Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent reseller hosting? (other than buyshared)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent reseller hosting? (other than buyshared)

So I've got a reseller with buyshared but support is lacking and coming across very moody/unhelpful. Not only that, but they don't seem to understand how PTR records work.

I've asked to be escalated to Fran but this has been rejected. Asked again but I have no hope for that happening.

Happy to keep VPS with them as I can't find any decent alternatives that provide anycast like they do, but I'm at the end of my tether with Val now.

Anyone out there offering decent priced and performance reseller hosting who understands a PTR record is needed these days when offering dedicated IPs?

Cheers,

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

Are you looking for VPS with cPanel, VPS only or Reseller hosting?

• lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited March 2017

@WHT said:
    Are you looking for VPS with cPanel, VPS only or Reseller hosting?

Just cPanel reseller hosting - all of them are for accounts of mine, I just like to keep them managed with different cPanel accounts :-)

Edit:

Just to add - I'm on the 20GB plan at the moment. Don't need a ton of space or bandwidth at the moment

• I would suggest HudsonvalleyHost. With 25% off, you will get their reseller for $3.75 i guess and thats with decent support.

BuyShared is infact a very decent hosting compared to others which are within the same range. yes, they charge for cpanel restores, but still their support is better than many similar hosts in the same price range.

Ultimately You get what you Pay for.

edited March 2017

@Mridul said:
    I would suggest HudsonvalleyHost. With 25% off, you will get their reseller for $3.75 i guess and thats with decent support.

BuyShared is infact a very decent hosting compared to others which are within the same range. yes, they charge for cpanel restores, but still their support is better than many similar hosts in the same price range.

Ultimately You get what you Pay for.

From my experience with their support and their Luxembourg reseller server having regular downtime almost every day ranging from 5 minutes to two hours over the past few months, their reputation isn't well deserved imo. Of course, YMMV

The VPS are fine and great though, but I haven't spent as much time playing with them yet

Cheers for the recommendation for Hudsonvalley! I'll check them out :-)

• (Sorry to double-post!)

Update: been told I can't have a PTR record because I use cloudflare for my domains. What?

They also don't offer support for me because I use cloudflare.

Right.

edited March 2017

(sorry to tripple-post)

Request now marked as complete with no response to my latest request for it to be escalated.

Wow. Top marks for customer service here. Really.

Edit: There was a response. Their WHMCS instance was severely delayed in sending the email.

An arsey reply, but a reply none-the-less.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

We provide reseller hosting in Dallas and Seattle and have done PTR on dedicated IPs many times before.

http://impactshared.com .

You can use code 20PERCENT for 20% off recurring

Just let me know if you have any questions.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco

Quick tag as a ticket is spilling in to lowendsupport talk too.

• I think you should tag @Francisco.

• WHTWHT Member

How you can check the PTR if you use cloudflare? Am not the pro but as I know when you do a research you get the cloudflare ip and not a dedicated ip records?

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @WHT said:
    How you can check the PTR if you use cloudflare? Am not the pro but as I know when you do a research you get the cloudflare ip and not a dedicated ip records?

Turn CloudFlare off for that A record in their dashboard.

Thanked by 1WHT

lukehebb said: Turn CloudFlare off for that A record in their dashboard.

And did you before asking for the PTR record?

• WHTWHT Member

@lukehebb said:

@WHT said:

Turn CloudFlare off for that A record in their dashboard.

I thought you are blaming someone why cloudflare do not shows my ptr :). Now its ok.

• @AnthonySmith said:

lukehebb said: Turn CloudFlare off for that A record in their dashboard.

And did you before asking for the PTR record?

I offered to set up an A record on cloudflare but as soon as they saw I use cloudflare that was it. I was told no.

All responses from them were "use our DNS or no"

lukehebb said: All responses from them were "use our DNS or no"

Seems a bit odd.

I am sure Fran will chime in soon enough with a reason for this.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Folks, if we want to talk about BuyVM/BuyShared support issues, please fork a new thread.

This thread is about resellers other than BuyShared. The reasons why the OP wants to use a different provider are tangential and so far are 10/14 posts here.

raindog308 said: Folks, if we want to talk about BuyVM/BuyShared support issues

Well to be fair 50% of the OP's posts have been buyshared support related without prompt.

I don't really think forking, or the suggestion of it is necessary.

Thanked by 1chinmoy
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Got a ticket for me so I can take a look? We do PTRs all day long so I'm curious with who's mishandling your ticket.

Francisco

Found your ticket, here's the run down on why I passed word for cloudflare and PTR's.

A couple months ago we had this complete meltdown with this client over wanting a PTR for his IP and was using CF because he was eating DDOS non stop. We applied the PTR and then they went on an even longer tirade about how we're leaking their IP address. The case went around and around in circles and I simply stated "OK if they're using cloudflare they're on their own".

Valentin is right though, having a PTR won't help with any mail especially when you're using CF infront of it because every mailserver out there is going to see it doesn't match. We aren't going to set it to any random entry, it'll have to be a domain under your control. It's hilariously bad how many people request their PTR be microsoft.com or paypal.com or something to that affect.

As for the blips, that's just CentOS 7 + Cloudlinux + Litespeed being janky. Litespeed has committed a dozen or so rounds of fixes for this very issue (as early as last month I think) yet it still randomly happens. Our CentOS 6 boxes rarely if ever have Litespeed crash on them, they HUP just fine.

If you'd like I can swap you over to lv-shared01 which is Cent 6. While I'd love to get lu-shared02 & lu-shared04 swapped to CentOS 6 it's going to be a fustercluck of a mess.

Let me know what you want to do and I'll explain options further.

Thanked by 2vimalware Lunar
  • @Francisco said:
    Found your ticket, here's the run down on why I passed word for cloudflare and PTR's.

A couple months ago we had this complete meltdown with this client over wanting a PTR for his IP and was using CF because he was eating DDOS non stop. We applied the PTR and then they went on an even longer tirade about how we're leaking their IP address. The case went around and around in circles and I simply stated "OK if they're using cloudflare they're on their own".

Valentin is right though, having a PTR won't help with any mail especially when you're using CF infront of it because every mailserver out there is going to see it doesn't match. We aren't going to set it to any random entry, it'll have to be a domain under your control. It's hilariously bad how many people request their PTR be microsoft.com or paypal.com or something to that affect.

As for the blips, that's just CentOS 7 + Cloudlinux + Litespeed being janky. Litespeed has committed a dozen or so rounds of fixes for this very issue (as early as last month I think) yet it still randomly happens. Our CentOS 6 boxes rarely if ever have Litespeed crash on them, they HUP just fine.

If you'd like I can swap you over to lv-shared01 which is Cent 6. While I'd love to get lu-shared02 & lu-shared04 swapped to CentOS 6 it's going to be a fustercluck of a mess.

Let me know what you want to do and I'll explain options further.

Sorry for the delay - the girlfriend dragged me to see Beauty and the Beast!

Thanks for your response, however, it is incorrect when you are talking about the mail from address otherwise every person not hosting the site on the same server as their emails would have this issue.

The issue is that mail is coming from an IP without a PTR record. I am using SPF and DKIM for the domains I send mail from using your platform, as you provide IPs with no PTR by default this is ending up in the spam folder of gmail accounts for example. Checking the source within the gmail client shows that DKIM and SPF passed.

As for the issue with CentOS 7, I have asked in previous tickets but been told that there is no other option but to wait it out. I even asked if you had a more stable server I can be moved to in the mean time, again told by Val a flat no.

I can see you have responded to my email and will take it there

lukehebb said: As for the issue with CentOS 7, I have asked in previous tickets but been told that there is no other option but to wait it out. I even asked if you had a more stable server I can be moved to in the mean time, again told by Val a flat no.

It's quite possible 01's sold out, in which case I might not be able to help you there but I can always check. Litespeed has improved things, it used to be guaranteed to go down for a minute or two in the evenings but now it's a couple times a week. Still hate it but better than it was.

You're misunderstanding how a PTR works then. A PTR requires a matching forward A record, not just anything set and it's kosher. I proposed making it so mail.YOURDOMAIN point to the IP directly with CF's proxying disabled, that'd then address concerns all over.

Francisco

• @lukehebb said:
    From my experience with their support and their Luxembourg reseller server having regular downtime almost every day ranging from 5 minutes to two hours over the past few months, their reputation isn't well deserved imo. Of course, YMMV

I've had a good impression of their support, but I've also had regular, almost daily downtime in BuyShared's shared hosting package in Luxembourg, mostly in the 2-5 minutes range and sometimes 20 minutes. This, and the issues logging in via SSH were the reasons I didn't continue with them, which is too bad because it was a nice package, with SSH, rsync and Git at a very low price.

@quicksilver03 said:

@lukehebb said:

I've had a good impression of their support, but I've also had regular, almost daily downtime in BuyShared's shared hosting package in Luxembourg, mostly in the 2-5 minutes range and sometimes 20 minutes. This, and the issues logging in via SSH were the reasons I didn't continue with them, which is too bad because it was a nice package, with SSH, rsync and Git at a very low price.

Do you remember if you were on a CentOS 7 node? The SSH thing isn't nearly as common on the CentOS 6 ones but the random spats are very much CentOS 7.

Francisco

• @Francisco I think @lukehebb could make a mail.domain CNAME that points to his cloudflare-proxied domain, and then you could force a PTR, and then everything will be kosher under Internet Law. Am I wrong?

• Everything has been set up with @Francisco privately in email and is now working. Shame this could not have been done with support, but to the future and all that.

@lukehebb said:
    Everything has been set up with @Francisco privately in email and is now working. Shame this could not have been done with support, but to the future and all that.

It could've and would've but I guess me being west coast made it seem like I was ignoring it. My first reply to this thread was at 8AM.

Francisco

• WSSWSS Member

@jiggawattz said:
    @Francisco I think @lukehebb could make a mail.domain CNAME that points to his cloudflare-proxied domain, and then you could force a PTR, and then everything will be kosher under Internet Law. Am I wrong?

If he's planning on using it has an MX, it has to be an A record. CNAMEs are explicitly verboten.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited March 2017

I stand corrected - cheers

Somewhat related: RIPE reported an issue on Friday regarding rDNS failure for some delegations: https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/dns-wg/2017-March/003394.html

Maybe mailservers requiring a valid rDNS is not a good idea.

• @Francisco said:

@lukehebb said:
    Everything has been set up with @Francisco privately in email and is now working. Shame this could not have been done with support, but to the future and all that.

It could've and would've but I guess me being west coast made it seem like I was ignoring it. My first reply to this thread was at 8AM.

Francisco

To be fair to you - its not your fault. Trying support and then getting the issue escalated to you was the difficult part. Once I got to speak to you everything was sorted with ease

• @WSS said:

@jiggawattz said:
    @Francisco I think @lukehebb could make a mail.domain CNAME that points to his cloudflare-proxied domain, and then you could force a PTR, and then everything will be kosher under Internet Law. Am I wrong?

If he's planning on using it has an MX, it has to be an A record. CNAMEs are explicitly verboten.

CF does fix that through "CNAME flattening": https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169056-CNAME-Flattening-RFC-compliant-support-for-CNAME-at-the-root

Thanked by 1WSS
This discussion has been closed.