Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Passive income? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Passive income?

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@ztec said: Create an information product

This sounds suspiciously much like internet marketing.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@Ruchirablog said: Whats your country? Well it wont happen instantly right? You can always move out if you sense that it will collapse.

The country was Yugoslavia. And no, you can't really. By the time you sense it will collapse, others will sense it too and everyone will try to withdraw their money. No bank can pay out all the savings at once since they just don't have all that money in cash. Ideally it's invested somewhere, but if everything is about to fall apart some people will know it long before common people and they'll grab as much as they can.

Then you get what you have in Cyprus now: a limit on how much you can withdraw right away, long term payoff plans and whatnot. By the time shit hits the fan, you'll have just a tiny portion of your savings.

• @pubcrawler said: Bonds and stocks are a sure way to LOSE money. Well at least in the last 6 years and certainly inflation adjusted against any "gains".

@pubcrawler how do you form this opinion? It is fairly common to earn 9% from the market, and yes, there are up/down years, but overall, going back 10, 20, 30, ....100 years you can average 9%

Sure if you invested at the peak in 2007 you'd be back even now, but lost the inflation tax, but had you bought in 2009 you'd be up 40% or more depending how you invested. But even more common is investing small regular amounts each month, and then it is not uncommon to have 100%+ gains over time, or 9% a year.

I am more interested in what @raymii considers passive though, I see a lot of talk in this thread, but he never stated what he considers passive and what he has to start with to earn this 50-100 a month, surely not out of thin air.

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited April 2013

Inspired by http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360209435625:

40,000 PICTURES - Clipart Images Clip Art

One could write a bash script to collect all /r/spaceclop images and then sell them as an online slide show.

Save peoples precious time by removing the need to tediously click through links.

• @miTgiB said: @pubcrawler how do you form this opinion? It is fairly common to earn 9% from the market, and yes, there are up/down years, but overall, going back 10, 20, 30, ....100 years you can average 9%

Now it's good in my country. Earned 16% in 3 months =)

• @jcaleb said: Now it's good in my country. Earned 16% in 3 months =)

With inflation at? You can do 16% short term anyplace I think, all depends on your tolerance to risk.

• bnmklbnmkl Member

That makes Zopa look like a poor idea.

Bad rates everywhere.

• @bnmkl said: Bad rates everywhere.

I use http://lendingclub.com for p2p lending and earn about 15% before defaults, so I expect 9-10% is plausable

• Honestly if you have spare cpu and gpu processing power you may want to try bitcoin or litecoin mining. its slow if you have anything less than a quad-core with a dual gpu's but if you invest a little (2-600) you may be able to start making some money. I have old gaming rigs that i use to do this though i only run them a few hours a day so my income is not that great with it. i used an old laptop with an i5(untill it blew up) andit was very slow but could have made me 10 bucks a month at its running speed. a desktop with a stronger cpu would do much better.

• kalamkalam Member

@NickGH I'm pretty sure that the cost of electricity will be more than your bitcoin return, especially mining with a CPU.

• @miTgiB, lendingclub looks mighty interesting.

It is fairly common to earn 9% from the market, and yes, there are up/down years, but overall, going back 10, 20, 30, ....100 years you can average 9%

Sure if you invested at the peak in 2007 you'd be back even now, but lost the inflation tax, but had you bought in 2009 you'd be up 40% or more depending how you invested

9% ROI isn't anything to write home about. Think about that in relation to other things like say sales tax, which in most US states is but a few points lower.

If we say reasonable person can accumulate $10k of idle investment money. 9% return = $900. That's pre all fees, pre risk, pre losses, doesn't account for investment time on your end to determine what to invest in and research. Investing isn't passive unless someone does it for you and that you pay heavily for.

Absent all costs and losses 10 years of 9% ROI on $10K will take you up to $22k. It just isn't worth it and exposure to risks especially in stocks is huge.

I'd never buy another market stock again. Spent 3 years as a day trader and made a good living on 4 hours of work a day. Bonds? Maybe. Commodities, yes.

All that said, @raymii like others isn't sitting on liquidity piles. Money to make money requires constant stability and other revenue streams and the investment pile is funny money able to be lost at whims of the market. Otherwise, the "investor" starves. This is what happened in the run up to the Great Depression. Any legal investment company requires a household real net positive wealth north of $250k to even have you as a customer.

• NexusNexus Member

@superpilesos said: Make a useful program, ensure that there are no bugs, and don't allow anyone to contact you to suggest features.

HAHAHA made my day :D

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited April 2013

Amazon Mechanical Turk

Or get a raise. You seem to handle shitloads of good hardware and you said you had access cards to several DC. It doesn't seem like the kind of job that makes you need an extra 50/100 a month.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited April 2013

@pubcrawler said: 9% ROI isn't anything to write home about. Think about that in relation to other things like say sales tax, which in most US states is but a few points lower.

You've completely lost me here, I've never seen such an apple/orange relationship

@pubcrawler said: Spent 3 years as a day trader and made a good living on 4 hours of work a day.

Then you know how to become a millionaire in the market, start will a billion. Day trading takes a special talent few have but is quick to be name dropped, long term buy and hold is investing, day trading is speculating.

@pubcrawler said: All that said, @raymii like others isn't sitting on liquidity piles.

Which is exactly why I asked what is his view of a passive investment. For all we know, his definition may have nothing to do with passive.

• @pubcrawler said: 9% ROI isn't anything to write home about. Think about that in relation to other things like say sales tax, which in most US states is but a few points lower.

You've completely lost me here, I've never seen such an apple/orange relationship

It is apple/orange.

But, think about 9% ROI in any realistic terms. $10k idle cash @ 9% won't make enough to cover much, even at 100% of that being returned to you. Some folks can live on $900 a month, but $900 a year, that's probably impossible most countries. Enough to meet @raymii's monthly infusion though :)

long term buy and hold is investing, day trading is speculating.

Investing is a soiled and abused word. Investing in anything is speculating. I'd argue lazy idle money sitting with stock held is less smart investing. It's expecting growth and not paying attention. Idle investing is fine if you have inherited gobs of wealth sat already in such. Go back 20 years and look at many share values compared to today and it isn't so rosy unless you hit the lottery in picks with early IPO buy ins. Staple backbone companies are a very mixed ROI lot even over very long time.

Idle investment in precious metals or raw timbered land over past 20 years would usually dwarf stock idle investing.

Contrast that to day trading which as I ran it was to buy early, sell before lunch and never try to hold stock for any period of time. It's the same model as currency trading. Take all the noise of the day and buy and sell on peaks across volume of shares. 6 cents over thousands of shares multiplies. Every day has fluctuation. It is the pulse of the stock market.

I got out of stocks because of the manipulation and the conversion to mainly automated trading. Vast majority of the stock market transactions aren't humans, but machines. It's just machine learning and machine warfare.

First definition of the word invest:
    "1. To commit (money or capital) in order to gain a financial return:"

So nearly anything is investing.

• @pubcrawler said: Go back 20 years and look at many share values compared to today and it isn't so rosy unless you hit the lottery in picks with early IPO buy ins. Staple backbone companies are a very mixed ROI lot even over very long time.

I don't have to, I only have to look at my own portfolio that dates back 30 years, and it has averaged 9% a year over time, some good, some bad times, but overall. I can't understand how you can be so negative on this subject and I'm trying to see your point, but there is no point for me to see.

If you think 9% annualized returns are so horrible, what are you interested in? The goal for most is to preserve wealth for later years to live off of. Which is all I hope to gain from what I am able to spare today.

• @miTgiB said: Which is exactly why I asked what is his view of a passive investment. For all we know, his definition may have nothing to do with passive.

It was worded quite well by @joepie91:

As it seems most people in this thread don't know what 'passive income' is, it means a one-off effort that provides continuous income with little or no continuous effort invested into it.

I do have traded in some (160) bitcoins, which resulted in about $12.000, since they were on $77/coin... However, that supply is running out fast as well, don't have many left. But yes, doing a "Chief" would be nice, but where do I get a forum like LET?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@NickGH said: Honestly if you have spare cpu and gpu processing power you may want to try bitcoin or litecoin mining.

No, no, no, no, and no. Computing power is not free, even if you already have the hardware. You're still paying electricity costs, and you are extremely unlikely to earn more than you spend.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@joepie91 said: No, no, no, no, and no. Computing power is not free, even if you already have the hardware. You're still paying electricity costs, and you are extremely unlikely to earn more than you spend.

It's "free" if your parents pay for it. I think that's how most part-time bitcoin miners earn their pocket money.

• @joepie91 said: No, no, no, no, and no. Computing power is not free, even if you already have the hardware. You're still paying electricity costs, and you are extremely unlikely to earn more than you spend.

@vedran said: It's "free" if your parents pay for it. I think that's how most part-time bitcoin miners earn their pocket money.

Yeah, sadly I'm not a summer host, and also have my own house (and morgage :( )...

• @Raymii said: I do have traded in some (160) bitcoins, which resulted in about $12.000

With that sort of stake, with I guess a desire to retain stability while earning something with it, depending on your country, p2p lending may be what you are looking for until you are able to find something else, I easily collect $25/mo in interest payments on my funds, and with more to lend, you can diversify greater to preserve capital. I would guess with $12k you can expect to collect around $75/mo in interest. While nothing is a sure thing, p2p lending has proven in good and bad economic times with 800 $25 notes to not lose capital. Anything less you do stand some risk.

@Raymii said: But yes, doing a "Chief" would be nice, but where do I get a forum like LET?

Well, doing what is perceived by those of this forum what a "Chief" is and what reality is, a forum is far from passive.

• @miTgiB said: With inflation at? You can do 16% short term anyplace I think, all depends on your tolerance to risk.

yes, just too much speculation in our market at the moment. its the performance of the market in general

• @miTgiB

If you think 9% annualized returns are so horrible, what are you interested in? The goal for most is to preserve wealth for later years to live off of.

Your portfolio is far from typical if you are realizing constant gains like that. Stocks do not typically keep increasing in volume and long term holders often these days aren't rewarded. Problem is gains are only realized once you cash out. Until then, paper gains which could be wiped away tomorrow. I trust nothing to hold like that. If you believe stocks you hold are going to increase, then sell them and buy them back and take profits as you go. Leverage profits to buy more :)

I won't bore you, but when I was trading I was doing better than 9% on a daily basis. Mind you, the amounts fluctuated, so profit pre costs would often be $200-$400 a transaction. Leveraging $2-$4k per transaction to yield such. Bad part was accumulating capital as transactions do have a period of time where the funds and profits while on the books are unavailable. Always was too long and tied up funds.

• Bonds is much safer if you worry too much about volatility

• You seem to handle shitloads of good hardware and you said you had access cards to several DC. It doesn't seem like the kind of job that makes you need an extra 50/100 a month.

Guess he is lying/bragging then?

• Well if you want some quick income, you could sleep with 10 fat chicks for $10 a piece, or 5 fat chicks for $20 a piece, or one fat chick for $100.

• passive means you do nothing, it earns by itself

• @MrObvious said: Well if you want some quick income, you could sleep with 10 fat chicks for $10 a piece, or 5 fat chicks for $20 a piece, or one fat chick for $100.

NO more Family Guy for you Mister! :P

• thank you for the share boss