimped if you let yourself be Pimped by marketeers.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Raymii said: No, actually on average is is 20K, all amounts earlier are with taxes applied. Once you start earning much you pay 52% tax on it...

If you make 20K euro / month (before taxes) you should be able to finance your LEB habit... or you are heavy in debt, paying loads of interest on the loans.

• @MikHo said: If you make 20K euro / month (before taxes) you should be able to finance your LEB habit... or you are heavy in debt, paying loads of interest on the loans.

You should also live in a villa and drive a big-ass car or 2 imo. And you're probably able to get a sh*tload of dedi's instead of LEB's if you wanted hehe. 10K/month should be able to fund pretty much all your hobbies I think.

• @MikHo said: If you make 20K euro / month (before taxes) you should be able to finance your LEB habit... or you are heavy in debt, paying loads of interest on the loans.

He is able to finance it, but maybe he feels guilty about it. And maybe also his wife doesn't like this hobby, etc.

edited April 2013

@mpkossen said: The author of the article is clearly speaking about how advertizing was done back then

No, he isn't. He's speaking about exactly the phenomenon you are describing, where everything is turned into a sales pitch, and then I'm not even talking about the countless other points that are made in the article that still apply. If you don't believe it, I'm sure that SketchCow in #archiveteam-bs on efnet will be glad to clarify - after all, he's the original author of the article.

@mpkossen said: However, advertising has changed in a way that you can blend in ads in a very subtle way

This only means that advertising is even more effective. The point of advertising is to influence people without it being noticeable.

@mpkossen said: It's not about selling out, manipulating minds, etc. For most small site owners, the Pimp-factor is nowhere to be found. Besides, you only get Pimped if you let yourself be Pimped by marketeers.

Complete and total bullshit, completely leaving the psychological aspect out of the equation, despite that aspect being exactly what marketing is built on.

If you believe that advertising can be easily ignored, that it doesn't bother or influence people... then feel free to explain why companies continue to invest (hundreds of) thousands of dollars into it, despite it clearly "not working", if your explanation is to be believed.

• FlapadarFlapadar Member
    edited April 2013

Play the bitcoin market? In the last few weeks it's shot up from like ~$80 to ~$130 per bitcoin.

The only effort involved would be buying bitcoins, and choosing when to sell. Not entirely passive by definition, but easy enough

• IntcsIntcs Member

Play the bitcoin market? In the last few weeks it's shot up from like ~$80 to ~$130 per bitcoin.

The only effort involved would be buying bitcoins, and choosing when to sell. Not entirely passive by definition, but easy enough

I have around 2.5k USD to trade with, do you think it's profitable increase if I "get in" ?

• @joepie91 said: No, he isn't.

It's very clear that you have not read the entire article. ;-)

Or you didn't understand it and/or my response. You probably don't know what a sales pitch is :) But then again, I think you hate capitalism, so I don't think it even makes sense to explain this :) No pun or harm intended.

I didn't intend to start a bitch-fight with you, so I will leave it here. If you wanna discuss this, feel free to PM me :)

• @Intcs said: I have around 2.5k USD to trade with, do you think it's profitable increase if I "get in" ?

That would have to be a personal choice. I certainly would hate to say do it, then watch the bottom fall out and you are left with the Change Obama promised.

edited April 2013

@mpkossen said: It's very clear that you have not read the entire article. ;-)

Or you didn't understand it and/or my response. You probably don't know what a sales pitch is :) But then again, I think you hate capitalism, so I don't think it even makes sense to explain this :) No pun or harm intended.

I didn't intend to start a bitch-fight with you, so I will leave it here. If you wanna discuss this, feel free to PM me :)

If you believe I am misunderstanding his article, then it takes only a few minutes to connect to the efnet channel I mentioned, and ask him yourself.

Instead of doing so, you just throw a bunch of crap along the lines of "you're not going to understand it anyway" and attempt to shut down the discussion, having the "last word".

Right.

• FlapadarFlapadar Member
    edited April 2013

@Intcs it's at the point where it's getting risky to enter. When it was $80 and rising sharply, getting in was definitely smart (I wish I had); but now that it's stable at ~$130-140, making any money would be risky.

LTC/lightcoin is where it's at right now so I've heard though.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited April 2013

@miTgiB @Flapadar Thanks appreciate those insights! For now I will keep my eye on it for sometime!

As for Obama, unless he is posting here as @Liam who suggested Bitcoin as "the future", I wouldn't blame him ;)