Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google cracking down on purchased "unlimited" drive accounts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google cracking down on purchased "unlimited" drive accounts

corbpiecorbpie Member
edited May 2017 in General

As per reddit thread. Mine got suspended at 1.4tb

Thanked by 1Janevski

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited May 2017

One of mine as well - gdrive.info. Had almost 14 TB up.

Guess it's time to buy a business account

• ihadpihadp Member

To be clear, this isn't people whom purchased their own GSuite account and are using unlimited storage even though it's not suppose to be included until after 5 accounts.

This is accounts purchased off eBay.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
  • bapbap Member

Had almost 200TB, and its fine. :)

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It's really quite amazing how many bad times would not be had by all, if everyone subscribed to one simple rule for their lives:

Don't be a dick.

• sibapersibaper Member

from these reddit info, you got banned if you purchased account from 3rd party

• 13TB, still strong.

They are removing students accounts? Because mine are this type, not business.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    It's really quite amazing how many bad times would not be had by all, if everyone subscribed to one simple rule for their lives:

Don't be a dick.

Amen, but on both sides. Dont offer an "Unlimited" if its not...

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I suspected this would happen eventually... the price was too unreal for it to last plus well, it's google, hardly anything gets by them for too long. Not to mention with that sort of usage, I would notice it! lol

• Time for @cociu to beat Google ;)
    Just do a second round with kvm and from the experience you have in storage :)

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:
    Surprised it took this long really.

Indeed. Most of these are so damn blatant: gsuites.org, gdrive.info, etc.

Now lets hope they don't crack down on us who have the (paid) single user unlimited storage accounts... Happy to keep paying $10/mo.

• Rip, my dummy account was disabled.

Thanked by 1lowendusername
  • cociucociu Member

inthecloudblog said: Time for @cociu to beat Google

google is my friend so cannot fsck-him ....

• It's amazing people buying ebay accounts assume they'll last.

• SgrocksSgrocks Member

mine is still active bought Gsuite business account and transferring all data :P

• bapbap Member

@pbgben said:

@jarland said:

Don't be a dick.

Amen, but on both sides. Dont offer an "Unlimited" if its not...

Totally agree... Every man have a dick anyway.. :v

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

That's bad news as those assholes will now flood to gsuite business and Google will eventually enforce the 1TB limit per user.

Thanked by 3netomx Issam2204 paily
  • teamaccteamacc Member

@tr1cky said:
    That's bad news as those assholes will now flood to gsuite business and Google will eventually enforce the 1TB limit per user.

You mean that you dislike getting what you pay for?

• sanvitsanvit Member

Well, I only had like half a terabyte of Linux ISOs and still have a copy on my oneprovider dedi. Still bad news.... :(

• EdmondEdmond Member

Wonder how many extra hard drives will they have after all the suspensions on the accounts. Must have been a warehouse full of them used before, not everything's just being wiped..

• @Edmond said:
    Wonder how many extra hard drives will they have after all the suspensions on the accounts.

Google probably just toggles a bit flag 'used/unused'. Their data (very high probability) must be encrypted at-rest.

• So that's what's been keeping me up whole night... And I thought that cracking sound are rats and night bandits.

• chxchx Member
    edited May 2017

I do not really know about that 1TB limit. I just upped from a single user basic plan to business plan and this is the welcome email: http://i.imgur.com/h3IKNZA.png and Drive had this popup for me: http://i.imgur.com/vIKwMpD.png

Thanked by 2vimalware stefeman
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2017

@chx said:
    I do not really know about that 1TB limit. I just upped from a single user basic plan to business plan and this is the welcome email: http://i.imgur.com/h3IKNZA.png and Drive had this popup for me: http://i.imgur.com/vIKwMpD.png

Just tested this..

Here's the trick.. You have to choose the 4€ G Suite Basic with 14-days trial. Then create only one account (admin account). After verifying your site, adding the MX records, and inserting the credit card info, instantly go back to the billing site and upgrade to G Suite Business. This will cost 8€/m. Now you will get that "Unlimited Storage" notification. At this point you still have the 14-days trial so no money has been charged yet.

My friend did the same with another computer next to me, but he opted to buy G Suite Business directly without trial or upgrading and is now stuck with 1 TB Google Drive unless he adds/buys 4 accounts more lol.

Thanked by 3asf chx henkb
  • drizbodrizbo Member

@stefeman said:

@chx said:

Just tested this..

Here's the trick.. You have to choose the 4€ G Suite Basic with 14-days trial. Then create only one account (admin account). After verifying your site, adding the MX records, and inserting the credit card info, instantly go back to the billing site and upgrade to G Suite Business. This will cost 8€/m. Now you will get that "Unlimited Storage" notification. At this point you still have the 14-days trial so no money has been charged yet.

My friend did the same with another computer next to me, but he opted to buy G Suite Business directly without trial or upgrading and is now stuck with 1 TB Google Drive unless he adds/buys 4 accounts more lol.

But that 1TB is not enforced for now afaik, for now its unlimited even with 1 user.

• How much do you guys actually have with the G Suite? I can come up with close to 50 TB.. if I upload all of my stuff. Whats the chance of Google terminating my G Suite? How much is too much?

• 11TB on one of those accounts, terminated now. Have backup elsewhere, oh well.

• corbpiecorbpie Member

How much do you guys actually have with the G Suite? I can come up with close to 50 TB.. if I upload all of my stuff. Whats the chance of Google terminating my G Suite? How much is too much?

I would say that's excessive, unless you have a cloud business

• chxchx Member
    edited May 2017

The trial is not a necessary component, I had this account for many years, I am using it for other purposes. Thanks for the test; this sounds like a bug on Google's side that upgrading gives you unlimited but who am I to complain. The screenshots I posted here are saved away; I think even if Google begins to enforce its 1TB limit it will grandfather us as it always did. Also note that I do not plan on some mega hoarding; it'll probably be a few months before I go over 1TB and a long time before I go over 2TB. Both my home NAS and my Hetzner storage box is just 2TB and Google Drive for me is just backup. My current backup at Delimiter is just 1TB and I begun to look for cheap solutions to get a bigger one and this does the trick -- because I was already paying five bucks and five bucks is what I pay at Delimiter.

• @drizbo said:

Just tested this..
    Here's the trick..

Thanks @drizbo, that process just worked perfectly for me, single account but showing unlimited storage on drive.