Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iPad Pro 12.9" as a laptop replacement? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iPad Pro 12.9" as a laptop replacement?

Comments

• jbarrjbarr Member
    edited August 2017

How about a Chromebook? There are several articles out recently that describe using a Chromebook as a development platform and a MacBook replacement.

Several solid "flip" versions are available for well under $500 giving you the features of both laptops and tablets.

And with Android apps and chroot using Crouton, your options go way up.

• @jbarr said:
    How about a Chromebook? There are several articles out recently that describe using a Chromebook as a development platform and a MacBook replacement.

Several solid "flip" versions are available for well under $500 giving you the features of both laptops and tablets.

And with Android apps and chroot using Crouton, your options go way up.

I can't stand using Chrome all the time. It gets to me after a while.

(I'm referring to the new Material settings page. I hate Material design.)

• I sold my MBP 2015 and bought a iPad Pro 10,5. No issues so far, but I bring my work laptop home on weekends just in case.

Make sure you download iOS11 Beta

Thanked by 1ScienceOnline
  • Don't.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Windmm said:
    Don't.

Insightful.

• Nekki said: Insightful.

I tried this before after my Mac 13" got broken. It's great but not as expected. Working with a 'real' computer is a lot easier imho. You could try to get a Surface + Filco Minila.

How about Mac 12"?

Thanked by 1rsk
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

I tried to do the switch, especially when I am travelling. It just doesn't work for us IT geeks.

I mean, everything can be done through an ipad, sure, just not as easy as you think. Hence it removes the "convenience" part of it.

I settled for a small macbook and called it a day. Been happy ever since.

If you however will use it to just read comics, then sure, go ahead and get an ipad :)

• I'm a Web Designer, I switched from a 15" MacBook Pro to an iPad Pro 10.5" with https://logitech.com/en-gb/product/multi-device-keyboard-k380 – the 3 Yellow buttons on the top of the keyboard allow you to switch to 3 different devices to and fro.

I use Panic's Coda (https://panic.com/coda-ios/) for iOS, has markdown, syntax-editor, supports S/FTP, has Terminal, etc – £23.99 but we'll worth it for something that just works.

The biggest difficulty on iOS was my addiction to source:// in Chrome on Desktop, so I wrote a PHP/JavaScript equivalent that I access locally from the browser.

I love the portability, I can quickly grab it and dash out the house, having the SIM-card version of the iPad, I never have to worry about finding a Hotspot either.

If you want to do it, you need to be able to take a stab at it for at least 6-8 weeks and then you'll manage to find your own workflow and methods of working with the device to suit your needs.

• WSSWSS Member

@rsk said:
    I tried to do the switch, especially when I am travelling. It just doesn't work for us IT geeks.

I mean, everything can be done through an ipad, sure, just not as easy as you think. Hence it removes the "convenience" part of it.

This. Flat out perfectly stated, and accurate. I only took a tablet when I went skyhopping over to Europe, and it was an abysmal experience to try to care and feed for my boxen.. thankfully I didn't have anything important that I needed to handle.

• I tried very hard to replace my Macbook Pro with an iPad Pro. I really tried hard. I wanted it to be possible. But the Macbook won in the end. At least for the kind of work that I have to get done. Now I use my iPad for everything leisure-related (and some bits of work) and do the real stuff with my Macbook again.

• sonicsonic Veteran

@3606202 said:
    I tried very hard to replace my Macbook Pro with an iPad Pro. I really tried hard. I wanted it to be possible. But the Macbook won in the end. At least for the kind of work that I have to get done. Now I use my iPad for everything leisure-related (and some bits of work) and do the real stuff with my Macbook again.

I have same experience.

Thanked by 13606202
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

3606202 said: I tried very hard to replace my Macbook Pro with an iPad Pro. I really tried hard. I wanted it to be possible. But the Macbook won in the end. At least for the kind of work that I have to get done. Now I use my iPad for everything leisure-related (and some bits of work) and do the real stuff with my Macbook again.

I have the same experience and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Thanked by 13606202
  • HxxxHxxx Member

I know for a fact that for me it would be really hard to replace PC or Mac for the iPad Pro. It just ... I mean its kind of limited. Maybe with a mechanical keyboard and a good mouse might be easier...

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Hxxx said:
    Maybe with a mechanical keyboard and a good mouse might be easier...

Keyboard is possible but I don't believe there is any mouse/cursor functionality built into iOS like there is on Android, all touchscreen.

• WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said:

@Hxxx said:
    Maybe with a mechanical keyboard and a good mouse might be easier...

Keyboard is possible but I don't believe there is any mouse/cursor functionality built into iOS like there is on Android, all touchscreen.

Plug a mouse into an OTG adapter into virtually any Android device. You'll be SHOCKED and AMAZED what happens.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

Plug a mouse into an OTG adapter into virtually any Android device. You'll be SHOCKED and AMAZED what happens.

I know, have used it before, works great.

I don't believe there is any mouse/cursor functionality built into iOS ... like there is on Android

• @Nekki said:

@WSS said:

"Reading".

Hentai has words....well, it has written approximations of sounds at least.

Android has way better exhentai clients IMO.

• WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said:

I don't believe there is any mouse/cursor functionality built into iOS ... like there is on Android

See, I parsed that as "is also NOT on Android". Sobriety after a long day of physical labor is not my bag.

• Harambe said: 12.9" is 60Hz, 10.5" is 120Hz

Sure, the density (DPI) is also way different as is the connection (eDP vs. custom) and thus the controller (SMC vs. supplier), however as it is an entirely different display tech this comparison is not fair anyway.

JustAMacUser said: With iPads the hardware is there, but the software needs time to mature. My advice is to give it a try for a month and see what it's like. Then post here to share how it went.

These exist since a long time now (i remember buying an original one 2011 or around there) and... it did not change that much.

I personally cannot seriously use either a small iPad (in our case a mini 3) or a large one (air 2) or consider it as replacement for my MBA. Next will be thus a 2016/2017 MBP, with touchbar and CTO 16GB.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Thanks for the opinions folks - seems that the overwhelming opinion is that the switch to iPad is do-able, but ultimately there are too many concessions that need to be made for it to be anywhere near a seamless transition.

Guess I'm sticking with my iPad Mini 4 and picking up a new MacBook in the not too distant. Just need to decide if I want a 12" or 13"!

• WSSWSS Member

We know you're all about the size..

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@WSS said:

I just can't take more than 12".

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

We just gotta get you a bit horny, a little moist, and a touch drunk. It'll be fine.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

We just gotta get you a bit horny, a little moist, and a touch drunk. It'll be fine.

Be gentle!

• WSSWSS Member

Pfft! Gentle? My god, man, I thought I KNEW YOU!

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2017

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

On that note, you won't notice the difference between 12" and 13". Save your money and go for the 12" MacBook.

• HxxxHxxx Member

You know what they say, the bigger the better.

@Nekki said:
    Thanks for the opinions folks - seems that the overwhelming opinion is that the switch to iPad is do-able, but ultimately there are too many concessions that need to be made for it to be anywhere near a seamless transition.

Guess I'm sticking with my iPad Mini 4 and picking up a new MacBook in the not too distant. Just need to decide if I want a 12" or 13"!

• Nekki said: Just need to decide if I want a 12" or 13"!

The 12" is rather useless - only port it has is USB 3.1 Gen1 (so USB 3.0 5Gbit in type C with power delivery and DP alternate mode), no Thunderbolt.

The CPU is weak and the general thing is overpriced, albeit the colors are neat and it is REALLY thin with a damn nice display.

• WSSWSS Member

Just get a chromebook- you can always transcode your hentai.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2017

William said: The 12" is rather useless - only port it has is USB 3.1 Gen1 (so USB 3.0 5Gbit in type C with power delivery and DP alternate mode), no Thunderbolt.

The CPU is weak and the general thing is overpriced, albeit the colors are neat and it is REALLY thin with a damn nice display.

It's actually quite great in practice. It does have a headphone port also, which is a little humorous. But the CPU being weak, you'd think it would make a bigger difference than it does. Clearly the OS is optimized for it to a powerful degree, because I've been more than impressed with it. Obviously the NVME storage is going to play a big role in that, reducing a common point of lost performance.

With the 1st gen model I walked into the Apple store and they had all of their pro apps installed on it, Final Cut and Logic Pro, all of it. I thought "Let's push that little crap CPU" and did a select all in the Applications folder and an Open. It was all done in less than 15 seconds. I never complained about the CPU again. Working off the 1st gen model at home every now and then and it still runs like a beast.